In your dreams?

Cole shakes his head, "No."

MALCOLM

When you're awake?

Cole nods, "Yes."

MALCOLM

Broke people, like beggars?

COLE

No, walking around, like regular people... They can't see each other. Some of them don't know they're broke.

MALCOLM

They don't know they're broke?

Malcolm becomes completely motionless. Works to hide his shock. He and Cole stare at each other a long time.

COLE

They tell me stories... how their house has gone up in value... how they went on holiday to the Hawaii using a credit card... how they MEWd to buy the Porsche Boxster on the driveway

Malcolm's words are extra-controlled. Revealing nothing.

MALCOLM

How often do you see them?

COLE

All the time. They're everywhere.

You won't tell anyone my secret, right?

MALCOLM

...No.

COLE

Will you stay here till I fall asleep?

Malcolm nods, "Yes." Cole pulls the covers up to his chin and turns to the window in the room. Malcolm is very still andstares at Cole.

MALCOLM'S EYES -- slowly turn and survey the room. They find nothing. Malcolm returns to watching Cole.

COLE'S EYES LOOK AROUND THE ROOM WARILY... WE MOVE IN ON THEM -- TILL HIS EYES FILL THE FRAME.

And then we see what he's staring at. Through Cole's hospital room window we look across onto a Beezer housing estate. Rows of small houses are visible. In the windows are owners... SOME OLD, SOME YOUNG... SOME ARE DRESSED IN MODERN NEW CLOTHES... SOME WASH THEIR NEW CARS.

COLE

I want to tell you my secret now.

Malcolm blinks very slowly

MALCOLM

Okay.

Cole takes an eternal pause.  A silent tension engulfs them both

COLE

...I see people.

Malcolm just gazes quietly.

COLE

I see broke people... 

MALCOLM

In your dreams?

MALCOLM

When you're awake?

Cole nods, "Yes."

MALCOLM

COLE

No, walking around, like regular people...  They can't see each other.  Some of them don't know they're broke.

MALCOLM

Malcolm becomes completely motionless.  Works to hide his shock. He and Cole stare at each other a long time.

COLE

They tell me stories...  how their house has gone up in value... how they went on holiday to the Hawaii using a credit card... how they MEWd to buy the Porsche Boxster on the driveway

Malcolm's words are extra-controlled.  Revealing nothing.

MALCOLM

COLE

All the time.  They're everywhere.

MALCOLM

...No.

COLE

Malcolm nods, "Yes."  Cole pulls the covers up to his chin and turns to the window in the room.  Malcolm is very still andstares at Cole.

MALCOLM'S EYES -- slowly turn and survey the room.  They find nothing.  Malcolm returns to watching Cole.

COLE'S EYES LOOK AROUND THE ROOM WARILY...  WE MOVE IN ON THEM -- TILL HIS EYES FILL THE FRAME.

And then we see what he's staring at.  Through Cole's hospital room window we look across onto a Beezer housing estate.  Rows of small houses are visible.  In the windows are owners...  SOME OLD, SOME YOUNG...  SOME ARE DRESSED IN MODERN NEW CLOTHES...  SOME WASH THEIR NEW CARS.

But mostly they are having a larf at the silly bu99ers who will be paying out £5000 a month :lol: in 25 years time for renting something the size of a shoebox while they, having been through the pain, are sitting back enjoying life.

But mostly they are having a larf at the silly bu99ers who will be paying out £5000 a month :lol:  in 25 years time for renting something the size of a shoebox while they, having been through the pain, are sitting back enjoying life.

Goddamm,

You are a real fool.

At the moment it is cheaper to rent than pay the interest on a mortgage you numpty. Any extra money gets buried away to use as a deposit later on.

You are very, very thick and will last a few minutes on here.

and where are they going to get £5000 a month to pay rent...

The real problems will exist where rents are too high for low paid people.

What happens then - oh i cant pay - so you dont rent out your house...

Then the government is smacked because people say - bugger it - im not going to work because i cant afford F all. House me and give me my spending money.

Result people get taxed heavier

More people cant afford anything

Prices decrease.

COLE

I want to tell you my secret now.

Malcolm blinks very slowly

MALCOLM

Okay.

Cole takes an eternal pause.  A silent tension engulfs them both

COLE

...I see people.

Malcolm just gazes quietly.

COLE

I see broke people... 

MALCOLM

In your dreams?

MALCOLM

When you're awake?

Cole nods, "Yes."

MALCOLM

COLE

No, walking around, like regular people...  They can't see each other.  Some of them don't know they're broke.

MALCOLM

Malcolm becomes completely motionless.  Works to hide his shock. He and Cole stare at each other a long time.

COLE

They tell me stories...  how their house has gone up in value... how they went on holiday to the Hawaii using a credit card... how they MEWd to buy the Porsche Boxster on the driveway

Malcolm's words are extra-controlled.  Revealing nothing.

MALCOLM

COLE

All the time.  They're everywhere.

MALCOLM

...No.

COLE

Malcolm nods, "Yes."  Cole pulls the covers up to his chin and turns to the window in the room.  Malcolm is very still andstares at Cole.

MALCOLM'S EYES -- slowly turn and survey the room.  They find nothing.  Malcolm returns to watching Cole.

COLE'S EYES LOOK AROUND THE ROOM WARILY...  WE MOVE IN ON THEM -- TILL HIS EYES FILL THE FRAME.

And then we see what he's staring at.  Through Cole's hospital room window we look across onto a Beezer housing estate.  Rows of small houses are visible.  In the windows are owners...  SOME OLD, SOME YOUNG...  SOME ARE DRESSED IN MODERN NEW CLOTHES...  SOME WASH THEIR NEW CARS.

Excellent! :lol:

Goddamm,

You are a real fool.

At the moment it is cheaper to rent than pay the interest on a mortgage you numpty. Any extra money gets buried away to use as a deposit later on.

A deposit against a house costing more next year than it did this year and more every year that you misguidedly think that prices will fall. Renting is for mugs - once your in it try to get out - you will always think there is a better time to buy and therefore probably never will as "it is be cheaper to rent than buy and I can always put away the difference for a deposit". 25 years ago you could have said the same but your £150 a month rent would now be £700 while at the same time the person who bought back then is now paying £0, nil, zero, sweet FA. :lol:

A deposit against a house costing more next year than it did this year and more every year that you misguidedly think that prices will fall. Renting is for mugs - once your in it try to get out - you will always think there is a better time to buy and therefore probably never will as "it is be cheaper to rent than buy and I can always put away the difference for a deposit". 25 years ago you could have said the same but your £150 a month rent would now be £700 while at the same time the person who bought back then is now paying £0, nil, zero, sweet FA. :lol:

Please everyone just ignore this idiot. It's clear that reasoned debate won't work with the likes of this. The lack of basic financial understanding would indicate that this is in fact somebody of primary school age so don't waste your time on them.

Get back to Blue Peter dum

25 years ago you could have said the same but your £150 a month rent would now be £700 while at the same time the person who bought back then is now paying £0, nil, zero, sweet FA. :lol:

My my, you are very simple!

Equally, you could have bought 15 years ago (in 1990) and have been repossessed and still paying now for a house you don't own.

Think about it!

... a house costing more next year than it did this year and more every year that you misguidedly think that prices will fall. Renting is for mugs - once your in it try to get out -

Can you explain:

a ) negative equity

B) how the term ever managed to be coined in your world of ever increasing prices

c) how easy it is to get out of a mortgage that has gone neg eq

So how clever are you now? That's right : in the corner you go and don't forget to wear the big pointy hat with a "D" on it. Chop chop!

this guy thinks were never gonna buy, he fails to understand we just aint gonna buy at the top of a huge bubble.

Hes making assumptions on the fact we will always be renting.

thats just plain stupid

7x times earnings says it all, if you dont understand what that means let me explain to you.

it means every single penny an average worker earns for 7 years he will need to pay out to own a roof over his head.

Now a fellow needs to eat some bread, and put the heater on for his grandma in the winter, he needs to pay council tax, water bills and electricity, he will need a car most likely to get the 7x times income to pay the house.

So let me put it another way, the fellow that buys now will spend the next 20 years of his life living on bread.

id rather eat cake

Tell us, when does Kirstie find out she is broke?

Does it suddenly dawn on her when see lots of red (bills). She can stumble around on the street, shouting "but I am famous, I am a financial expert", and everyone will just ignore her.

You can see right through ghosts right? Shame we can see through her.

AHHHH got it, thats why she wears 50 year old clothes! Everytime she bangs on about needing new houses to be built, she is talking about rebuilding after the Blitz!

Tell us, when does Kirstie find out she is broke?

Does it suddenly dawn on her when see lots of red (bills). She can stumble around on the street, shouting "but I am famous, I am a financial expert", and everyone will just ignore her.

You can see right through ghosts right? Shame we can see through her.

AHHHH got it, thats why she wears 50 year old clothes! Everytime she bangs on about needing new houses to be built, she is talking about rebuilding after the Blitz!

If Kirstie was a ghost she'd look a bit like that green ghost in Ghostbusters, Slimer - the one that eats everything!

The man is a dickhe@d - that's not swe@ring I hope.

I know a bloke who got caught last time round. Bought a 2 bed flat (not as an investment) in 1988. Got made redundant in 1990 - gave up in 1991 - posted the keys through the Building Society door and took off. Ended up in a seaside resort living in caravan.

Years later he came back and started working in the normal economy. Within 5 minutes the Building Society had an attachment of earnings order and he is still, to this day, paying off what he owes (they did come to an arrangement as he could never have afforded the whole debt).

He now has a Interest Only mortgage (all he can afford) and has no prospect of paying off his mortgage - now or any forseeable time in the future. Being that much older now - good jobs are no longer easy to find.

The mistake he made in 1988 of buying at the top of an overheated market is haunting him for the rest of his life.

I would hate anyone to come on this site and take any notice of the dickhe@d. Whatever else you do in property - DO NOT BUY AT THE TOP OF AN OVERHEATED MARKET.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Think about it!

Oh please, don't strain the poor dear's brain by asking him/her to change the habit of a lifetime.

this guy thinks were never gonna buy, he fails to understand we just aint gonna buy at the top of a huge bubble.

He probably assumes we're as stupid as he is.

Now we know what kind of numpty buys at the top of a bubble.

nodunmesumseither

I refer you to my post (11.24am) with the line "I see broke people" in it, in the thread 'Does anyone else see what I see?' started by munimila

That'll be £4.23p please.

Ah, just heard from the Hafilax that the rate for my poor one-bedroomed gag is now £82 .98. It's only fair

I don't think we should let this thread divert from munimula's excellent post. I think a lot of people out there have taken on debt with the back-up plan that "our house is worth so much, we can take on this debt and if we have a problem paying it we could just sell the house or MEW". It obvioulsy becomes very difficult to sell a house or MEW at the price one would like in a down market. There are therefore a lot of people not perceiving they have a problem but it could well come to haunt them - and unfortunately it will probably lead to one or two real deaths - there was a story recently wasn't there of a man you killed himself because of the extent of his debt? Terribly sad, but the quicker people are aware they have a problem the more chance they have of resolving it.