House Price Crash Forum
Hairlocks

Letting Fees

Is it normal for estate agents to charge me the person who wants to rent £180-£200 fees for a credit check etc.. so I am allowed to rent somewhere?

Any idea if this is negoiable. I don't mind paying £200 to show I am serious, if it later went towards by deposit or 1st month rent, but for it just to disappear does not sound right. :(

Is it normal for estate agents to charge me the person who wants to rent £180-£200 fees for a credit check etc.. so I am allowed to rent somewhere?

Any idea if this is negoiable. I don't mind paying £200 to show I am serious, if it later went towards by deposit or 1st month rent, but for it just to disappear does not sound right. :(

Morning Hairlocks. When we rented our place a year ago, we were charged about £20 for a credit check for both of us by the letting agents. The fees you mention seem really excessive...perhaps the agents aren't doing so well??????

I'd query this big time and perhaps check around other local letting agents as to what their fees are for a credit check.

Good luck!

Morning Hairlocks. When we rented our place a year ago, we were charged about £20 for a credit check for both of us by the letting agents.  The fees you mention seem really excessive...perhaps the agents aren't doing so well??????

I'd query this big time and perhaps check around other local letting agents as to what their fees are for a credit check.

Good luck!

I thought that charging for that was illegal, but you would have to check (this topic hasn't been raised in my life since 1998, but there was something illegal about charging to be on lists etc. back then). The acts around rental are quite specific.

Thanks for the reply's, i think the fee is legal because it is for a security check, I just don't like it. The best way not to pay the fee is going to be not to use an EA.

Does anyone have any advice on renting privately? e.g. how to check out the landlord/lady etc..