House Price Crash Forum

Fire Safety And Electrical Regulations

lulu

HOLA441

In my rented flat the washing machine broke a few weeks ago. This was replaced by a company on behalf of the agents the other day but i have just looked at the connections and as the closest electrical socket is behind some fitted units and the fridge it appears that the fitters have cut the plug off the washing machine - and the end of a cable that goes to to plug and simply reconnected the wires and wrapped both in some electrical tape.

I don't know much about electrics but this does not strike me as very safe (especially when it says in the washing machine instructions to not even use an extension cable) and I am going to mention it to the agents as someone from them is coming round in a couple of days about another matter.

But does anyone know if this is likely to be something that is against regulations? (Scotland) I am always a bit paranoid about fire and need to know if I need or should kick up a stink about it.

Thanks for any advice.

HOLA442

Shoddy and unacceptable IMHO, (I did a mech/elec apprecticeship many years ago). If they used a 'choc block' to connect should be OK if properly sealed but I would show it to the agent. If it just the wires twisted together to connect and tapped this is potentially dangerous - water and wear over time could caues a short.

Thanks for the reply. It does look a bit shoddy and I have just spoke to a friend who knows more about these things than I do (or at least has a husband she can ask :)) and they agree that it sounds below any acceptable standards and should be checked and connected by a proper electrician.

I think I will just unplug the whole thing and show the agent when they are around in a couple of days.

HOLA443
HOLA444

In my rented flat the washing machine broke a few weeks ago. This was replaced by a company on behalf of the agents the other day but i have just looked at the connections and as the closest electrical socket is behind some fitted units and the fridge it appears that the fitters have cut the plug off the washing machine - and the end of a cable that goes to to plug and simply reconnected the wires and wrapped both in some electrical tape.

I don't know much about electrics but this does not strike me as very safe (especially when it says in the washing machine instructions to not even use an extension cable) and I am going to mention it to the agents as someone from them is coming round in a couple of days about another matter.

But does anyone know if this is likely to be something that is against regulations? (Scotland) I am always a bit paranoid about fire and need to know if I need or should kick up a stink about it.

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds plain stupid, I bet the washing machine came from another property where it was wired in to a fuse point and the idiot who fitted it only had a plug cut off another appliance with perminent flex attached.

You have two options, hassle the LL/LA which is absolutely your right to do so and not use the washing machine and all the inconvenience that go with that, as well as all the phone calls etc.

Or if they don't deal with it ASAP, pop down to the nearest hardware store, buy a plug for 99p and put it on the flex as every person in the modern world should be able to do. The brown wire is live, the blue is neutral and the green/yellow is the earth, see the following

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/elec_HOW_TO_WIRE_A_PLUG.htm

Trust me it is very simple and whilst it shouldn't be your job you may find it is the easiest, quickest and most satisfying way to solve the problem.

Power to the people!!!!

HOLA445

Or if they don't deal with it ASAP, pop down to the nearest hardware store, buy a plug for 99p and put it on the flex as every person in the modern world should be able to do.

I completely agree!

It's all very well having rights and health and safety blah blah blah, but from time to time it's good to ditch the victim attitutude and just get on with it.

Edited by bug09

HOLA446

I completely agree!

It's all very well having rights and health and safety blah blah blah, but from time to time it's good to ditch the victim attitutude and just get on with it.

That is all well and good, and I have attached plugs back in the day, the problem then would be what I was going to plug the washing machine into, it is a good2/3 metres behind fitted units and the fridge to get to the nearest plug.

That is why I suspect the fitters took the lazy option and simply cut the plug off both the machine and the existing extension.

Anyway the maintainace guy from the agents will be here and I will gague from his reaction what will happen next. At least I know enough now to insist that something gets done. I am not doing anything myself as I am sure I would then become liable should something happen.

If it was my own place I would certainly do it myself but it isnt so I dont think I should have to.

HOLA447

That is all well and good, and I have attached plugs back in the day, the problem then would be what I was going to plug the washing machine into, it is a good2/3 metres behind fitted units and the fridge to get to the nearest plug.

That is why I suspect the fitters took the lazy option and simply cut the plug off both the machine and the existing extension.

Anyway the maintainace guy from the agents will be here and I will gague from his reaction what will happen next. At least I know enough now to insist that something gets done. I am not doing anything myself as I am sure I would then become liable should something happen.

If it was my own place I would certainly do it myself but it isnt so I dont think I should have to.

That's fair enough

HOLA448

In case anyone is interested.

The guy from the lettings agents was as impressed as I was with the standard of what was done. He agreed with me that what they had done was not acceptable.

I am told now that they have ordered the original company to come back and do a proper job of it. Thanks for all your inputs, I know not alot about these things.

HOLA449

Or if they don't deal with it ASAP, pop down to the nearest hardware store, buy a plug for 99p and put it on the flex as every person in the modern world should be able to do. The brown wire is live, the blue is neutral and the green/yellow is the earth, see the following

And make sure those wires it was attached to are not sitting there live, a disaster waiting to happen. But didn't the OP say they came from somewhere inaccessible?

HOLA4410

And make sure those wires it was attached to are not sitting there live, a disaster waiting to happen. But didn't the OP say they came from somewhere inaccessible?

It would be rather hard to wire a live plug unless you left it plugged in.... that said I wouldn't put it past the 99% of the UK "I can't take any responsibility for my own actions" population (present company excepted of course) to do that :blink: