House Price Crash Forum

Dow Down

libitina

HOLA441

Why has it dropped so much today? Currently 102 ish down. Have the oil prices finally caught up with it?

Keep it simple please, I love watching how much the markets go up and down but really don't understand all the ins and outs........

HOLA442
HOLA443

Bubb,you have a point.

sentiment does amplify whichever market is in decline(or advance,whichever way you look at it)

9/11-stock market already declining,result=BIG declines for next 2 weeks then dead-cat bounce.

7/7-stock market advancing,result=initial fail then rebound,but bonds fall in next week(pretty much the opposite of 9/11),then further stock advances.

...so what's next???....could be as bubb suggests a flight to a stable(gold) currency in the wake of major geo event or more terrorism.....I think he's right,have been adding a bit of gold to the portfolio since march(the physical stuff),and just as a hedge on sterling it was doing quite nicely,but the breakout yesterday was pretty spectacular!.....I'm afraid this is based on only 2 principles!

1)I believe in the prophecies of nostradamus!

2)indians and chinese both have a great affinity for gold,so as they get richer they will buy more of it!

HOLA444
HOLA445

The Dow Jones is heading south at the time of writing (!6 August 16.05 GMT)

Any reason??

I am piling in short but the Dow is looking very sick and might test the 10,500 mark soon.

BEARS RULE FOR NOW

HOLA446

In my humble opinion we WILL see another hike in USA interest rates very very soon.

Inflation is bad on the other side of the pond as well as the UK and we WILL follow the USA in an interest rate hike perhaps in November 2005.

Stand by for a bloody awful Xmas you fools who buy property at inflated prices only to end up in negative equity.

The Dow Jones will test the 10,500 support level soon and then head down alll the way to 10,000.

High interest rates,profit warnings,unemployment up,sounds a bit like here

To be one step ahead of the herd keep reading this site and better still register and comment.

Thanks

HOLA447

Has anyone noticed the struggle of quite epic proportions between the bulls & the bears over the past couple of days on Wall Street.

I am a "born again bear" and agree that the 10,500 level of the Dow will be tested mighty soon and when breached sellers will pile in.

You have been warned.

HOLA448

The Dow Jones seems unable to hold on to early gains and is now entering negative ground.

Something sinister is cooking in the USA and it will hit the UK soon.

Watch this space and I am watching Wall Street with interest and the bull/bear struggle is awesome.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

At the time of writing the Dow Jones is weaker than my bladder.

The 10,500 support level is about to be tested.

Yours truly is "going short" on many of the index stocks.

WATCH OUT THE FTSE TOMORROW.

Well I have to use my proceeds from Sibneft somewhere and I have set many,many, bull traps.

More news tomorrow if I am able.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Thank you so much for your kind comments and my aim is to please.

Today will be rather quiet regarding the Dow Jones,more pressing matters concern my team's match against WBA tonight.

I can only suggest that my boys will win and the opening goal will be scored by either Crespo or Drogba.

Meanwhile the Dow Jones will continue its downward path.

More tomorrow

HOLA4415
Thank you so much  for your kind comments and my aim is to please.

Today will be rather quiet regarding the Dow Jones,more pressing matters concern my team's match against WBA tonight.

I can only suggest that my boys will win and the opening goal will be scored by either Crespo or Drogba.

Meanwhile the Dow Jones will continue its downward path.

More tomorrow

They didn't like the fall in durable goods and oil doesn't look like it is going down anytime soon. DOW down 35 points in first few minutes of trading, could be a big down day today.

EDIT: Eventually down 75 after being up earlier on higher house sale volumes. Gold had a tough old day hiting $435 at one point before bouncing of the top of the pennant formation, if this breakout holds we can expect $500 before Chistmas IMO

EDIT: CREDIT RISK CONCERNS - If those derivative boys screw things up then things could really hit the fan :ph34r:

Wall Street - U.S. stocks slide on energy, credit risk concerns - UPDATE 12

NEW YORK (AFX) -- U.S. stocks traded lower in the final stretch Wednesday

after oil prices tapped a new high and the New York Federal Reserve called a

meeting to discuss trading practices in the derivatives market, prompting

concern about a potential credit risk problem.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was sitting close to its low for the

session, down 76 points at 10,443.

Edited by Riser

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Bounce,what bounce on Wall Street?

I'm staking my reputation on a closing figure tomorrow(Friday 2 Sept) of 10,400 or lower.

Higher interest rates on the way in USA and higher taxes here in UK

What a nightmare scenario,only good for house price crash.

I have said repeatedly"hold on tight,the economy in the UK is like an elevator with a lunatic at the controls."

Watch this space.

HOLA4417
Bounce,what bounce on Wall Street?

I'm staking my reputation on a closing figure tomorrow(Friday 2 Sept) of 10,400 or lower.

Higher interest rates on the way in USA and higher taxes here in UK

What a nightmare scenario,only good for house price crash.

I have said repeatedly"hold on tight,the economy in the UK is like an elevator with a lunatic at the controls."

Watch this space.

Hate to say it but your reputation is looking to be lost as things stand right now :P

Perhaps things will change before the dow closes this evening but from what I've observed of the market these last few days I'm not as confident as you that we will be testing the 10400 level.

Though I accept I may be eating my hat a little later on ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Oh I get it wrong plenty as well :D

For what its worth, I too think we will be going below 10400 soon, just not today, next week seems a likely bet.

The movement in prices these last few days has been strange, well strange in my eyes anyway. Can any of you more learned market watchers offer some suggestions on the cause of the rapid up and down swings? Low trading volumes perhaps?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Here's an interesting read for anyone wondering why the Dow has been going up rather than down in response to Katrina

The Visible Hand of Uncle Sam

Most people probably assume that the U.S. stock market is free of government interference. It is acknowledged that the bond and currency markets are influenced by policy-makers, but equities are considered different territory altogether. Current mythology holds that share prices rise and fall on the basis of market forces alone.

Such sentiments appear to be seriously mistaken. A thorough examination of published information strongly suggests that since the October 1987 crash, the U.S. government has periodically intervened to prevent another destabilizing stock market fall. And as official rhetoric continues to toe the free market line, manipulation has become increasingly apparent. Some of these interventions have apparently occurred with the active participation of selected investment banks and brokerage houses. In this regard, evidence from credible sources, including a former top adviser to President Clinton, appears to confirm the existence of a so-called “Plunge Protection Team” (PPT). This group is not simply the figment of creative imaginations, and we are not alone in this conclusion. Indeed, Todd Stein and Steven McIntyre of the Texas Hedge Report stated in 2004 that, “Almost every floor trader on the NYSE, NYMEX, CBOT and CME will admit to having seen the PPT in action in one form or another over the years.” Much of the information is evidence of intent to intervene, rather than proof of manipulative activities themselves. This amounts to a distinction without a significant difference. That the government has given such serious consideration to supporting the stock market demonstrates its willingness to cross an important line, violating the traditional American belief in unfettered markets. It underscores the notion that the health and stability of the market represents an integral part of national security, thereby justifying government action when financial peril looms.

Edited by Riser

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm recouping my losses by "shorting" the Dow Jones

It's dropping like a stone today after yesterdays fall and there ain't no stopping me now.

Join in fellow readers and get some Xmas spending cash in early.

BEARS RULE O K !

HOLA4424

Ho Ho Ho

The Dow Jones has jusy breached 10,370 ( a support level)

All the way down to 10.300 very very soon.

This has profound effects for the FTSE and house prices!!!!!!!

Watch this space, you know it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425