House Price Crash Forum
FrozenOut

Holy Sheet! Oil $65 A Barrel!

Just another $15 to go and we hit the magic inflation adjusted $80 dollars abarrel the catalyist for the 1974 crisis.

It won't be as bad this time around because all our heavy industy has gone, but still £6 a gallon is going to pi$$ alot of people off.

Another day another dollar... Maybe people will start to take peak oil seriously one day:

ASPO The official site of the Association for the Study of Peak Oil & Gas.

Energy Bulletin Clearing house for news regarding the peak in global energy supply.

Power Switch UK site dedicated to raising awareness & discussion of the impending & permanent decline of cheap oil & gas supply.

ODAC UK Oil Depletion Analysis Centre working to raise awareness and promote better understanding of the world's oil-depletion problem.

Global Public Media Public service broadcasting for a post carbon world.

Post Carbon Institute Learning to live in a low energy world.

PeakOil.com US site and forum to educate and promote awareness of global hydrocarbon depletion.

FEASTA The Foundation for the Economics of Sustainability

Guest Bart of Darkness
but still £6 a gallon is going to pi$$ alot of people off.

Especially those driving petrol guzzling SUV type vehicles.

Especially those driving petrol guzzling SUV type vehicles.

Dont get me wrong I am in no hurry for oil to run out, but it will do my heart good when I hear those 4x4 driving idiots that they can not afford fuel.... A silver lining if you like. The mums driving their kids two miles to school, lacking any concept of reverse, never a spot of mud on them. The times I wished I'd had a bazooka :angry:

Guest Bart of Darkness
Dont get me wrong I am in no hurry for oil to run out, but it will do my heart good when I hear those 4x4 driving idiots that they can not afford fuel.... A silver lining if you like. The mums driving their kids two miles to school, lacking any concept of reverse, never a spot of mud on them. The times I wished I'd had a bazooka

Trust me mate, I know exactly how you feel.

Hopefully these inefficient status symbols will start to diminish in popularity and fuel economy will take precedence over impressing the neighbours when buying a new car.

I'd certainly call that a silver lining.

Peak oil and gas is, directly or indirectly, going to kill billions of people.

It's a little more serious than pi$$ing off the SUV-driving muppets.

Let me introduce you to your new friends, Famine, Plague, War and Death.

Enjoy!

Let me introduce you to your new friends, Famine, Plague, War and Death.

Enjoy!

I'm still not the faintest bit sure where peak oil is, howeer I'm totally sure that trying to accelerate world consumption and growth at this pooint in time will no nothing to avert it and merely bring it forward in time increasing the possibility that no real alternatives are put in place in time to prevent serious disruptions of the sort you mention.

I wonder what the figures look like if we were to compare the amout of money that is spent on future energy provision compared to the amount being spent worldwide on the property and debt bubble.

You lot are pigged off?

I need a 4x4 and can't afford one!

Do you know how stupid I look carrying a sheep around in the back of a diesel estate that's knee deep in sludge and gets stuck everywhere!!!!!

I wonder what the figures look like if we were to compare the amout of money that is spent on future energy provision compared to the amount being spent worldwide on the property and debt bubble

The property and debt bubble will seem like a pleasant memory compared to what the future holds.

God help us all.

The Holy Sheet:

Shroud_positive_negative_compare.jpg

Trust me mate, I know exactly how you feel.

Hopefully these inefficient status symbols will start to diminish in popularity and fuel economy will take precedence over impressing the neighbours when buying a new car.

I'd certainly call that a silver lining.

I hear you. If filling up doesn't given them a shock then I'm sure the depreciation on their SUVs will. He He He. Totally inappropriate for city driving. Specially designed to give pedestrians the least possible chance of survival.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Do you know how stupid I look carrying a sheep around in the back of a diesel estate that's knee deep in sludge and gets stuck everywhere!!!!!

The objection is to 4x4's that are used as status symbols and never see anything more hazardous than a puddle in a Sainsbury's car park.

Obviously there are people who need those features, I not sure sure that the school run qualifies.

I agree (http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=13640&st=0)

EDIT: However, it helps to have a sense of humour regarding even the most drastic of prospects (hence SUV comments).

Edited by Bart of Darkness

Aye lad, but I'm holding my breath in anticipation ....

Don't hold it too long.

Withnail out.

The Guardian, August 11, 2005

'Warming hits 'tipping point'

It's a frozen peat bog the size of France and Germany combined, contains billions of tonnes of greenhouse gas and, for the first time since the ice age, it is melting.

A vast expanse of western Sibera is undergoing an unprecedented thaw that could dramatically increase the rate of global warming, climate scientists warn today.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/st...1546824,00.html

Edited by Withnail

How long have you known about Peak Oil clv?

I've been wondering that for some time... At least four years. But I remember talking with my father longer ago than that about the absurdity of building new airports and designing new aeroplanes given that oil would become scarce in their lifetime. It's only in the last two years that the subject became popular, Richard Heinburg's The Party's Over book had a lot to do with that.

Forgive me if this has been asked but to what price would oil have to hit now to surpass the last peaks in '74 and '90 in real terms?

It's a bit complicated and recently there have been cases of moving the goal posts. Are we talking about a one day spike, the average over a month or average over a year?

See this thread for further discussion: http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic10955.html

The inflation adjusted figure used to be $66, now it's $94. What's more important is the length of time oil is 'high', the area under the curve represents the total value of the oil. From that it's clear to see that since oil has only been expensive for a couple of years at most we are still in a much better position than in 1980 when there had been 6 years of expensive oil before the spike.