House Price Crash Forum

Gold up 2.2% today, 4.65% on the 30 day chart and 12.72% up on the year. (Kitco)

Any comment Dr B? Is this the beginning of the breakout you predicted?

Edited by Red Baron

I have been investing and following gold for more than three years. I am sure is the beginning of something huge.

The mother of all financial storms is approaching fast. All the easy money and liquidity that irresponsible central bankers (Alan Greenspan first and foremost) have injected in the markets is coming back to haunt us.

God (and Gold) save us from hyperinflation.

I have been investing and following gold for more than three years.  I am sure is the beginning of something huge.

The mother of all financial storms is approaching fast.  All the easy money and liquidity that irresponsible central bankers (Alan Greenspan first and foremost) have injected in the markets is coming back to haunt us. 

God (and Gold) save us from hyperinflation.

CGNAO

If you were looking for a reliable source for buying gold in the UK do you have any recommendations?

Gold has gone mental today up $9.30 to $445.50.

Hedge funds and bullion dealers have been buying up the precious metal by the ton.

Dollar weakness and oil up to $65.50 are the main reasons given.

The gold move is quite a move smashing through resistance levels.

We should get some detailed anaysis from DrBubb sometime soon I'd guess.

chards in blackpool are reliable, you can found them doing a web search

bairds are as well

there are also lot of good reliable ebay sellers (im one of them), that sells gold coins and bars ect.

Ive been a member of kitco site a long time but it kinda got ruined by spammers, the spammers were nevcer stopped either as moderation on there was pretty non existent, it has improved a bit recently.Worth checking that site out.

This is what you should buy

buy gold sovereigns, dont go for the rare dates or qe2 ones, but get the early 1900s kings or victorian ones.

you can expect to pay 70 pounds for a common date sovereign just now.These are probably the best way to hold gold.

you can also buy assayed bars, thse can carry almost the same premium as sovereigns do, but they have no upside possible in collectability, there just gold not historical coins, hence why i realy suggest sovereigns.

kuggerands are also worth buying, these once again dont have any collector value and are purely gold content, but still nice to have a couple of them in your stash.

american eagles,chinese pandas,canadian maples ect ect are all worth buying as well.

i used to buy bars from istanbul gold refinery, but the trouble i had with fed ex and customs was a nightmare, customs tried everytime to charge me vat and import taxes on the gold( there is no vat on bullion)

its still where i got it cheapest from but prepare to have a fight with customs over there being no vat or import taxes payable.

there cost was spot + 10 usd ounce + 70 usd carriage charges insured.

but overall i would buy the gold sovereigns and half sovereigns you realy cant go wrong with these.

I am very busy with my trading today.

Gold up almost $10!

The big VOLUME in the major gold stocks suggests this breakout is real!

This GOLD breakout has come at a great time.

I am loaded witg gOld shares, and enjoying it alot.

There are still opportunities in Junior gold stocks.

Either buy the small laggards now, or wait for the pullback, which will come.

FTSE puts tomorrow might be worth a punt

If you do, buy in-the-money: Oct or further

Dr B

An idiots guide to buying gold is now requisite for this forum - an essential part of your 'Post Crash' philosophy..........

drbubb i disagree

while gold shares will rise more strongly for each tick upwards, they will also drop quicker with each tick down.

owning your own gold is a safer less riskier bet.

not forgetting that there is many examples of over-estimating reserves, this at times is rampant.

ownng your own gold means it is no-one else's liability, your buying the actual commodity not speculating in it.

Edited by homeless

Sorry to spoil the party but (IMHO) in the short term there is not much more up side in gold. GOld has been consoldidating since November and the risk reward is not great here especially after todays move. I dont think gold will get above $451 at this time.

I am loaded with gold but buying puts here for insurance.

For someone who is a little bit worried about choosing gold shares are there any gold tracker funds or such like that the lower risk investor can buy?

I think that the recent move in interest rates along with the rise in oil prices means that our deposits are at risk in cash. The signs are there - they're going to inflate the debt away.

try a pool account

www.kitco.com do one, its basically what your wanting a tracker

but realy why have someone else holding your gold investment when you can hold it yourself????

Merrill Lynch Gold and General fund did very well during the first phase of the gold bull (2000-2003). Pretty much flat since then (with much volatility). Shoudl do well during the next phase.

Merrill Lynch Gold and General fund did very well during the first phase of the gold bull (2000-2003).  Pretty much flat since then (with much volatility).  Shoudl do well during the next phase.

Cheers, I was just looking at that as well!

try a pool account

www.kitco.com do one, its basically what your wanting a tracker

but realy why have someone else holding your gold investment when you can hold it yourself????

Because I don't own a safe!

I'm really not into the idea of physically holding gold

Guest consa

Did the dollar take a hit today?

be careful if it was just due to the dollar weakness, gold hasn't moved much at all in sterling.

Guest Enzo

A few grand in coins is OK for an emergency.

But I like gold futures. $952 controls 100 oz

(all the usual disclaimers apply re leverage etc)

Cheers