House Price Crash Forum

A Little Dentist Anecdotal

Rang up a few weeks ago for a dental check-up appointment - was expecting to wait the usual 5 or 6 months. No - problem, when did I wish to come in. Had numerous appointments available for 2 to 3 weeks from asking.

Anyhow, the appointment came and as I was leaving the dentist reminded me to come back in 6 months for another check-up. A year or two ago he was so inundated with work he was cutting down check-ups to yearly.

OK, not the house bust crashing stuff we long to hear but just another indicator of what is going on in the economy. I assume people are cutting back even on dental check-ups.

Rang up a few weeks ago for a dental check-up appointment - was expecting to wait the usual 5 or 6 months. No - problem, when did I wish to come in. Had numerous appointments available for 2 to 3 weeks from asking.

Anyhow, the appointment came and as I was leaving the dentist reminded me to come back in 6 months for another check-up. A year or two ago he was so inundated with work he was cutting down check-ups to yearly.

OK, not the house bust crashing stuff we long to hear but just another indicator of what is going on in the economy. I assume people are cutting back even on dental check-ups.

Pull the other one.

You are making a mountain out of a molar.

Good-these b@stards have had it too good for too long. I long for the day when they beg the NHS to give em back the customers. Mine ditched me because I had been abroad for a year and didn't have a check up. Now I get reminders from him. I would love to see a dentist sitting outside his office like a hooker waiting for a John.

Yep I'm an anti-dentite.

Down here (Sussex) things feel normal, strangely, and surprisingly. In what part of the country are you?

I noticed something similar in a local pub last weekend... I don't often go there, especially on a Saturday night when all pubs near me are usually very busy.

I was shocked that the place was so empty. Only 5 customers ( including me and my son). Is everyone skint ?

I noticed something similar in a local pub last weekend... I don't often go there, especially on a Saturday night when all pubs near me are usually very busy.

I was shocked that the place was so empty. Only 5 customers ( including me and my son). Is everyone skint ?

January sales figures from the shops out today are just dire.

A pub close to me has the mangeresss standing outside from about 9PM on Sat nights trying to form a queue - from the outside you can see the pub is half-empty but they seem intent on trying to get the few punters turning up to queue... so people just go for a curry rather than stand in the cold queuing to get in a half empty pub. Nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Good-these b@stards have had it too good for too long. I long for the day when they beg the NHS to give em back the customers. Mine ditched me because I had been abroad for a year and didn't have a check up. Now I get reminders from him. I would love to see a dentist sitting outside his office like a hooker waiting for a John.

Yep I'm an anti-dentite.

+1. Liars, charlatans, crooks. Failed Doctors with pliers.

An overated craft skill that should be back in the barber's shop where it belongs.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the toothless recovery? :huh:

My mate must be nicking all this guy's business then.

There isn't enough hours in the day to fit all his clients in. He is now looking at spending some of that cash, on a £1.3million bachelor pad overlooking Lords cricket ground. The problem now is obtaining a second parking space underground for his Lambo B)

Just goes to show how you can't ascertain anything about the broader economy from anecdotals.

I cracked a tooth on a peppercorn last Saturday. Got a checkup appointment for today, went in and was booked for two fillings 25 March. Woman before me had her booking set for the 19th. Diary shows last year I had to wait 7 weeks. Cost £45, same as last visit (two fillings again - hadn't been to the dentist for ten years!). Had to pay up front as well, which I don't think was the case before. Very good service.

Spoke with a hairdresser today - own salon - taking £200 pw from the business. Clients are coming back every 8 weeks instead of 5.

There isn't enough hours in the day to fit all his clients in. He is now looking at spending some of that cash, on a £1.3million bachelor pad overlooking Lords cricket ground. The problem now is obtaining a second parking space underground for his Lambo B)

Just goes to show how you can't ascertain anything about the broader economy from anecdotals.

Errrr ... sounds like he might be preparing to build a debt problem for himself.

An overated craft skill that should be back in the barber's shop where it belongs.

But you haven't anything personal against them have you? ;)

It's the toothless recovery? :huh:

Round of applause!

He is now looking at spending some of that cash, on a £1.3million bachelor pad overlooking Lords cricket ground. The problem now is obtaining a second parking space underground for his Lambo

Yes, of course he is.

And what is his situation in the waking world?

But at what cost? As a profession it has a very high rate of wife-battery,depression and alcoholism. And as a result of being bent double over their punters 12 hours a day they often end up with severe arthritis in the spine.

I knew it was time to dump my last dentist when he started inviting me over to his local for a quick one.........between patients..... I kid you not!!

Yep I'm an anti-dentite.

I think most dentists will ditch NHS, once the economy nose dives. Besides, you wont get high quality advanced dental treatment on NHS. Most of it is cheap run on the mill dentistry. You like to pay peanuts, you get monkeys. NHS dentistry will be the first to be eliminated from the NHS arsenal.

failed doctors!! i qualified as a doctor and the re-qualified as a dentist. Dentists are proper business people with high skills. I am sure you have got very bad teeth. thats the common gripe people with poor teeth have.

failed doctors!! i qualified as a doctor and the re-qualified as a dentist. Dentists are proper business people with high skills. I am sure you have got very bad teeth. thats the common gripe people with poor teeth have.

Unfortunately they are paid like brickies, by the work they do ,with little incentive to preserve. So those that want to maximise earnings (and lets's be honest , no-one has a vocation to be a dentist) will find work to do.

And YOU may cut and drill with style and precision but if you have a poorly paid, poorly motivated technician backing you up , the end result is always dire.

The technician that made the gold inlays for my last dentist in the UK must previously have been a steel worker for Corus! His gold inlays were are intricate and textured as a slab of cold steel.I only realised just how poor the quality of the workmanship was ( and the ignorance of the configuration and "anatomy" of a tooth )when I moved to Asia where the manual dexterity skills are head and shoulders.

But at what cost? As a profession it has a very high rate of wife-battery,depression and alcoholism. And as a result of being bent double over their punters 12 hours a day they often end up with severe arthritis in the spine.

I knew it was time to dump my last dentist when he started inviting me over to his local for a quick one.........between patients..... I kid you not!!

He does work exceptionally hard for his money, 10hour days and also Saturdays.

I personally couldn't do it as I am a lazy bugger. But I could think of much more stressful/physical jobs which allow you to just pay your bills.

But I guess it's more than made up for when he jumps into his drop top Lambo paid for in cash at the age of 27 at the end of the day. Whilst The rest of us will cry about being screwed by the system working equally soul destroying jobs sitting in front of a computer 9hours a day and going back to nowhere in sh*tsville on a packed train.

Some people have infinitely more options available to them at the expense of a little more work and a little less time to waste watching TV or fu*king about on the internet.

Edited by ujio

He does work exceptionally hard for his money, 10hour days and also Saturdays.

I personally couldn't do it as I am a lazy bugger. But I could think of much more stressful/physical jobs which allow you to just pay your bills.

But I guess it's more than made up for when he jumps into his drop top Lambo paid for in cash at the age of 27 at the end of the day. Whilst The rest of us will cry about being screwed by the system working equally soul destroying jobs sitting in front of a computer 9hours a day and going back to nowhere in sh*tsville on a packed train.

Some people have infinitely more options available to them at the expense of a little more work and a little less time to waste watching TV or fu*king about on the internet.

Can't argue with any of that.