House Price Crash Forum

Shelter's Chicken/house Prices Ad

HOLA441

I saw an ad from Shelter at the station today, along the lines of

If food prices had risen the same as house prices this (chicken) would cost £47.51

Here's their press release.

http://media.shelter.org.uk/Press-releases/Average-weekly-grocery-bill-420-if-it-had-risen-in-line-with-house-prices-2cb.aspx

I seem to remember back in 2007/8 they were not quite getting the big picture and were campaigning for cheaper mortgages, or something counter-productive like that.

MSM failing dismally though... Only four articles mentioning chicken 47.51

http://news.google.co.uk/news/search?as_q=chicken+47.51

HOLA442
HOLA443

Estate agent chains plan to open chicken franchises in Tesco

If food prices had risen the same as house prices this (chicken) would cost £47.51

http://media.shelter.org.uk/Press-releases/Average-weekly-grocery-bill-420-if-it-had-risen-in-line-with-house-prices-2cb.aspx

I seem to remember back in 2007/8 they were not quite getting the big picture and were campaigning for cheaper mortgages, or something counter-productive like that.

HOLA444

They're a good charity, even if they, as you said they do spout the mainstream lies about what needs to be done on housing. Their hotline gives good advice if you have rental issues.

I have dodged Shelter chuggers, though. I go right off a charity that uses chuggers.

Bloody chuggers.

At least Shelter are getting the message across strongly there.

HOLA445

And the governments solution has been: part own/part rent schemes which does nothing to address the issue housing is over-priced.

The solution would be to have a correction; the governments solution was to pump 200 billion of QE and cut interest rates to 0.5% to re-inflate the bubble.

Whatever happened to the free market?

HOLA446
HOLA447

http://media.shelter...prices-2cb.aspx

http://news.google.c...q=chicken+47.51

I saw it too. It hit me straight away, so I hope that it will have the same impact on the 'sheeple' too. I took a photo of it as well (I was a bit p1ssed).

IMG_0570.JPG

post-6124-12666511314424_thumb.jpg

HOLA448

And the governments solution has been: part own/part rent schemes which does nothing to address the issue housing is over-priced.

The solution would be to have a correction; the governments solution was to pump 200 billion of QE and cut interest rates to 0.5% to re-inflate the bubble.

and its a logical solution in the minds of MANY.

they see the price.

they see their income and capital.

they see a shortfall.

they see the banks HAVE to lend...otherwise, they cant afford the house.

This is the lie that has been perpetuated, marketed and embedded in the peoples psyche by the finance industry....that they are REQUIRED to bridge the gap in what one can afford and what one has to pay.

People dont think it is actually the other way round...PRICES are kept up only by the borrowing.

Imagine a world where mortgages were banned on private housing....how much would houses be? they'd be what people could pay from their pocketbook.

Politicians, will bend with the wind....they will use the peoples own logic to show they are doing the right thing...bridge the resource/price gap with "help".

HOLA449

and its a logical solution in the minds of MANY.

they see the price.

they see their income and capital.

they see a shortfall.

they see the banks HAVE to lend...otherwise, they cant afford the house.

This is the lie that has been perpetuated, marketed and embedded in the peoples psyche by the finance industry....that they are REQUIRED to bridge the gap in what one can afford and what one has to pay.

People dont think it is actually the other way round...PRICES are kept up only by the borrowing.

Imagine a world where mortgages were banned on private housing....how much would houses be? they'd be what people could pay from their pocketbook.

Politicians, will bend with the wind....they will use the peoples own logic to show they are doing the right thing...bridge the resource/price gap with "help".

You've hit the nail on the head. High house prices are a form modern day serfdom. The difference between now and Dickensian England is that these days it's all done electronically. Slavery and exploitation never really died, it was just virtualised.

HOLA4410

what sort of markup can you get on a chicken if you knock through the rib cage to create an open plan stuffing space?

HOLA4411

The free market will bite back with avengence - house prices will be very very cheap at some point in the next decade or so.

The govt machinations will make it worse.

The sheeple will be pale with shock when they think iot thru after the event.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

dont worry shelter, chickens WILL cost £47 when we get (hyper)inflation

Well lets hope we get wage inflation too with that scenario........... or there's going to be a a hell of a lot of fresh chicken sat in the chiller cabinet of aisle 9.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You've hit the nail on the head. High house prices are a form modern day serfdom. The difference between now and Dickensian England is that these days it's all done electronically. Slavery and exploitation never really died, it was just virtualised.

Brilliant post.

A lad I knew from Ghana, living in the UK said, 'Before the British used to enslave us [black folks] physically. Now they enslave their own people, mentally'.

Smart lad, folk musician.

HOLA4417

From reading the press release, house purchase prices have gone up at 3 times the rate of grocery prices. This means that the figures for groceries would be three times what they actually are, so the chicken should be about £13.80, not £47.51 and the washing powder £12, not £28.53. Average house prices were never £227,765 in 2008.

Shelter have spread misinformation to put across their message, and it does them no credit. Those who are the most vulnerable are unable to afford basic rented accommodation and this should be the main target group for Shelter, not aspiring purchasers. Moreover, home ownership was far less commonplace in 1971 than now.

Overall, a pathetic campaign. Poor show, Shelter.

HOLA4418

From reading the press release, house purchase prices have gone up at 3 times the rate of grocery prices. This means that the figures for groceries would be three times what they actually are, so the chicken should be about £13.80, not £47.51 and the washing powder £12, not £28.53. Average house prices were never £227,765 in 2008.

Shelter have spread misinformation to put across their message, and it does them no credit. Those who are the most vulnerable are unable to afford basic rented accommodation and this should be the main target group for Shelter, not aspiring purchasers. Moreover, home ownership was far less commonplace in 1971 than now.

Overall, a pathetic campaign. Poor show, Shelter.

So, to acquire a property for rental, does one not have to purchase it beforehand?

HOLA4419

So, to acquire a property for rental, does one not have to purchase it beforehand?

The ad made no reference to rental yields, which are less than half what they were in 1971. There is not sufficient reasonable quality affordable rented property as it has been sold off. That should be the main focus for Shelter.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The lower the purchase price, the cheaper it can be rented out for.

There is a link. Most of the cheap rentals around today are the result of people buying 10 years ago and holding on to it.

You can soon spot the recently bought ones, they're usually newbuild, decked out with garish furniture/ laminate flooring, tiny bedrooms and 50% more expensive. I saw one I liked recently, but I'm not going for it on principle, it can stay on the market for another 4 months. ;)

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4422

The lower the purchase price, the cheaper it can be rented out for.

There is a link. Most of the cheap rentals around today are the result of people buying 10 years ago and holding on to it.

You can soon spot the recently bought ones, they're usually newbuild, decked out with garish furniture/ laminate flooring, tiny bedrooms and 50% more expensive. I saw one I liked recently, but I'm not going for it on principle, it can stay on the market for another 4 months. ;)

Complete rubbish. If I sold a house for a pound to a private landlord, they would want the same rent as if it cost them £100,000.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Complete rubbish. If I sold a house for a pound to a private landlord, they would want the same rent as if it cost them £100,000.

They might WANT that much rent but they'd be prepared to settle for less in order to get a tenant in.

This is one of those strange quirks in the rental market.

Landlords who have owned the property a long time and as a result have zero or low mortgage tend to rent the places out cheaper but have little or no turnover in tenants and no voids. As a result of offering a lower rent, they can pick and choose their tenants, resulting in fewer problems and maintenance needs.

As the market starts to implode, rental demand plummets as people short of cash move back with their parents to save cash and everyone else looks to rent out a room to supplement their income. The rental market grinds to a halt and only people who can offer good properties at aggressive prices can get a tenant. At this point everyone who bought BTL near peak losses their first their tenants and then their shirts.

HOLA4425