House Price Crash Forum
SEA

Apparently Houses Now Going Up

Three times this week I have been told by work colleagues and family members that house prices are going to start shooting up now that interest rates fell last week. After explaining that I don't think this will happen they look at me as if I have three heads.

Oh my god........people still don't believe that house prices wil fall and have to fall. WHY????

Three times this week I have been told by work colleagues and family members that house prices are going to start shooting up now that interest rates fell last week.  After explaining that I don't think this will happen they look at me as if I have three heads.

Oh my god........people still don't believe that house prices wil fall and have to fall.  WHY????

sheep directed by media spin.

sheep directed by media spin.

The mainstream denial will only end when interest rates reverse back up.

Until then, people will continue to believe that the government won't let a house price crash happen; if prices go down, the goverment will simply lower interest rates.

Once this fallacy is debunked, the panic will start.

Yeah I said the same thing to work colleagues a few days ago. They argued and argued that I was wrong. Difference is, I've been reading up on economics etc and they haven't, course I could still be wrong, but my arguements were far stronger than theirs.

Three times this week I have been told by work colleagues and family members that house prices are going to start shooting up now that interest rates fell last week.  After explaining that I don't think this will happen they look at me as if I have three heads.

Oh my god........people still don't believe that house prices wil fall and have to fall.  WHY????

Do you ever ask them why they think house prices must continously rise?

Do you ever ask them if they think house prices are in any way related to people's ability to pay mortgages?

Do you ever ask them if they remember prices falling from 1989 onwards and that it took 12 years for (inflation adjusted) for houses to regain their 1989 prices.

Do you ever ask them if they are aware that there were price falls in 1974 and 1979?

Or why they think prices doubled and trebled (in some areas) in complete defiance of any logical link between affordability and prices.

I'd be curious to know what people say. I can't ask anyone I know because everyone I know thinks I made a shrewd move (although not necessarily a move they would have made) by STRing in Dec 2003. Even the most critical bulls amongst my acquaintances who told me in the autumn of 2003 I was mad to sell up and rent - now agree there is only one way prices are heading.

Forgive my inquisitiveness but is the Head Office of SEA's employer based at either No 10 or No 11 Downing Street and does he read "The Sun" newspaper.

Please refer his work colleagues to this site.

I can honestly say that i do not know anybody in my circle of friends, my family or my work who believes house prices are coming down, granted a lot of my freinds have bought in the last 2 years and may be saying that out of fear. But my boyfriends parents actually said to me that house prices have never gone down in Swansea. How can you argue with this mentality.

I can honestly say that i do not know anybody in my circle of friends, my family or my work who believes house prices are coming down, granted a lot of my freinds have bought in the last 2 years and may be saying that out of fear.  But my boyfriends parents actually said to me that house prices have never gone down in Swansea.  How can you argue with this mentality.

Show them some facts. You sound like you are young and 1988 is no doubt ancient history to your circle of friends. And, last time round the regions were not as affected as London and the South East. This time round the regions will be worst hit as they have had astronomical rises in the last few years whereas London and the South Easts big rises stopped in about 2003.

But my boyfriends parents actually said to me that house prices have never gone down in Swansea.  How can you argue with this mentality.

I know someone who said that house prices never go down in Blackheath !!!!

House prices might shoot up..... but then inflation might shoot up even more.

Three times this week I have been told by work colleagues and family members that house prices are going to start shooting up now that interest rates fell last week. After explaining that I don't think this will happen they look at me as if I have three heads.

Aaaah, again, the triumph of hope over experience.

Aaaah, again, the triumph of hope over experience.

I just don't care anymore, me and my mrs have £75k in the bank, it's earning 5.20(gross) per ann.

We'll just rent and keep putting money aside, they WILL come down and we'll be ready, there is simply no GOOD reason to buy a house whilst they are priced this high.

Wait a while = larger deposit = smaller mortgage = paid off quicker

Oh, and there WILL be another bubble, you can bet your life on it, and I shall sell to rent when I think the time is right and start all over again!

Edited by FrozenOut

I think a lot of the people saying this are bound to be totally out of the market (in the already-got-a-house-and-not-looking way). They might not even realise just how high the prices actually are.

Anyway, what they think doesn't really matter (except at election time when this sort of sheep mentality is dangerous). What really matters is those currently in the market.

And we all know that those trying to sell are experiencing real difficulty and those wanting to buy are simply waiting, through choice or not.

It's sad for society as a whole that people are this gullible but the answer is not to join them, it's to beat them and use it to your advantage.