House Price Crash Forum

Esate Agents Admits Lying - Shock Horror

HOLA441

Our Landlord has decided to put the house up for sale. So agent turns up today with a couple of mugs , sorry punters. First couple start enquiring about interest in the property so far … oh says the agent we’ve had plenty of interest, we’ve got an appointment booked for tomorrow and 5 others pending. Now this caught my attention because we hadn’t been consulted about ‘tomorrow’s appointment . Agent disappears after the viewing without a word to me so I phone the head office and ask to speak with the sales manager.

“What’s all this about a viewing on Friday ?” says I.

“We asked for 24 hours notice and we’ve had none.”

“ Just one second” he says “ I’ll check the diary. No , no viewing for tomorrow and only 1 other pending”

“ But your agent clearly said that there was a viewing arranged for Friday and 5 others pending “

“Oh , she was probably just trying to lure them into making an offer !” he explained.

Now I know this will not come as shock to most of you but for ANY naïve FTBs out there please take note ALL ESTATE AGENTS (except maybe Father Fred ?) ARE LYING TOE-RAGS WHO WOULD SELL THEIR OWN GRANNIES TO CLOSE A SALE. DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY AND CERTAINLY NEVER ASK THEM WHAT THE MARKET IS LIKE OR IF THERE HAS BEEN ANY OTHER INTEREST IN A PROPERTY.

Incidentally this is a very well known National upmarket agents, they may be POSH but they are lying scumbags too, just for the record it was H***TONS

HOLA442

well no surprises there then... most of us have to deal with Estate Agents on very rare occasions, which is why it is the perfect job for sharks.

When my mum bought her current place she was told there was several other viewings and someone very keen was travelling 300 miles to see it. She offered teh asking price and it was acepted.

Chatting with the neighbours a few months laetr I learned the owners wouldve come down 20% on the asking price, and tehre were no other buyers.

HOW TO BUY A HOUSE:

1) Dont believe a word the EA says

2) Offer an amount that is frankly an insult. They can take it or leave it.

3) Dont get emotionally attached to the property, there's always plenty more fish in the sea.

HOLA443

its obvious really, though the scale of their lies if quite suprising. its to the point where i do not consider ANYTHING thay say. not only do they spout what you want to hear but they are TOTALLY UNQUALIFIED to do so.

they are worse than used car salesmen.

i often ask then really daft questions just to hear the lies. they are so sickly.

HOLA444
HOW TO BUY A HOUSE:

1) Dont believe a word the EA says

2) Offer an amount that is frankly an insult. They can take it or leave it.

3) Dont get emotionally attached to the property, there's always plenty more fish in the sea.

Or:

1) Tell all the agents you have recently inherited and are cash buyers

2) Tell them you are only interested in motivated sellers

3) Tell them you are presently in rented

When you do the deal and subsequently get caught tell them 'I lied - you do it all the time - is this a deal breaker'

Feckem.

HOLA445
HOLA446

^^NO, I haven't, but my landlord and I agreed we coudl trust each other eniough to not use the letting agent anymore.

All they did was renew the contracts every six months , and charged the LL a lot of cash for the privelege.

Now we create our own AST, sign it, shake hands and both parties are very happy.

He is several hundred quid a year better off, and my rent hasn't increased in the last four years :D

Definitely worth a try

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

HOLA447
Or:

1) Tell all the agents you have recently inherited and are cash buyers

2) Tell them you are only interested in motivated sellers

3) Tell them you are presently in rented

When you do the deal and subsequently get caught tell them 'I lied - you do it all the time - is this a deal breaker'

Feckem.

Spookily points 1-3 are all actually true, sadly so in the case of point 1. We still have no intention of buying though, not for at least a couple of years. Happily too we have decided to move out of the area , don’t fancy being here as runway three comes on stream(Heathrow). The good side of this is that now we can afford to be as rude to estate agents as we like ! and we have been ! Think we’ve been taken of the books of a few of them, My wife fell out big time with one of them, told them they were grossly overpricing properties and that they should stop sending details forthwith, funnily enough on returned from our holidays they had sent a stack of details all with reduced prices ! my how we laughed .

HOLA448
Better still cut the EA out of the sale.

Has anyone done the following?:

1) See a house you like with for sale outside

2) Get friend to get details from EA

3) Knock on door epressing interest

4) go 50/50 on saved EA fee

How does this work when you are looking to get 30%+ knocked off their asking price? Every little helps I suppose.

JY

HOLA449

Me and the missus once viewed a house to rent with Fuxtons. The lies were hilarious.

I knew the place had been vacant for months, cos empty rooms had been photographed exactly as I had seen them on the site for ages, yet the agent claimed "the last tenants moved out last Friday".

Then we saw the garden out front, and my girlfriend asked "who is responsible for maintaining the garden?", to which the response was "uhm, who would you like to be responsible for the garden?". Mental.

HOLA4410
ALL ESTATE AGENTS (except maybe Father Fred ?) ARE LYING TOE-RAGS WHO WOULD SELL THEIR OWN GRANNIES TO CLOSE A SALE

Perhaps, but what I'm going to say might surprise you.

I actually prefer to be friendly with EAs. You can still be cordial with them because that way they may even let their guard down a bit.

As Father Fred has said in the past, buyers who go in to an EA with "guns blazing" is not a good idea because you will just come across like a dickhead.

So, I think the best philosophy is to be friendly but businesslike. I have told every EA I've dealt with so far that I know what the market is really like out there and I'm under no illusions.

Of course you still have to be on guard for the lies about other offers and interest that doesn't exist etc.

If you are an FTB you are gold dust to an EA right now and in a great position to low-ball offers. If all FTBs felt more confident in offering a lot more below asking then we'd have a speedier crash !

Out of any group out there at the moment, FTBs perhaps don't realise that they now have the power, but some are still just blindly offering asking prices. We need to get through to these folks !