House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Where The Weekly Question Time Thread

As per topic really. Very, very dull tonight. Got lively when discussing steel then fizzled out. Not sure who the Tory was.

The tory was a prospective candidate. Did a stint in Afghanistan. I thought he was a good lad.

The progrmme is not wortha serious mention anymore. On a day with brain melting debt announced, they concluded with a debate on Stephen Gaybloke.

The fiscal horror was not mentioned. Once.

The tory was a prospective candidate. Did a stint in Afghanistan. I thought he was a good lad.

The progrmme is not wortha serious mention anymore. On a day with brain melting debt announced, they concluded with a debate on Stephen Gaybloke.

The fiscal horror was not mentioned. Once.

Yes and the opening question was about Gordon Browns tear jerking performance on ITV.

Pants.

An audience member seemed to know what he was talking about, on steel, so they had to move quickly on of course, and get back to celebrities.

Edited by TheReturnofRover2000

I'm starting to think they shouldn't allow the audience to pick the questions, or at least pick an intelligent audience.

A useful demonstration of the limitations of democracy?

edit: limitations

Edited by Timm

Never watched it tonight. And This Week wasn't on either.

I thought Hattersley died last year. I'm sure I saw his obit in private eye penned by EJ Thribb (17 1/2). Any evidence one way or the other on the box this evening?

What makes it boring is there is no disagreement on anything of substance between the mainstream parties. War on terror, mass immigration, free trade, big government, carbon laws etc... The major 3 parties are all in total agreement. And the 3 all adhere to political correctness so most areas are outright offlimits.

The British public get a bad name for not being engaged.. but on the other hand remember when Nick Griffin went on question time? 8 million British households tuned in for that. And there was a real, spirited debate of substance. Griffin was attacking core pillars of the ruling neo-liberal ideology.

Many Brits passionately agree with the neo-liberal ruling order, while many others passionately believe in some of the ideas of the BNP. So it makes for a great debate.

What makes it boring is there is no disagreement on anything of substance between the mainstream parties. War on terror, mass immigration, free trade, big government, carbon laws etc... The major 3 parties are all in total agreement. And the 3 all adhere to political correctness so most areas are outright offlimits.

The British public get a bad name for not being engaged.. but on the other hand remember when Nick Griffin went on question time? 8 million British households tuned in for that. And there was a real, spirited debate of substance. Griffin was attacking core pillars of the ruling neo-liberal ideology.

Many Brits passionately agree with the neo-liberal ruling order, while many others passionately believe in some of the ideas of the BNP. So it makes for a great debate.

Racist !

:P

Never watched it tonight. And This Week wasn't on either.

I thought Hattersley died last year. I'm sure I saw his obit in private eye penned by EJ Thribb (17 1/2). Any evidence one way or the other on the box this evening?

Plenty that he hasn't changed in all his arrogant Liebour idiocy anyhow. Star moment was his pathetic defence of Ponzi Brown and his economic track record; laughable even by ZaNu standards.

Guest DoubleDigitCrackPipe

I've never, ever, seen Roy Hattersley on television and witnessed him do anything else than utter complete and utter bo110cks.

Ok, so he has a speech impediment but even when removed, it's not worth hearing.

There was a real air of disfuncionality about last nights programme, something I havent seen before. The air in the studio seemed, to me at least, to be one of "fed up". Whether that was because of where it was, or whether it was because of the guests, who were truely terrible I am not sure - but there was an air from the audieance that I felt the panelists felt - an air of discontent.

The economist was completly out of touch, and doubt she will ever be asked back again,

The liberal didnt have a clue what she was talking about

Roy was, well, old labour,

The writer seemed very bored with it all

And the tory - well first of all I thought they had invited an estate agent on, but he turned out to talk some good common sense.

And as one of the previous posts pointed out - out of the questions, it darted from real issues, to god damn celebrity stuff - the programme lost credability in my opinion.

Ddint talk about the massive shortfall in tax revenues, not once from what i can remember.

An air of nothiness best describes last nights programme.

Does anyone want to win the next election?

Edited by Pearshape

It's interesting how the War and the Economy (which were both 'debated') mirror each other.

We went in gung ho, guns ablazing. Years later, we still don't know how to withdraw from this mess without catastrophy..........and the exact same principle applies to the Economy.

We are being governed by 'act now, think later' politicians.

There was a real air of disfuncionality about last nights programme, something I havent seen before. The air in the studio seemed, to me at least, to be one of "fed up". Whether that was because of where it was, or whether it was because of the guests, who were truely terrible I am not sure - but there was an air from the audieance that I felt the panelists felt - an air of discontent.

I think you are spot on there. I detected that. It seems everyone was just going through the motions and didn't really want to be there, including Dimbers. The audience looked pretty fed up and realise the NE area is doomed, due to "globalisation" whoever gets in. Comments from the panel almost laughed at, that "EU wouldn't allow" support for the steel works when the Dutch were pouring billions into their industry (allegedly).

Hope we see more of Rory Stewart, a bright hope for the Tories I think. Came over as very authoratitive, especially on Afghanistan, and seemed almost in despair at some of the other twittish comments, especially "paying the Taliban."

Edited by TheReturnofRover2000

Hope we see more of Rory Stewart, a bright hope for the Tories I think. Came over as very authoratitive, especially on Afghanistan, and seemed almost in despair at some of the other twittish comments, especially "paying the Taliban."

As if Friday morning's weren't bad enough I open Rory Stewarts Wikipedia page to find a CV that reads like a hero in some romantic novel. And he's only 6 years older than me. That's unutterably depressing.

Last time I watched was 22 October 2009. At that point I realised QT was a pointless exercise, there only to give the illusion to the people that their opinion mattered and to give politicians a chance to lie in a plausible manner and to put on their 'concerned' face.

Well at least Ruth Lea (the economist) managed to get a jibe in about Gordon Brown being responsible for the mess we're in after Hattersley said 'Gordon's the man to get us out of this mess'. Hattersly muttered something like 'Don't talk nonsense ..'

The dipstick who chairs it shut them up and said 'maybe we'll come back to that later' and then decided to allow no questions on the economy.

Hoping for a peerage Dimbledurd?

As others have said, it was utterly uninteresting - apart from the Union guy slagging Corus management off.

Hattersley's face was a picture when someone said, with real conviction in their voice, if Corus closes (it's closing today, so no if about it) the regional economy will implode and Teeside will never vote a Labour MP in again.

Just for one second you could see Hattersley's little brain thinking 'If the working class drones of Middlesbrough won't vote for us, we're finished'. Then he recovered and said something defensive.

You can see they're really worried their core vote is not going to turn out. So they're hoping middle class England will vote for them.

I have this desperate hope that, contrary to the polls, they are going to get wiped out at the election - on a low turnout.

Edited by Let's get it right

As per topic really. Very, very dull tonight. Got lively when discussing steel then fizzled out. Not sure who the Tory was.

I watched most of it last night but missed the last 10 mins.

The panel:

Tom Conti (actor) - clueless about everything. Especially when asked about the Corus situation. I think he thought the question was about some West End musical.

Ruth Lea (economist) - typical of her ilk. All her knowledge is gleaned from books and not interacting with the real world.

Rory Stewart (proposed Tory candidate somewhere in Cumbria) - looked as if it was past his bedtime. He's been around the world a bit but failed to communicate with the audience. He'll probably get the female vote if he stands as a candidate in the GE.

Roy Hattersley (Labour statesman) - his body still moves but I'm afraid his brain ceased to function some time ago.

Some bint (Liberal Democrats) - bit of a MILF. Can't remember anything she said.

Highlight of the program was a fat thick Teesider, with an array of teeth not seen since the release of the film Deliverance, shouting down Ruth Lea. Maybe someone should have told him he could keep his job at Corus if he was paid the same rate as those employed at Tata India.

Edited by Fishman

The panel:

Tom Conti (actor) - thought he made some good points, especially about assisted suicides.

Ruth Lea (economist) - liked the jibe at Gordon Brown (he's ruined the Economy). Hatterley reposted with "has he ruined Germanys? it's global yada yada"...and cue muppet applause from audience. She then got into an altercation with some fat head steelworker who didn't need microphone assistance.

Rory Stewart (proposed Tory candidate somewhere in Cumbria) - Irish bloke who looks like Stephen Gately, which is conincidental as Gately's death came up in the questions.

Roy Hattersley (Labour statesman) - has been talking bo11ocks since he first popped his head out of the womb.

Some bint (Liberal Democrats) - can't remember a word she said and became more interested in her slight speech impediment.

As if Friday morning's weren't bad enough I open Rory Stewarts Wikipedia page to find a CV that reads like a hero in some romantic novel. And he's only 6 years older than me. That's unutterably depressing.

Yes that was funny. Dimbers introduced him as a former deputy governor or an Iraq Province, and I thought "what he's only looks about 20!" :P

I'm getting too old now. Blue Peter presenters, Doctor Who's and Policemen and now it seems potential MP's all look like kids. :D