House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ExeC

Ending My Tennancy Early

Im a little bit confused :(

We had a tennancy for a year which expired in may. We were then sent through some forms for a 6 month tennancy, which we signed.

We've never had no problems with our agents or visa versa.

Suddenly around a month ago, a group of african guys moved in downstairs, we got a 4 year old daughter and all we put up with now is basey music from 8am to 12 midnight almost every day :(

They sit outside our flat in convertable bmws in the evening etc you get the jist?

Anyway, we really want to get out of here as its really getting bad, Im going to view a nice little detached house tonight for a little bit more.

I didnt really think about it but I dont know where i stand with my tennancy, it doesnt expire to november, but someone said you can still give a months notice?

Where do i stand? Can i issue a months notice and move ending the contract? Or are we stuck here till november?

:(

the agent answered my question with a big F**K Off.

At least i know where i stand :(

You don't know where you stand, the agent is (1) an interested party and (2) nowhere near legally qualified. Take yourself down to your local Citizens Advice Bureau with your rental contract.

You may still be tied in (quite likely by the sound of your post) but check the contract first.

If you are tied in then make an utter nuisance of yourself. Complain about everything, refuse to pay the rent under the Landlords and Tenants Act (for repairs, etc), "forget" to pay the rent - although you should be careful on the last if you want references, you may want to simply the delay the rent for a bit. They'll soon ask you to go.

This kind of scenario is absolutely NO joke, I've been there myself several times, but thankfully with private landlords who haven't minded early notice.Agents are scum - the less work the better (i.e. your contract running it's course), and your plight won't mean sh*t to them, as you said.Given that you are paying what is probably a fair amount of money for your flat, they have no right to treat you like this. It will probably be no problem at all for them to replace you.They will also subsequently charge another lot of fees to the unsuspecting 'victim' who has to move in next, despite knowing the situation.

I would outline the situation in writing to the agents and ask formally to be let out of the contract, even though you have already been given a negative answer.It is only reasonable to request this of the agents in the circumstances, especially as you have a young child living with you.This will at least help to support your case if they subsequently refuse you a reference, as they will be forced to respond formally to your letter (i.e. end with 'I look forward to receiving your response'). You will then have a written record of the goings-on. If they refuse a polite written request to end the contract only a matter of weeks early, this will make them look extremely un-reasonable, and you did everything by the book.

Thank god it's not for longer than November - I never sign a tenancy which is longer than 6 months in duration for similar reasons.

Any other suggestions people?

Edited by Homebird

Im a little bit confused :(

We had a tennancy for a year which expired in may. We were then sent through some forms for a 6 month tennancy, which we signed.

We've never had no problems with our agents or visa versa.

Suddenly around a month ago, a group of african guys moved in downstairs, we got a 4 year old daughter and all we put up with now is basey music from 8am to 12 midnight almost every day :(

They sit outside our flat in convertable bmws in the evening etc you get the jist?

Anyway, we really want to get out of here as its really getting bad, Im going to view a nice little detached house tonight for a little bit more.

I didnt really think about it but I dont know where i stand with my tennancy, it doesnt expire to november, but someone said you can still give a months notice?

Where do i stand? Can i issue a months notice and move ending the contract? Or are we stuck here till november?

:(

This kind of scenario is absolutely NO joke, I've been there myself several times, but thankfully with private landlords who haven't minded early notice.Agents are scum - the less work the better (i.e. your contract running it's course), and your plight won't mean sh*t to them, as you said.Given that you are paying what is probably a fair amount of money for your flat, they have no right to treat you like this. It will probably be no problem at all for them to replace you.They will also subsequently charge another lot of fees to the unsuspecting 'victim' who has to move in next, despite knowing the situation.

I would outline the situation in writing to the agents and ask formally to be let out of the contract, even though you have already been given a negative answer.It is only reasonable to request this of the agents in the circumstances, especially as you have a young child living with you.This will at least help to support your case if they subsequently refuse you a reference, as they will be forced to respond formally to your letter (i.e. end with 'I look forward to receiving your response'). You will then have a written record of the goings-on. If they refuse a polite written request to end the contract only a matter of weeks early, this will make them look extremely un-reasonable, and you did everything by the book.

Thank god it's not for longer than November - I never sign a tenancy which is longer than 6 months in duration for similar reasons.

Any other suggestions people?

Not really other than I agree, this situation is one of the worst things life can throw at you. Totally turns your life upside down overnight.

All I know for certain is that at 8am and 12pm they are definately in breach of the peace and the coppers will shut them up for you if you call them out.

Have you tried saying hi to them and just gauging what type of people they are? They might not even realise what they are doing to you. For example:-

Years ago we were renting directly above another flat below us. My missus often set the washing machine going before bed ready to dry in the morning - it wasn't noisey in our flat.

It turned out that it was making a right racket downstairs. The woman came up, baby in arms and told us it was really upsetting them and waking the baby up etc.... We just had no idea at all!

Obviously we were appologetic and sorted it out. We double checked a few weeks later to make sure they were happy.

Most people are decent and have no intention of deliberately upsetting other people, particularly when there is no real profit in doing so.

So, maybe take baby with you and say hi one day. This is by far the best solution and worth a shot.