House Price Crash Forum

What To Do With 100k

HOLA441

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing-and...71&in_page_id=3

Spread of opinions, but this one is interesting:

QUOTE:

The financial adviser

FUND analyst Mark Dampier is among the most respected commentators on the mainstream investment market.

His anxiety over savers' love affair with property is well-known. Buy-to-let, he says, is 'a disaster waiting to happen - if it isn't happening already'. Property has no place in his investment portfolio.

Dampier, left, of Bristolbased adviser Hargreaves Lansdown, would put all his £100,000 into equities, half into well-run funds investing in emerging markets and Japan. But he would avoid too much exposure to China. 'Excessive rapid growth leads to corruption and could trigger a banking crisis in China of the sort we saw in Russia,' he says.

Then £25,000 would go into European funds, including those investing in eastern Europe. 'European companies are making money and the region is doing better even than China.'

The remaining £25,000 would go into a well-run, aggressive UK fund. No American exposure? 'The problem is that there are no fund managers available to UK investors who do a good job running US money,' he says.

But Dampier is a pessimist who believes there is a distinct possibility of economic calamity in the form of a credit crunch. He says governments and populations in major economies such as Britain and America are in debt 'up to their ears'. The size of this debt threatens to hit spending and if spending stops too abruptly, corporate profits will plunge and unemployment rocket.

Dampier says the danger signs will be a jump in unemployment and a serious dip in house prices. At the first hint of this, he will pull out of shares and retreat into UK government bonds and gold.

END QUOTE

There's an inset panel with the quote: Mark Dampier 'PROPERTY'S HAD IT': Mark Dampier

!!!!

PW

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Note how the BTL guy makes a million...

Anyhow, interesting comments from Dampier. I'll have a think about my funds. :)

I think the this guys a complete deluded tool, just because HPI has been running at 20% PA for the last 5 years he somehow believes based on this projection he going to make a Million in the next 5 years. He would be better off going out and buying a truck full of hash and smoking himself silly than sticking in property, at least he'll be happy when the whole sh!thouse comes crashing down, *****.

HOLA446
HOLA447
My last post kill this thread stone dead.

Maybe I should avoid reporting real trades

Lol. Wow.

Sure if I tried that I would lose money faster than I could by buying a house :blink:

Fascinating though, do you trade as a living? Take it you spend a lot of time and effort researching? As a complete opposite my house deposit is in very boring blue chip shares / trackers and cash - probably smart for me as I am not financially adept.

Love to hear more.......

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Just think, Blair aged 85 - still doing after dinner speaking to fund his BTL empire.

Former president Blair, who purchased his Central London property in 2004 - at the top of the biggest property bubble in history, recently extended the mortgage on the property by another 10 years. The property market has never recovered from the slump of 2006 - 2015 after Britain had been exposed as having an economy with no real foundations and the currency crisis and realignment that affected all the Western economies. Blair is still just enough of a draw on the Asian businessmen circuit and delivers lectures on the importance of maintaining a manufacturing base and not allowing African countries to undercut them in global markets.

HOLA4411
Cool - mine's in something Japanese at the moment :)

Me too, and we had a good night last night - 1.66% up on the Nikkei and 0.5% Yen appreciation, although of course it sometimes goes the other way.

Break up of LDP could be good for the economy plus exposure to China but without the risks.

Property in Tokyo is rising again after 15 years.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413