House Price Crash Forum

Dear All;

An update on the house next door.

Down now to below £155,000 by a massive £5. So this house has had two EA’s and three separate prices.

Started at £175,000 dropped, still didn’t sell. Changed agents price dropped to £165,000 now £154,955.

There is also another one at £155,000 next door but one.

Should be an interesting spring. I have seen a few people looking in cars, turn around then go.

Must have seen me :lol:

Probably have to drop the price down to £105,000 to get people interested.

Thats 40% which now becomes realistic. I still see some of the prices around here are way over the top.

All the best Bonner

ps 'Town End', you only have to look in 'Crystal Peeks' to see the desperation now.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bart of Darkness
Dear All;

Started at £175,000 dropped, still didn’t sell. Changed agents price dropped to £165,000 now £154,955.

There is also another one at £155,000 next door but one.

Probably have to drop the price down to £105,000 to get people interested.

Thats 40% which now becomes realistic.

Do you think the owners would let it go that far or take it off the market first?

Calling all you S. Yorks boys and gals:

although I'm quite familiar with Sheffield in terms of where is nice and where is not so nice, I know next to nothing about other areas of s. yorks. Seen some comments describing Doncaster/Edlington as "chav central" and places to be avoided at all costs, even if you find a cheap house. Is that true? Are they really that bad?

What about Rotherham? Any no go areas there? You know, gangs of feral teenagers terrorising everyone, high burgulary/drug abuse rates, that kind of thing.

Starting to see a lot of decent-looking terraced and semi detached 2 and 3 bed properties on the market now in the 70k-90k band in North Notts/S.Yorks.

I'm looking to buy in the North Notts/S.Yorks area in the future (I'm from Nottingham originally, so I know the good and bad areas of that city well), and I'd appreciate any inside advice on the lay of the land in S. Yorks :unsure:

Cheers.

Edited by Tokyo_Expat
Calling all you S. Yorks boys and gals:

although I'm quite familiar with Sheffield in terms of where is nice and where is not so nice, I know next to nothing about other areas of s. yorks. Seen some comments describing Doncaster/Edlington as "chav central" and places to be avoided at all costs, even if you find a cheap house. Is that true? Are they really that bad?

What about Rotherham? Any no go areas there? You know, gangs of feral teenagers terrorising everyone, high burgulary/drug abuse rates, that kind of thing.

Starting to see a lot of decent-looking terraced and semi detached 2 and 3 bed properties on the market now in the 70k-90k band in North Notts/S.Yorks.

I'm looking to buy in the North Notts/S.Yorks area in the future (I'm from Nottingham originally, so I know the good and bad areas of that city well), and I'd appreciate any inside advice on the lay of the land in S. Yorks :unsure:

Cheers.

I think upmystreet.co.uk does a pretty good job of describing area, but if you're looking for a upmarket village feel i.e. fairly chav free, with good schools etc. and a rural setting I'd consider thorpe salvin, harthill, south anston - all near the s yorks/notts border. Shireoaks on the Chesterfield Canal is nice too. The website www.j31.co.uk carries pictures of all of these.

Places that are rougher (but cheaper) include thurcroft, aston, maltby, kiveton, dinnington, killamarsh - all have good bits but some dire estates too. I can't advise on places further north towards doncaster or barnsley.

Hope this helps.

Have Swift thrown in the towel already. I passed through Gleadless Townend on the bus today and it looked as if all the little cards in their window were blank.

The other day someone on the Sheffield Forum said they didn't seem to be answering their phone. Tonight (Monday) I had a walk past their office and as you say their are no cards up in the window at all. At 5pm the office was locked and in darkness. There were PC's and phones on the desks but no paperwork other other "stuff" making the place look like the Marie Celeste !

Guest Bart of Darkness
The other day someone on the Sheffield Forum said they didn't seem to be answering their phone. Tonight (Monday) I had a walk past their office and as you say their are no cards up in the window at all. At 5pm the office was locked and in darkness. There were PC's and phones on the desks but no paperwork other other "stuff" making the place look like the Marie Celeste !

Thanks for confirming that msp430, I guess the Swift loans place next door is also kaput. I mentioned a few posts earlier that that I didn't expect the 2 new EAs at Townend to survive more than a couple of years, looks like I was being overly cautious in my estimate!

I think upmystreet.co.uk does a pretty good job of describing area, but if you're looking for a upmarket village feel i.e. fairly chav free, with good schools etc. and a rural setting I'd consider thorpe salvin, harthill, south anston - all near the s yorks/notts border. Shireoaks on the Chesterfield Canal is nice too. The website www.j31.co.uk carries pictures of all of these.

Places that are rougher (but cheaper) include thurcroft, aston, maltby, kiveton, dinnington, killamarsh - all have good bits but some dire estates too. I can't advise on places further north towards doncaster or barnsley.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate, that's plenty for me to be going on with. That website is ok, but there are too many ads and links to other sites which gets annoying. But no biggie.

Unfortunately, the chav-free nice places are always 20-30k more expensive :(

Hi Tokyo Expat

Thanks for your question as it's prompted me to join after lurking for a long while.

The key to living in S Yorks is AVOID PIT VILLAGES, Edlington which you mentioned is a pit village. They tend to be rather rough and unwelcoming to outsiders. Steel areas in Sheffield and Rotherham are also to be avoided as are 19th century Coronation Street style suburbs.

There are however plenty of nice places and cheap (and getting cheaper) compared to most of the country.

I'm don't know what sort of place you're looking for but here's a few suggestions:

'yuppie flats' - lots in central Sheffield and Doncaster Lakeside

'studenty' - Broomhill / Crookes area of Sheffield

affluent suburbs - Dore, Eccleshall and Fulwood in Sheffield, Moorgate, Whiston, Wickersley in Rotherham, Bessacarr, Sprotborough and Edenthorpe in Doncaster, not much in Barnsley

new developments - Mosbrough in Sheffield, Woodfield in Doncaster

market towns - Penistone in Barnsley, Bawtry and Tickhill in Doncaster

rural villages - some to the north of Sheffield such as Bradfield and Outigbridge, between Penistone and Barnsley, south-east of Rotherham and all around Doncaster.

The Bassetlaw area of North Notts has many lovely villages too (but again avoid pit villages like Bircoates) and Retford is a nice market town.

There's local elections next week - the higher the combined Conservative/LibDem/Green total the better the area.

Look at the local council websites as they often give good descriptions of their different neighbourhoods and finally it's better to get a smaller house in a good area than a bigger house in a worse one.

Hi Tokyo Expat

Thanks for your question as it's prompted me to join after lurking for a long while.

The key to living in S Yorks is AVOID PIT VILLAGES, Edlington which you mentioned is a pit village. They tend to be rather rough and unwelcoming to outsiders. Steel areas in Sheffield and Rotherham are also to be avoided as are 19th century Coronation Street style suburbs.

There are however plenty of nice places and cheap (and getting cheaper) compared to most of the country.

I'm don't know what sort of place you're looking for but here's a few suggestions:

'yuppie flats' - lots in central Sheffield and Doncaster Lakeside

'studenty' - Broomhill / Crookes area of Sheffield

affluent suburbs - Dore, Eccleshall and Fulwood in Sheffield, Moorgate, Whiston, Wickersley in Rotherham, Bessacarr, Sprotborough and Edenthorpe in Doncaster, not much in Barnsley

new developments - Mosbrough in Sheffield, Woodfield in Doncaster

market towns - Penistone in Barnsley, Bawtry and Tickhill in Doncaster

rural villages - some to the north of Sheffield such as Bradfield and Outigbridge, between Penistone and Barnsley, south-east of Rotherham and all around Doncaster.

The Bassetlaw area of North Notts has many lovely villages too (but again avoid pit villages like Bircoates) and Retford is a nice market town.

There's local elections next week - the higher the combined Conservative/LibDem/Green total the better the area.

Look at the local council websites as they often give good descriptions of their different neighbourhoods and finally it's better to get a smaller house in a good area than a bigger house in a worse one.

That's great "inside dope" mate, thanks. Yeah, you're so right about buying a smaller house in a nice area rather than a bigger house in a rougher one. Ex-pit towns can be as unwelcoming as fvck, even for white skinned northerners like myself. My wife's Japanese, so I can only begin to imagine the flak she'd cop in some of those places.

I'll keep researching, saving, and biding my time. This crash has gotta happen, it's just gotta I tell ya!

Places that are rougher (but cheaper) include thurcroft, aston, maltby, kiveton, dinnington, killamarsh

Although I only really know Kiveton, Thurcroft and Dinnington out of that list, Dinnington one would probably be my favourite (if you can call it that). Namely because there's a couple of decent restaurants (relative to the local area), free town parking, reasonable local shopping and property is quite cheap. It's also getting a new business incubation center and has quite a busy business park so could be good for future prices.

Again this is just me personally, but I'd try and live as close to Sheffield as possible.

Do you think the owners would let it go that far or take it off the market first?

They might have to. I think by the end of the year we are going to see 20% to 25% minimum in real terms.

However the Sothall estate has always been a bit moderate. No massive rises as in the South / west areas of Sheffield and no Massive falls either.

All I can say is that the plot next door is OK but it's leasehold. Probably the next door putting prospective buyers off :lol:

Seriously the house has been on the market for quite some time, and not had many views as far as I know. As I said in an earlier post . The price is just too much every time they drop it. I think they now have lost the market.

Bonner

Dear Tokyo Expat;

Some good info for you in the other posts.

I would add that in this area it is down to streets as well.

You can have bad neighbours in any street. I also like the Retford area and of course where I live now Sothall / Beighton. Good Primary schools, Secondary schools not so good. Transport links good to fair. Rother Valley park.

My wife is also Asian, and we only get trouble from the Chav’s.

Don’t worry too much about the Chavs you will find them everywhere. Three cars MEW’d to the eyeballs etc. etc. Most of them have not got two brain cells to rub together though.

All the best

Bonner

Although I only really know Kiveton, Thurcroft and Dinnington out of that list, Dinnington one would probably be my favourite (if you can call it that). Namely because there's a couple of decent restaurants (relative to the local area), free town parking, reasonable local shopping and property is quite cheap. It's also getting a new business incubation center and has quite a busy business park so could be good for future prices.

Again this is just me personally, but I'd try and live as close to Sheffield as possible.

Speaking of Dinnington, take a look at the following:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/search.rsp?lo_u...amp;s_tat=false

Looks like a BTL portfolio is being unloaded on the market! :rolleyes:

P.S. Those rents are damn cheap; does that mean DSS chavs are being housed there? Or students?

Speaking of Dinnington, take a look at the following:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/search.rsp?lo_u...amp;s_tat=false

Looks like a BTL portfolio is being unloaded on the market! :rolleyes:

P.S. Those rents are damn cheap; does that mean DSS chavs are being housed there? Or students?

I can remember reading in the local press (Sheffield Star/Telegraph) in the mid 90s about these types of houses in Dinno being up for sale for circa £8 - 10k each! There was a spate of 'cheapest houses in the country' stories back then. Ex pit houses that needed a lot of work doing on them. Lots of them rented to the social sector and DSS types.

Yesterday I went past the small estate on Park Grange Road built on the site of the old council flats for the first time in a couple of weeks and was amazed to see loads of "For sale" signs up from a variety of estate agents. Looking on Rightmove I can only find the one ..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-101...=1&tr_t=buy

which the advert says has no onward chain. Given that and the number of properties for sale I'm guessing we have a few BTL'ers dumping properties at the moment. Does anyone on here know this area any better and who can confirm this ?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-208...90&tr_t=buy

Dudley Road, Sheffield, S6 £149,950 3 bedroom semi-detached

Property Value: £149,950

15% Deposit Paid

Monthly Letting: £695

Monthly Mortgage: £573

Monthly Income: £122

Legal Fees Refunded on Completion

Stamp Duty Exempt

Valuation Fee Refunded on Completion

£2500 Cashback on Completion

Free money!! Why am I not applying right now?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-208...90&tr_t=buy

Free money!! Why am I not applying right now?

For that you could rent:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-102...2&tr_t=rent

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-208...2&tr_t=rent

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-175...4&tr_t=rent

So maybe when they say £695 is the rental...they are talking total and utter ********.

That will be £400 max in a few months, or at auction.

Bye Bye BTLers.

Dear All;

House next door.

Obviously stung by my comment about the massive £5 of the asking price, the vendors have dropped the price again to £149,995. :D

This is what it should have been at the top of the market. Only another £30,000 to go to hit my prediction of £110000 by the end of the year!

All the best

bonner

These have just been built out in the sticks near to sheffield on the A57 in Anston - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-172...=1&tr_t=buy ; that's 12 flats marketed at the top of the market, going for 4 bed house prices circa 2004. The place seems empty since they went up for sale 4 or so months ago {Dec 2007). They're asking a fixed price of 165k - it'll be interesting to see what they eventually get for them. I suspect with all that's gone down since Dec 2007 the 'fixed price' condition will be quietly dropped.

any estimates on their true worth? I'll guestimate for 90 - 100k per flat.

They've now dropped the original estate agents and are offering them for £120k (down from £150k) - well sort of. The ad now says:

Two Bedroom Apartments Available On A 75% Shared Ownership From £119,995 Based On A Full Market Price From £149,950

*** Incentives Available ***

# 5% Deposit Paid

# Solicitors fees paid

# Stamp duty paid

# Mortgage subsidy for 12 months

See New ad link

Any comments on Sheffield, particulary Crookes? Things have been really quiet and offers seem to be a few K below asking price. I know of one on the market at £135 that has received 2 offers, the highest being £130.

Oh, Crookes! When I first met my husband he was living in a bedsit in Crookesmoore road for 32/6d a week - £1.75. Mind you that was cheap even in l968. Is Crookes still a student area or have they been priced out?

Dear Mrs Bear;

Crooksmoor / Upper Walkley, still a student area. i used to live in Springvale Road many moons ago. Short walk to work from there.

Steep hills after a pub crawl as well! I think I would be in the gutter now if I attempted the 'Walkley Mile!'

Some of the houses are nice, but some 'oh dear'. Still overpriced for what they are. No parking etc. etc.

Update on the house next door:-

Now on the Market by HBoS / Halifax as reported earlier. The original Agent had reported it as Leasehold.

Halifax now say its Freehold. I wonder????

There was a visitation on Friday as well someone viewing. :o

All the best

Bonner

prince Naseem has just put his mansion up for sale - oddly enough no selling price listed on rightmove - although it may be in the region of £4million according to the Sheffield Star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Naz-selling-...ouse.4050099.jp

I wonder how fast it sells? Would love to Prperty Bee it - but with no selling price it's not possible :angry:

Guest Bart of Darkness
Castle Dyke House is only yards from the spot on Ringinglow Road where he was involved in a 90mph smash with a VW Golf in his £325,000 McLaren-Mercedes in 2005.

The former world featherweight champ was jailed for 15 months and later stripped of his MBE after the accident, which broke nearly every bone in 41-year-old Anthony Burgin's body.

I used to work near Psalter Lane where he had some offices. He would be a semi-regular sight, driving some sports car or other. Not a very considerate driver from the sound of this.

Is this the place? Rightmove.

Eye thats the place - interesting how he doesnt want to list the price on RM.

I've seen him years ago driving up and down ecclesall rd in a silver sports car - then while at some traffic lights - revving his engine to show off to everyone walking past- only to then stall the car when the light turned green!! Ha HA!! What a twit - hope his mansion wont sell for 9 mill asking price.