House Price Crash Forum
DRS

Why Are Some People Here So Bitter

Hi, I'm a newbie and have read some really interesting stuff here.

I have observed that some are taking a sensible investors view of their own balance of what might happen. There seems to also be a significant proportion that are very angry about profits that have been made by some from property. They seem to express anger and wish failure upon anyone who seeks to profit from property here or abroad.

There also seems to be anger towards estate agents, MAs etc. These are not the people I would choose to share a beer with but are selling something that people want to buy.

So the question is: are all the angry people on here just bitter that they got left behind whilst everybody else got rich

ps I am not a propery investor of any magnitude

I have observed that some are taking a sensible investors view of their own balance of what might happen. There seems to also be a significant proportion that are very angry about profits that have been made by some from property. They seem to express anger and wish failure upon anyone who seeks to profit from property here or abroad.

There also seems to be anger towards estate agents, MAs etc. These are not the people I would choose to share a beer with but are selling something that people want to buy.

So the question is: are all the angry people on here just bitter that they got left behind whilst everybody else got rich

Left behind you say, mmm let me think.

I rent a s*****y 3 bed detached for 1/2 what a mortgage would be, drive a flash, will I think so car and have a rather well paying job, I think you've got the wrong forum old chum, all newbies are welcome here if they have a valid contribution to make otherwise they can f***off.

Edited by Dicky

I can only speak for myself, I am angry that I 'know' prices will fall significantly that the economy will suffer from the fall and that we are systematically being pick pocketed by this government.

I have a small family and would dearly like to get into a reasonably priced house with a garden that would leave me with enough change to take them out for the odd day out or even a holiday!

Currently any house that fits my criterea in my area is approx. £330K this is approx. £120K over trend. (The trend I am using involves 2 booms and only one bust so is quite generous)

It cost between 100-120K to build a decent house without the economies of scale.

The UK is only 7% built apon.

Therefore instead of getting on with my life I am forced to wait for a correction.

Incedently the cost of the extra 120K per month for 25 years is £736 at 5.5% which is historically low.

I rent a s*****y 3 bed detached for 1/2 what a mortgage would be, drive a flash, will I think so car and have a rather well paying job, I think you've got the wrong forum old chum, all newbies are welcome here if they have a valid contribution to make otherwise they can f***off.

I really don't think this is necessary...grow up

I'm sure DRS wanted a general view of why some are bitter. Instead of abusing, you should be welcoming him.

Well welcome to HPC mate.

Edited by Boom'n'Bust

I can only speak for myself, I am angry that I 'know' prices will fall significantly that the economy will suffer from the fall and that we are systematically being pick pocketed by this government.

I have a small family and would dearly like to get into a reasonably priced house with a garden that would leave me with enough change to take them out for the odd day out or even a holiday!

Currently any house that fits my criterea in my area is approx. £330K this is approx. £120K over trend. (The trend I am using involves 2 booms and only one bust so is quite generous)

It cost between 100-120K to build a decent house without the economies of scale.

The UK is only 7% built apon.

Therefore instead of getting on with my life I am forced to wait for a correction.

Incedently the cost of the extra 120K per month for 25 years is £736 at 5.5% which is historically low.

At last, someone gets it. The reason for ridiculously high house prices is restrictive planning policies driven by a NIMBY mentality. As you say, only 7% of this country is developed, yet we constantly hear this complaint that the UK is a small and over populated country.

Here are a few figures. Agricultural land in S England is worth 3k per acre max. With planning permission for an average housing estate the value increases to a minimum of 750k for exactly the same acre. The difference is merely a line drawn on a map by a council planning officer.

We are not short of land in this country, merely land with planning permission. Tell that to your local politicians.

I'm not quite sure what the fact that you live in a sh88ty rented house and drive a flash car has to do with anything. I also never made any inference as to how much or little people earn from their jobs. :rolleyes:

I take it you do not own this forum and therefore have no right to tell me to fxxk off. Its also very rude, vulgar and childlike. :P

I would suggest that unless YOU would like to discuss in an adult fashion the thread I've started YOU go elsewhere. If you choose the former than please take some time to read my topic B)

ps have fun in your sh88ty house and I quote 'a flash will I think so car'. Whatever that gibberish means :lol:

Some people would say

I personally don't think anyone is angry, I think people are frustrated - like another poster said, his life is on hold waiting for a correction - same with me really, I'm not angry because my bank account is flush with thousands and thousands, I CHOOSE not to spend it on an asset that is over inflated.

As the market corrects you will see anger, but it will be from the people who overstretched themselves, as they pack up and leave their homes, stopping by the bank to hand in the keys.

They've had "Their time" and soon it will be mine - goes around, comes around and nothing depicts this better then the rising and falling of asset markets.

Listen, Sonny Jim, I wouldn't argue with him, he's got more posts than you.

My name is not Sonny Jim (for the record) and I wasn't aware that the number of posts you had made any difference? Surely your not suggesting that only those that post constantly can have a say on here? Does it hurt to be polite to others, or is it a case of treating others as you would like them to treat you, in which case god help him if that is how he treats people...

Does anyone know any FTB's who bought property in 1989?? I wonder if they were bitter in 1993? Sh*t happens.....

At last, someone gets it. The reason for ridiculously high house prices is restrictive planning policies driven by a NIMBY mentality. As you say, only 7% of this country is developed, yet we constantly hear this complaint that the UK is a small and over populated country.

Here are a few figures. Agricultural land in S England is worth 3k per acre max. With planning permission for an average housing estate the value increases to a minimum of 750k for exactly the same acre. The difference is merely a line drawn on a map by a council planning officer.

We are not short of land in this country, merely land with planning permission. Tell that to your local politicians.

Planning laws are fairly restrictive, but I don't think there is a lack of housing supply in the UK. If there was, rents would have gone up as much as purchase prices, which they have not at all.

Bubbles can happen even when supply and demand are matched up. In 1636-1637 there was a huge speculative bubble in the netherlands based on the trading of tulip bulbs. Do you think there was a shortage of tulip bulbs?

http://www.holland.nl/uk/holland/sights/tulips-history.html

frugalista

I'm not quite sure what the fact that you live in a  sh88ty rented  house and drive a flash car has to do with anything. I also never made any inference as to how much or little people earn from their jobs. :rolleyes:

I take it you do not own this forum and therefore have no right to tell me to fxxk off. Its also very rude, vulgar and childlike. :P

I would suggest that unless YOU would like to discuss in an adult fashion the thread I've started YOU go elsewhere. If you choose the former than please take some time to read my topic B)

ps have fun in your sh88ty house and I quote 'a flash will I think so car'. Whatever that gibberish means :lol:

Some people would say

I wrote sw4nky not sh**ty, the cr4ppy software on this site got sw4nk confused with the word w4nk and editted it out, all clear now.

Edited by Dicky

Thanks some sensible replies.

I understand everyones concerns about the affordabilty of housing and agree with alot of it.

Everybody except Dick seems to have a very sensible attitude and opinion. But I do sense alot of anger. Here is an example. On the international forum somebody asks about investing in Bulgaria, one reply says something like ' thats right buy property there so you price the locals out. I hope you get stung'

This to me sounds almost like extreme communist rhetoric/sentiment

The simple truth.

The so called "representatives of the people" have, over decades, refused to sort this, irrespective of party.

NIMBies and now the "Greens" provide a spurious justification for the insanity of the so called planning regulations.

I wrote sw4nky not sh**ty, the cr4ppy software on this site got sw4nk confused with the word w4nk and editted it out, all clear now.

Good. Enjoy your s*****y 3 bed detached house and flash car and well paid job. Work on your interpersonal skills :rolleyes:

But you see, it doesn't make sense that some people on the same or lower incomes than others should be 'rich' while others who actually have more liquid money than them should be 'poor'.

if you don't understand that there's some kind of imbalance there which will be redressed, then perhaps we might question your mental capacities?

edit to add:

And don't give us the line that those who have gone up to the hilt in debt 'buying' property are somehow braver or brighter than the rest of us. That dog don't hunt.

Edited by Withnail

Planning laws are fairly restrictive, but I don't think there is a lack of housing supply in the UK. If there was, rents would have gone up as much as purchase prices, which they have not at all.

Bubbles can happen even when supply and demand are matched up. In 1636-1637 there was a huge speculative bubble in the netherlands based on the trading of tulip bulbs. Do you think there was a shortage of tulip bulbs?

http://www.holland.nl/uk/holland/sights/tulips-history.html

frugalista

I disagree. By definition, bubbles only happen when supply and demand are mismatched. In the Dutch Tulip mania, there was a shortage of tulips. Alot of people wanted to own a tulip yet since it took a year for a new tulip to grow , supply was limited and prices went up. As more tulip bulbs were produced (and everyone realised that a tulip was merely a tulip), prices crashed.

Its exactly the same with housing. Release more land for development and the land value of property (versus the build cost) will fall.

Thanks some sensible replies.

I understand everyones concerns about the affordabilty of housing and agree with alot of it.

Everybody except Dick seems to have a very sensible attitude and opinion. But I do sense alot of anger. Here is an example. On the international forum somebody asks about investing in Bulgaria, one reply says something like ' thats right buy property there so you price the locals out. I hope you get stung'

This to me sounds almost like extreme communist rhetoric/sentiment

I think high house prices have caused a lot of anger and resentment in the UK.

Not just with FTBs either. Most people I know with expensive houses still are broke or maybe I should say house poor and very resentfull of being forced to pay so much for somewhere to live with space for a family.

op you have to understand

this site is full of hard working, decent and intelligent people.

and there all living in shitholes or handing over half there wage cheque every month, or having the indignity of a landlord prying into there personal life and affairs every month.

And on top of this they watch many dumber, lazier swine in this country acting as if there smarter and better than them.The housing boom has misaligned the laws of nature where the hard working educated or smart savers get on in this world. instead we are all watching just people lucky enough to be old enough or lucky enough or inherited enough, or have parents willing to sell there soul enough, treating us as there underdogs.

sure were darn angry and will continue to stay so untill we get what we deserve, and thats just a economy that once again benifits the hard working just like it has for our parents and grandparents.Then we can all go out again using our money to make this country competitive and great again.Instead of all putting everything into having a roof over our heads.

I think what irks the vast majority of the people that frequent this forum is the arrogant attitude that has been exhibitedb more and more with every passing year that this stupid state of affairs has gone on.Everybody knows that the numbers stopped adding up a long time ago on the logical side of being a first time buyer and still the market kept cannoning along regardless.We have a state of affairs know that we have never seen before and could well never see again.Average earnings are now just so out of line with property prices that we have rural communities literally dying.Give it a few more years and we will no doubt hear that the birth rate has fallen further still because people will just not have anywhere near the number of children past generations did.There has never been so many british born citizens leaving to reside abroad because of the pathetically poor existance we seem to want to inflict on the young.We are pricing the young out of having any kind of decent existence and we seem to be doing it with a big grin on our faces.Well count me out when it comes to having no conscience because we just seem to have crossed a really rather loathsome point with all this speculation.It is seemingly becoming clearer by the day that this is a war between the generations that could get very very messy indeed.

DRS,

I don't think it is communism, just strong anti-greed sentiment.

Most people here don't seem to be greedy, are hard working and financially responsible

(probably a sweeping generalisation).

Such folk have had to sit by and watch greed driven and idiotic poeple push the price beyond their reach, with the government and banks as willing participants - all in the name of a fast buck.

As is feared, the ensuing bust will affect all of us, responsible or not, greedy or not.

I think that's where the anger comes from.

Just my £0.02

I suspect you are in a different situation, which is why it is so unfamiliar...?

ABB