House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
munimula

Increasing Contributions From Parents To Students

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4134184.stm

Parents, concerned at the debts their children are taking on at university, are increasingly contributing to tuition and living costs, the bank found.

I'm just astounded by the growth in debt that students are having to take on;

Average graduate debt

2005 £12,640

2004 £12,180

2003 £8,125

2002 £5,636

2001 £5,170

2000 £3,174

Source: NatWest

It seems that education is now about learning how to borrow....should prepare them nicely for the 'real' world

ye because in 2000 - pretty much all students went to work. Now they think its easy life, sit at rented accom. and get wasted everynight on champagne!

Ok the folks will cover this or ill go bankrupt.

party on. When i went through uni. i lived at home, was shrewed, worked saturday and sunday and actually came out cash rich - the way ive lived hte rest of my life.

But still get wasted a hell of a lot - cheers uni!

ye because in 2000 - pretty much all students went to work. Now they think its easy life, sit at rented accom. and get wasted everynight on champagne!

party on. When i went through uni. i lived at home, was shrewed, worked saturday and sunday and actually came out cash rich - the way ive lived hte rest of my life.

If you had been Shrewd you might have learnt something <_<

Instead of being turned into a small mammal.

Amazing who they'll let into university these days :ph34r:

I take it you got a First then??

Edited by non-FTBer

Yes, it might be easy to work if you're doing a dosser degree which consists of 6 hours a week lectures. Some students actually do a substantial amount of work, I had to do an average 34 hours per week and then I had assignments on top of that, that’s more than most full time jobs!!! There want much time left over to work.

Im also amazed at the rise of debt in school leavers, when i was at school (about 9 years ago) i didnt have a credit card and i didnt have loans... However today school leavers seem to buy cars on credit and maxed out credit cards before they even start uni (anacdote from a work colleges 18 yold son).

Student loans and parents indebtitedness seems to has fueled school leavers credit binge. All i can think is that if a kid knows they will rack up 18k in debt at uni (current school leaver), they dont seem to worry about an extra 4->10k debt.

Its nuts (and very scary)...

Edited by moosetea

i have over £15k of student debt having had to take out hardship loans. I had part time jobs, morrisons, mcdonalds, probation work and IT tech support.

I am still struggling to pay off my bank overdraft even now, a year later, living with the parents and earning an ok wage.

It just seems that Tony Blah and Co are systematically dismantling everything that they enjoyed in their youth.

Fat tw@ts like Charles Clarke make me sick.

I'm all for paying MP's by the hour with a timeclock at the doors into Parliament - see how much they earn then.