House Price Crash Forum

Brother In Law Wants To Buy House

HOLA441

My brother in law and his girlfriend are house hunting. Fair enough you may think. However, my brother in law is a care worker who has recently had his hours reduced and his girlfriend is a mature drama student who is currently racking up student debts.

Apparently her brother, who is canny enough to know house prices only go up, is lending them £30k as a deposit. I've been told they have a £100k mortgage arranged. WTF?! £15k joint income, is that legal??

Here's the really funny bit. He phoned my mother in law today, to ask to borrow money (after hardly phoning for the last 2 months) and asked if she thought I might be able to lend him some.

LMAO, where to begin?!. I think I'd have as much chance of explaining why it is a very bad idea to buy now to him as to my 3 year old son.

Feckless, clueless, muppetry beyond belief!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My brother in law and his girlfriend are house hunting. Fair enough you may think. However, my brother in law is a care worker who has recently had his hours reduced and his girlfriend is a mature drama student who is currently racking up student debts.

Apparently her brother, who is canny enough to know house prices only go up, is lending them £30k as a deposit. I've been told they have a £100k mortgage arranged. WTF?! £15k joint income, is that legal??

Here's the really funny bit. He phoned my mother in law today, to ask to borrow money (after hardly phoning for the last 2 months) and asked if she thought I might be able to lend him some.

LMAO, where to begin?!. I think I'd have as much chance of explaining why it is a very bad idea to buy now to him as to my 3 year old son.

Don't be so rash. I'm sure that the mature drama student will be rubbing shoulders with the impossibly rich and famous very soon.

Is that a bit out of order? Sorry.

HOLA443

Based on that assumption, it's a wise investment decision. Remember that "prices only go up" is still ingrained in most peoples mind - and there are not many places in the MSM where it is challenged :)

HOLA444

Pretty sad that we're seeing a few anecdotes of this nature - people can no longer afford to buy at the peak so they borrow from family. Then in 2 years time all the families break up because of big fights over lost money.

Don't give him a penny (but be nice about it !)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The thing that makes me go "eh" is...

Don't people budget? I mean, get a piece of paper and write down money coming in in one column and then money going out in the other? Because that would be all that is needed for them to see they won't be able to afford it. My only guess is they (and people like them) do but they fudge and bluster and put down £50 a month for food bills or something stupid, to make the sums "fit". They clearly don't go online and check mortgage calculators and click the "what if interest rates went to X%" because if they are scraping by now, imagine if rates went up.

It never ceases to amaze me when people only see as far as their nose, in this case "getting a house" and don't look beyond to paying the debt.

But worse, who the hell is lending them the money for the mortgage? Are they mad? Is it actually legal?

HOLA4418

The thing that makes me go "eh" is...

Don't people budget? I mean, get a piece of paper and write down money coming in in one column and then money going out in the other? Because that would be all that is needed for them to see they won't be able to afford it. My only guess is they (and people like them) do but they fudge and bluster and put down £50 a month for food bills or something stupid, to make the sums "fit". They clearly don't go online and check mortgage calculators and click the "what if interest rates went to X%" because if they are scraping by now, imagine if rates went up.

It never ceases to amaze me when people only see as far as their nose, in this case "getting a house" and don't look beyond to paying the debt.

But worse, who the hell is lending them the money for the mortgage? Are they mad? Is it actually legal?

Im afraid this is the mentality of 20 somethings in the UK. My niece and her boyfriend (oh no Ive started another relationship riddle.....) recieved a lot of pressure from their friends to buy a house 'while they could still get on the ladder' and because prices 'would only ever go up'. All I heard was 'blah blah is buying a house.... and blah blah is buying a house so we have to...' evidently they are now up to their necks in debt and cant afford to go on holidays, eat out or run the car.

edit: to add to that they cannot afford to start a family as they just about cover their outgoings on 2 above average wages.

Edited by Neil B

HOLA4419

Maybe the OP's girlfriend could apply to you for said loan through the medium of mime.

And then you could reply likewise by shaking your head from side to side and then enact a tragic death rattle, before suggesting she get some IT skills, in a dramatic finale resembling a hard-working computer analyst in an office.

A bit like Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Im afraid this is the mentality of 20 somethings in the UK. My niece and her boyfriend (oh no Ive started another relationship riddle.....) recieved a lot of pressure from their friends to buy a house 'while they could still get on the ladder' and because prices 'would only ever go up'. All I heard was 'blah blah is buying a house.... and blah blah is buying a house so we have to...' evidently they are now up to their necks in debt and cant afford to go on holidays, eat out or run the car.

True, but it's not just the 20somethings. I have had plenty of pressure from 50something relatives to get on and buy, no arithmetic involved, just meaningless advice like "house prices always go up in the long run" and "just think, with the money you're paying in rent you could be buying something instead". I think for a lot of people buying a house is not so much a financial decision involving boring old numbers and pound signs (yawn!), it's more like a religious conversion involving faith and aspiration. Foxtons should employ a priest to baptise you on the day you move in and wash away the smell of renter.

HOLA4423

Well done to those of you who worked out that I am indeed talking about my wifes brother.

He's a nice enough bloke but would probably spend his life in front of the TV if no one told him to get off his ar5e. At 30 and a care worker, I believe he has reached the pinnacle of his career.

In short this is entirely his girlfriends idea - which is fortunate as it's her brother lending them the deposit. IMO opinion the sooner they go bankrupt the less painful it will be for them, the alternative is a live of drudgery living in a sh!t house in Shitsville.

Hopefully my in laws won't be putting any money up, however, a recent conversation with my mother-in-law was quite enlightening in terms of the mentality and re-enforcement of the home owning mantra.

I said house prices were overpriced, she said, well that's what they said when we bought. Without getting out the graphs you can't really argue with that attitude

HOLA4424

I said house prices were overpriced, she said, well that's what they said when we bought. Without getting out the graphs you can't really argue with that attitude

Then get out the graphs.

I did it with my parents. I pointed out where in the cycle I bought my house and they bought theirs. Now I am selling my house and they are selling theirs.

Edited by scottbeard

HOLA4425

Let's face it - the brother in law is right.

If anyone still believes house prices can go down when, in the face of a credit crunch and the worst recession since the war they have gone up, then I think you have to question the sanity of people who believe house prices will go down.

I want house prices to go down, I'm no longer daft enough to think they will.