House Price Crash Forum
penbat1

Ftse Up And Dow Down...

For about the last week the DOW has gone down every day but the FTSE has been going up every day. Why ? It isnt just the FTSE100 but also the FTSE250 going up. The FTSE250 is way above its record high of a few weeks ago.

The FTSE 100 seems to be fairly heavily weighted towards Oil and Energy stocks which have done very very well recently. Without these the FTSE would have been falling. I dont know if the Dow is similarly weighted but I guess it is dragged down by companies like GM.

The FTSE 100 seems to be fairly heavily weighted towards Oil and Energy stocks which have done very very well recently. Without these the FTSE would have been falling. I dont know if the Dow is similarly weighted but I guess it is dragged down by companies like GM.

Yes i agree but the FTSE250 isnt weighted in the same way as the FTSE100

I agree it is puzzling when the Dow dips and FTSE rises.

Today may well mark the turning point and the FTSE could fall steadily each day for the rest of this week.

When is the next set of economic data due out in the UK,otherwise the FTSE will be driven by the Wall Street gyrations.

HOLD ON TIGHT,THIS WILL BE A BUMPY RIDE

FTSE'ss biggest sectors are Oil, Banks, Pharmaceuticals & Telecomms, which make up 2/3's combined.

The FTSE had a lot of catching up to do with the SP500, but it's done it all and then some in the last 3 months. Very overbought now. Technicals on most FTSE companies is at nosebleed levels that we have not seen for many years.

Enjoy it while it's rising, because you can bet your life than sooner or later the market will turn to s*** and stay that way for longer than anyone wants!