House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Who Knows

Expats Forum

Occasionally I browse the Britishexpats forum as I have had thoughts of spending a couple of years in OZ/New Zealand. They seem a nice enough lot (some are a little too 'fluffy' for my slightly cynical nature). However they seems to be an overwhelming lack of knowledge about UK or Australian markets and some people seem to be embarking on what looks like financially ruinous projects (that no amount of fluffiness or Karma) will help.

I tried posting a couple of times - I’m a fairly moderate bear (by this sites standards im closer to Yogi than your fully blown grizzly) yet my tepid and cautious advise was treated with scorn.

All I related was that I was relocated last July (a move of 200 miles, not the other side of the world) and had to give some serious thought about my options. I will keep it brief:

1. Didnt know the area I was moving to

2. My flat had risen in value so much that a large percentage of people that would want to buy it, could no longer afford to

3. I perceived the economy, job and housing market to be vulnerable.

Conclusion

1. Renting it out undesirable - too great a distance to keep a close eye on, too many risks with void periods and profits not much more attractive than popping money in high interest account.

2. Did not want to buy in new area

3. Put flat up for less than all 3 EA's valued it and be flexible and open to offers

Result - sold after a reasonable period at what turned out to be the peak

Yet those moving to the other side of the world do not seem to thinking things through - and are making all sorts of rash judgments and being inflexible and even berating viewers for wanting money off or being choosy in a buyers market.

I wont post there any more but I think lot of the support and 'advise' offered to posters on the forum, whilst being very soothing is actually quite scary, ill informed and could possibly end in the recipient becoming bankrupt.

Think Ill stick here with you angry, grumpy sods - at least I know that your advice will be based on the markets not on trying to befriend a (virtual) stranger.

They do seem to be quite clueless for supposed international arbitrageurs! The way to emigrate is: 1) sell your property; 2) see how much cash you have; 3) make plans based on cash, not dreams.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH.

JY

Edited by JustYield

Funnily enough, I've just joined the expats forum, as I'm looking to head to NZ. I think I may not mention HPC while I'm there - I might not be that popular. However I will send HPC links to any particularly blatant whinging.

("But why won't they pay £200,000 more than I did for this house? I can't [won't]understand.....")

Funnily enough, I've just joined the expats forum, as I'm looking to head to NZ. I think I may not mention HPC while I'm there - I might not be that popular. However I will send HPC links to any particularly blatant whinging.

("But why won't they pay £200,000 more than I did for this house? I can't [won't]understand.....")

Whatever you do DONT mention HPC - Like a red rag to a bull (forgive the pun) they see the three letters and all sense of logic and reasoning is drained from the reader - no matter how pragmatic and sound your advise may be.

Your best off getting a NICE avatar (preferably an animated duck or kitten or something) and use LOTS of positive language.

CAUTION is another thing to be avoided - remember NEGHEADS get nowhere.

Also remember to agree fervantly with everyone all the time over any topic or you may just cause offense.

The forum has overtones of a Californian self help seminar ... oops starting to get negative and aggresive must be the vibes here B)

guys you have to understand these people dont spend there days trolling economic data and learning what it all means to the economy ect.

The nearest they get to doing that is watching kisrty the clown and sideshow phil, reading the sun and talking to there friends who do the same.

Its only a very small minority of people that spend there time looking at charts and reading up on peak oil or soaking up any data or opinions they can.

these people probably dont even vote, and have probably never watched panorama or newsmight in there life.

the sort of stuff we discuss and muse over would bore them to tears.

we gotta just leave them in there ignorance while we discuss the things that were intrested in :)

boredtrainbuilder

have we got to all go live in the jungles of borneo eating out of the heads of monkeys before we qualify?

:PP

Oi - my wife's from the jungles of Borneo and she's never eaten out of the heads of monkeys either (eaten practically everything else that crawls, flies or swims there though...)

have we got to all go live in the jungles of borneo eating out of the heads of monkeys before we qualify?

Yes, there's a scale of difficulty as follows. The higher up this scale the more of an expat you are:

Provincial UK - 0

Aus/NZ - 0.5

London - 1

Japan - 5

Jungles of Borneo - 7.5

Far side of the moon - 9

Paris - 10

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

They seem a nice enough lot (some are a little too 'fluffy' for my slightly cynical nature).

What on earth makes you think that?

A key question

I read the expats forum (I'm a fully qualified ex-pat not a wanabee) and a few things amaze me:

1) How little research people seem to do/have done before moving half way or quarter way round the world

2) How desperate many seem to want the new place to be like home. If you liked it "back home" why move?

3) How shocked they are that other western countries have similar problems to the UK. This seems particularly prevalent with those moving to Oz.

If the house price bubble in the UK can be blamed on the property shows, then the whole "we're getting out of this place" stampede can be blamed on the "Get a new life" type shows. My guess is that producers of those shows chose particular familes to make good stories. We wouldn't want to feature in one of those shows but I doubt we'd have made good TV:

Our move to Canada had been on the cards since 1994 (when I married a Canuck). Since that time we visited each of the cities that we were considering and saved/paid down the mortgage in the expectation of going. Once we thought the housing market in London was peaking we sold. We had been buying CAD in increeasing amounts as the GBP rose, although we didn't quite hit its peak when we changed the house money (I bottled out at 5c below the top)

We knew we could survive on investement income and anything else would be a bonus. That said part of the reason we chose Alberta was the state of its economy.

The expat forum is entertaining and in some ways its a good barometer of the housing market as those with houses to sell are the first people in line who "have to sell". There will be many others like them in the coming months.

LOL

Key question - probably the most important thing you need to know!

Yeah I am horrified by the lack of insight many have about the places they are going to - also by the 'pie in the sky' idealism

but more scary is the idea that a positive outlook is more importnat than a clear idea and sound financial planning.

They seem to have a chin up and all is OK perspective rather than looking at why they are moving, how they will integrate and how they are going to finance the move. I

fear a lot of it hinges on getting top dollar for their houses - i have even seen advise to rent and buy (2 mortgages and no guaranteed job!)

others that need to sell at top dollar to clear debts - then blame vendors for being time wasters - rather than slowing down the process and getting finances and work secured overses before moving.

Madness but Karma seems like a great cure all ...

To be honest, I think you probably need a bit of naive optimism to go through the stress and hassle of moving to another country: most people who don't will give up well before they get there.

I'm hoping to be in Alberta myself at the end of next year, but at least I should have enough money to buy a decent house for cash and even if I can't get a job my girlfriend says I can stay at home and be a 'house-boyfriend' while she works :). Luckily I don't have to sell a place here to fund my trip, though an increase in the value of my stock options would be nice...

Edited by MarkG

To be honest, I think you probably need a bit of naive optimism to go through the stress and hassle of moving to another country: most people who don't will give up well before they get there.

I'm hoping to be in Alberta myself at the end of next year, but at least I should have enough money to buy a decent house for cash and even if I can't get a job my girlfriend says I can stay at home and be a 'house-boyfriend' while she works :). Luckily I don't have to sell a place here to fund my trip, though an increase in the value of my stock options would be nice...

Dont get me wrong - I admire the spirit, just feel it could end in tears for some

Good luck in Alberta when you go - sounds like a very understanding girlfriend you have there!

Dont get me wrong - I admire the spirit, just feel it could end in tears for some

Seems to end in tears for quite a few, from the look of the 'coming back to the UK' forum.

Good luck in Alberta when you go - sounds like a very understanding girlfriend you have there!

That's why I'm willing to move to the other side of the Atlantic (she lived here for a year but didn't want to stay) :).