House Price Crash Forum

If Hpc Site Was Around In The '70's

Lepista

HOLA441

yes, yes - if it was around, it would be a miracle, as t'internet wasn't as it is today... but you know what I mean.

Would we be seeing the same 'EOTW' signals that everyone here is saying is the end of society as we know it?

HOLA442

yes, yes - if it was around, it would be a miracle, as t'internet wasn't as it is today... but you know what I mean.

Would we be seeing the same 'EOTW' signals that everyone here is saying is the end of society as we know it?

people were widely predicting the end of the world ni the 1970s. There was the club of rome, and a host of gold bugs.

The former were proved wrong at least for a time (and timing is everything), and the latter were crucified when gold plunged from its peak.

This time with gold it will be different of course. Likewise this time it really is the EOTW!

HOLA443

people were widely predicting the end of the world ni the 1970s. There was the club of rome, and a host of gold bugs.

The former were proved wrong at least for a time (and timing is everything), and the latter were crucified when gold plunged from its peak.

This time with gold it will be different of course. Likewise this time it really is the EOTW!

Sounds like you are maybe speaking from some (bitter?) experience Scepticus...?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

We were, even without the internet! :P

The biggies I remember:

- Learn Arabic, the Arabs' oil-wealth means they'll end up running the world (occasionally it was 'learn Japanese')

- Nuclear Armageddon (a reasonable fear given cold war tensions and scope for accident/human error)

- Limits to Growth which suggested that exponential growth with finite resources could not continue forever.

Of these, limits to growth is the only one still standing.

HOLA447
HOLA448

To be fair the 70s recession was pretty bad. 3-day working weeks, winter of discontent, etc. Much worse than it's been this time.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There is also two EOTW camps. One camp is the peak oil type camp which says no matter what we do we are screwed. They were there in the 70's, even bigger.

The other is the EOTW camp I'm in. It says on the current policies things are going to blow up. But there is no technical reason we can't enjoy prosperity.

Sort of like on the British carrier pigeon housepricecrash.co.uk in 1975 they would have been wrong with their doomist theories. The hyperinflationistas would be pointing to 12% yoy inflation. And we'd be scrutinizing the numbers showing how hedonics and substition was under-reporting the real inflation.

Otoh the Soviet housepricecrash.co.ru forum in 1975 they would have been largely right about their doomist predictions. Injinov would have been calling state failure if a bit early.

HOLA4414

From what I recall....Inflation was rife, food prices went up on a near daily basis. When I went shopping for my mother I used to enjoy pealing the price stickers from cans and other food items to find out what the original price was when it was put on the shelf....oh and the intermittent power cuts as kids was fun to get out the candles. ;)

HOLA4415

We would and moaning about -

Those bloody striking unions

Why are BL cars so crap?

Dog poo on pavements

Why do shops shut at 5pm just as you leave work?

Equal pay for women - why?:)

Has anyone got one of those new fangled microwave ovens?

What's the best electronic calculator?

What's the best digital watch?

Punk music -rubbish or the real sound of the streets?

If it's in the News of the World it must be true.

Man Utd - will they ever win the first division again?

The list is endless....

HOLA4416

There's something slightly Del Boy-ish about global financial capitalism - just when you think it is finally about to go belly-up it always finds the energy or labour equivalent of a warehouse full of hookie Taiwanese video recorders.

It got bailed out in the 70's by North Sea and Alaskan oil, and bailed out again in the 90's by the entry of the Chinese labour pool into the global economy. But can it pull something out of its back pocket this time round?

HOLA4417

There's something slightly Del Boy-ish about global financial capitalism - just when you think it is finally about to go belly-up it always finds the energy or labour equivalent of a warehouse full of hookie Taiwanese video recorders.

It got bailed out in the 70's by North Sea and Alaskan oil, and bailed out again in the 90's by the entry of the Chinese labour pool into the global economy. But can it pull something out of its back pocket this time round?

Like it. :D ...but what can save us now, today? ;)

HOLA4418

We were, even without the internet! :P

The biggies I remember:

- Learn Arabic, the Arabs' oil-wealth means they'll end up running the world (occasionally it was 'learn Japanese')

- Nuclear Armageddon (a reasonable fear given cold war tensions and scope for accident/human error)

- Limits to Growth which suggested that exponential growth with finite resources could not continue forever.

Of these, limits to growth is the only one still standing.

"the Arabs' oil-wealth means they'll end up running the world"

The sheiks secretly do!

If you look behind the scenes you will find Arabs are major shareholders(and influencers) of many of our highest profile 'branded' (now there's an 70's telly series) 'household name' companies.

Like EBAY!

Bet they are major shareholders of our energy companies too - just lovin watching the prices rise.

HOLA4419

If buying at $35 to $100 an ounce and selling almost anytime in the future is being crucified, then hoist me up.

HOLA4420

however this time around I'm minded of the episode in which del confidently leans back against the bar with his pina colada and cigar to find that the bar isn't there.

Everyone else in the boozer has a good laugh.

HOLA4421

From what I recall....Inflation was rife, food prices went up on a near daily basis. When I went shopping for my mother I used to enjoy pealing the price stickers from cans and other food items to find out what the original price was when it was put on the shelf.

I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

HOLA4422

I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

I'd forgotten it too. At the time it just seemed normal, but looking back we were seeing inflation up-close-and-personal, in a way that hasn't really happened since (except with houses :unsure:).