House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
XMA5

Cotswolds

Thinking of buying a house in the cotswolds to let as a holdiay cottage not sure if now is a good time or should i wait a bit.

Are you even remotely serious? I am guessing that you aren't. On the off chance that you are, can you say:

Where?

What are the figures that you are using?

yes i am serious spend 220k around bourton on water +5 mile .hope for a return of 5%on investment then the probperty rise in longerterm

Guest struthitsruth

Cotswold property is prime without a doubt, weekenders from Brum, Cov and the East Midlands find it very accessible and depending on rail links so can Londoners.

A member of my family has just paid way more than that for a place in a village outside Stow. It's not a short term investment though. If Cotswolds is what you want and likely to remain desirable overall, then they will continue to command a serious asking price. After all, they're not building around them thar hills any more are they ?

:)

'struth

Apologies in that case.

I know more about the Oxfordshire market and you'd be extremely lucky to find something of the necessary size/location/cuteness for £220 here. Bourton is a nice place but a bit further from London so that may well be a more reasonable proposition there (but not by much).

Am sure that they'll do well in long-term but not necessarily in the short term Morse Cottage!

I was sceptical as to whether you were serious because this is not the place I would choose for investment advice in prop at the moment! I suggest that you post on Motley Fool Property Investment site. They are more geared to conventional BTL but are more likely to be able to help.

BTW why go to the faff of doing all this when you can get 5% in the bank without the risk?

Thanks for the tip will have a look at the fool site,

I am buying as i have a paye job and pay a lot of tax and hope to use the cottage as a tax loss,

have looked in north norfolk but i do not like that area,

not sure of best value investment, either buy 2 flats or a 3 bed house

My parents live around there. (retirement cottage, river at bottom of garden, dry stone walls, the english ideal)

Note - rentals are very low if on AST compared to value.

Only way of getting decent yield is as holiday cottage let. Then - needs to be a holiday cottage (i.e. period property, nice views etc.) Unlikely to get anything nice enough at that price to cut the mustard

You then need to either to hand cottage over to professionals to upkeep/ market on your behalf, or live in area to do yourself (e..g do laundry/ garden/ clean up)

BTW - anecdotally outsiders think property is cheap in Cotswolds...! (well, listening to tourists comments as they window shop) BUT the local income isn't there to support.