House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phaedrus

Realistic Valuation

Where would be the best place to get a realistic valuation on my house?

I'm not talking about a plucked-out-of-thin-air estate agent one, because they want the instruction. I want one that reflects the true value of the house, given current market conditions.

Would a Surveyor be my best bet? If so, would 3 Surveyors give 3 different figures and if so would they be pretty close to oneanother? How would I go about finding a decent Surveyor, bearing in mind I have no personal recommendations?

Find the most simliar house on rightmove and take 5% off ( after checking with other properties it is not over priced)if you need to sell it quickly.

It's a bit more complex than just selling it quickly. I have looked on nethouseprices, and nothing similar has sold for the past year. In fact, there are not more than a handful similar houses in the area, due to its history and position. I do need a realistic valuation though.

I'm not talking about a plucked-out-of-thin-air estate agent one, because they want the instruction. I want one that reflects the true value of the house, given current market conditions.

Would a Surveyor be my best bet? If so, would 3 Surveyors give 3 different figures and if so would they be pretty close to oneanother? How would I go about finding a decent Surveyor, bearing in mind I have no personal recommendations?

I TOOK A LOOK AT ONE OF THE SITES SUCH AS NET HOUSPRICES to see what other properties on my street had sold for- Then got 3 EA's around and based what I thought it would sell for from the information I had - which was lower than all 3 EAS's advised.

I accepted an offer of 5K below this

However I still made a very good profit and more importantly SOLD.

Others on my street WERE OVER-PRICED and didn't sell. It is with some satisfaction that i noticed one of the more overpriced ones has finally sold - at 10K less than I sold up for 14 months ago

I TOOK A LOOK AT ONE OF THE SITES SUCH AS NET HOUSPRICES to see what other properties on my street had sold for- Then got 3 EA's around and based what I thought it would sell for from the information I had - which was lower than all 3 EAS's advised.

I accepted an offer of 5K below this

However I still made a very good profit and more importantly SOLD.

Others on my street WERE OVER-PRICED and didn't sell. It is with some satisfaction that i noticed one of the more overpriced ones has finally sold - at 10K less than I sold up for 14 months ago

See my post above, it's a little more complex than just selling it. I need a valuation first in order to make a decision. Sorry can't be any more specific than that.

You are probably in a very difficult position then. you could use a nethouseprice of 1 to 2 years ago and adjust it to what you think the market has done. The problem is your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You are probably in a very difficult position then. you could use a nethouseprice of 1 to 2 years ago and adjust it to what you think the market has done. The problem is your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Not a popular view on this BB but most EAs I know are quite honest and also knowledgable regarding their local prices - especially if you ask them for a realistic valuation, one where the property is priced to sell rather than dream about! I usually get four in when I'm selling and mostly three will be within a few K of each other with one always a bit further out (either up or down).

To be honest, I agree the EA's route will be the best way. Say you need to sell quickly and they will give you a realistic quote.

I just still smart from all the EA's I spoke to (6 in total) saying my house will be very easy to sell. It took only 6 months to fly of the selves, and a drop in the price.

Get them to give you a suggested asking price for a quick sale and the price you are likely to get for a quick sale. Then tell them you will not necessarily go with the agent who has quoted them the highest figure (this should go without saying but lots of vendors do) and ask them how they arrived at that figure. WHat have they sold, what is their thinking, what are the good and bad points etc.

Hopefully they will all come to similar conclusions, but if they don't you should have an idea which one knew the most and which one was full of rubbish!

FF

In a falling market, there is no way of valuing a house.

It is worth what you can get for it, no more and no less.

Surveyors cannot value in present conditions.. they will simply

take an average of advertised prices which is meaningless.

EAs simply sell at whatever price the seller is happy with.

It all depends how keen one is to sell.

Stick a few pictures together and a basic description together start a thread and let the HPC massive decide.