House Price Crash Forum

Missus Has Managed To Lose Car Keys

the_duke_of_hazzard

HOLA441

Any advice?

We think the keys were taken, possibly having been left in the door.

House keys we've changed (tho we've got nothing worth nicking, natch).

I've suggested parking the car a few streets away for a few months as a precaution. But I figure if the keys have been taken (rather than lost) they could easily have nicked the car there and then, or during the night.

Edit: left in the door of the house, that is. House and car keys on the same ring.

HOLA442

Were the car keys the master set? If they weren't and you've still got them, you can reprogramm most modern car keys as long as you've got the master.

Although what's the bet that they're somewhere in your house? :rolleyes:

I once lost a fairly hefty commision cheque and I (over the course of a few hours) backtracked my steps to find it in the bin.

HOLA443

Were the car keys the master set? If they weren't and you've still got them, you can reprogramm most modern car keys as long as you've got the master.

Although what's the bet that they're somewhere in your house? :rolleyes:

I once lost a fairly hefty commision cheque and I (over the course of a few hours) backtracked my steps to find it in the bin.

Probably. Checked bins and everything else she could think of.

How do you tell which is the master key? We have a spare. Wasn't aware you could reprogram them.

We've got toddlers... it's possible they got up to the fruitbowl and secreted them somewhere. I bloody hope so.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Try the local Copshop?

I lost my car key once. Some honest soul handed it in at the local station the next day.

in the meantime,to satisfy paranoia, get a couple of steering wheel or gear lever locks for the car. Not foolproof, but might deter sufficiently.

I don't think that they're too hard to kick off, although you could get one of these...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Any advice?

We think the keys were taken, possibly having been left in the door.

House keys we've changed (tho we've got nothing worth nicking, natch).

I've suggested parking the car a few streets away for a few months as a precaution. But I figure if the keys have been taken (rather than lost) they could easily have nicked the car there and then, or during the night.

Edit: left in the door of the house, that is. House and car keys on the same ring.

Check the insurance will still pay out, decide what you'll do if it is nicked(ie replacement or courtesy insurance car), and forget about it.

It's only a car.

HOLA4416
Guest theboltonfury

this exact thing happened to me.

The car insurance said it wasn't their problem and I had to get all the locks on my car (a big XJ Jag) retumbled which cost a few hundred quid.

So many burglars just want the car keys these days.

HOLA4417
Guest theboltonfury

Leave nothing in the car and buy a steering wheel lock for the car, if your really worried there must be some additional immobilisers you can buy?

I had a company come out the same day to put two of those telescopic poles on my drive. It's good piece of mind and not very expensive.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Go to the dealer and get a new key

Could be expensive depending on the age of the car and the technology used.

I mislaid one of the sets of keys to my old car whilst we were having building work done and the house was in a state.

Went to the Jag dealer who wanted over £200 as i'd need a new set of electronic keys and the whole thing reprogramming.

So I ripped the house apart and finally found them somewhere daft.

HOLA4421

Could be expensive depending on the age of the car and the technology used.

I mislaid one of the sets of keys to my old car whilst we were having building work done and the house was in a state.

Went to the Jag dealer who wanted over £200 as i'd need a new set of electronic keys and the whole thing reprogramming.

So I ripped the house apart and finally found them somewhere daft.

Join the "Jag full of guitars!" club with me and MrBolton! ;)

HOLA4422

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. :D

HOLA4423

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. :D

Just a bit odd how all the guitarists have "come out" as having owned a Jag! :blink:

HOLA4424

A good quick, and easy to rectify, way to immobilise a vehicle is to remove a vital fuse from the board under the dash.

I used to have an XR3i at the height of the joyriding craze. Every time I left it anywhere iffy I used to remove the fuel pump relay from under the dash and take it with me. I'd defy anybody to start it without that.....

eight

HOLA4425
Guest theboltonfury

I had 3 of them. XJR, XKR and a S-Type (hated that one)

The first two made me erect and if it wasn't for the silly fuel prices these days, I'd buy another tomorrow. I could have just been anally raped but getting into the XKR with it's plush leather, luxurious interior and 400 bph would make everything ok again. (I had to get rid of it as I wasn't a good enough driver to handle it in anything other than a straight line!!)

Someone ask Guitarman if he is in to his Jags.....

Archived