House Price Crash Forum

Real Story With Fiona Bruce

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

"We thought the laws would be the same as Englands"!

Yeah....right. Wake up and smell the coffee for crissakes. As soon as you leave that runway at Gatwick you leave behind hundreds of years of hard fought for rights & freedoms. You are heading for Johnny Foreigner land and don't forget it.

HOLA444

Okay, short list on how they could have depicted a move to Spain in an even poorer light , other than pointing out the drought/fires:

1 )....

Well, actually, I can't think of anything

Fancy having 70% of your house grabbed for a development with no compensation? Fancy that development choc full of puking/shagging scum of Britain? Fancy paying out 100k euros for infrastructure development on the land grabbed from you, just so that the UK chavs can be bussed in smoothly? MOVE TO SPAIN!

Okay, here's the lesson: asset bubbles that look global in a temporal fashion probably are global in a structural fashion. People fled to Spain with little thought, just because property seemed cheaper and was rushing up in price, just like they fled into second line dotcom shares. Laugh at dotcommers and you had it coming.

The classiest bit of the prog was the Spanish journalist talking about Brits just like NF thugs talk about Asians. "They come here with their sausage and chips, don't learn a word of the language and stick to their ghettos dee-blah-dee-blah..."

Best of it was the Brits there were flying the George cross like they'd won the place in a battle. What the hell would NF sorts say if expatriate Asians here started flying their national flags!

Priceless!

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA445
HOLA446

'The classiest bit of the prog was the Spanish journalist talking about Brits just like NF thugs talk about Asians. "They come here with their sausage and chips, don't learn a word of the language and stick to their ghettos dee-blah-dee-blah..."

Best of it was the Brits there were flying the George cross like they'd won the place in a battle. What the hell would NF sorts say if expatriate Asians here started flying their national flags!

Priceless!'

Really makes you think that quote.An excellent analogy. Well done.

HOLA447
HOLA448
'The classiest bit of the prog was the Spanish journalist talking about Brits just like NF thugs talk about Asians. "They come here with their sausage and chips, don't learn a word of the language and stick to their ghettos dee-blah-dee-blah..."

Priceless!'

Really makes you think that quote.An excellent analogy. Well done.

I noticed exactly the same thing.

Not that I'm defending your average chav Englishman, but I think English who move to other countries get a hard time.

Why? Just look at many areas of London, China Town being the obvious one. Effectively taken a chunk of China (Hong Kong) and transported it to the middle of London. Yesterday I was in a Chinese super market, everything was written in Chinese (mandarin or cantonese) and the checkout woman had to point at the price on the till because she couldn't speak English. And there are plenty of other areas in London and the UK in general with large ethnic communities which have engulfed the local area and made it a little China/India/Italy or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with this at all (I think it's great in fact), what I do have a problem is that the English do the same thing and get ripped apart for it.

What was particuarly ironic about it was he was in Eldorado so helped at least in some small way to encourage the Brits to come over.

Perhaps we should ban all tapas bars from the UK because the Spanish come over and ignore all our great food.

"They come here with their squid and octopus, don't learn a word of the language and stick to their ghettos dee-blah-dee-blah..."

HOLA449
I noticed exactly the same thing.

Not that I'm defending your average chav Englishman, but I think English who move to other countries get a hard time.

Why? Just look at many areas of London, China Town being the obvious one. Effectively taken a chunk of China (Hong Kong) and transported it to the middle of London. Yesterday I was in a Chinese super market, everything was written in Chinese (mandarin or cantonese) and the checkout woman had to point at the price on the till because she couldn't speak English. And there are plenty of other areas in London and the UK in general with large ethnic communities which have engulfed the local area and made it a little China/India/Italy or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with this at all (I think it's great in fact), what I do have a problem is that the English do the same thing and get ripped apart for it.

What was particuarly ironic about it was he was in Eldorado so helped at least in some small way to encourage the Brits to come over.

Perhaps we should ban all tapas bars from the UK because the Spanish come over and ignore all our great food.

"They come here with their squid and octopus, don't learn a word of the language and stick to their ghettos dee-blah-dee-blah..."

You are basically right in what you say, but there is a big difference. You were in the China Town because it is a great place and it attracts locals and tourists. You even went so far as to buy something (presumably some speciality). However, can you ever imagine the English "restaurants" and pubs in the Costa del Chav thronging with Spaniards wanting an English and saying things like "eh Pedro, if you want really good pie and chips, go to the ones full of English people".

I doubt it too!

HOLA4410
You are basically right in what you say, but there is a big difference. You were in the China Town because it is a great place and it attracts locals and tourists. You even went so far as to buy something (presumably some speciality).  However, can you ever imagine the English "restaurants" and pubs in the Costa del Chav thronging with Spaniards wanting an English and saying things like "eh Pedro, if you want really good pie and chips, go to the ones full of English people".

I doubt it too!

Did you watch the program?

When did I mention that I went to China Town (yes I know I used it as an example but the Chinese supermarket wasn't there).

If anything your comments prove my point, the English (in general) are happy to embrace other cultures and welcome anybody to it's shores. While we might like and to some extent expect other people to integrate into English culture we are equally happy to make the effort to explore theirs, something the Spanish don't seem to happy to do.

The point is this wasn't about your average chav on the Costa del Sol. In that example I'd totally agree, the Spanish chaps problem was an English mini market and the odd resturant.

HOLA4411
Did you watch the program?

When did I mention that I went to China Town (yes I know I used it as an example but the Chinese supermarket wasn't there).

If anything your comments prove my point, the English (in general) are happy to embrace other cultures and welcome anybody to it's shores. While we might like and to some extent expect other people to integrate into English culture we are equally happy to make the effort to explore theirs, something the Spanish don't seem to happy to do.

The point is this wasn't about your average chav on the Costa del Sol. In that example I'd totally agree, the Spanish chaps problem was an English mini market and the odd resturant.

Yeah but we have crap food. I was in a small coastal town somewhere in the Med last month and every single restaurant offered 'chips and salad' with every single dish. And not a proper salad, oh no: iceburg lettuce, cucumber and tomato. I doubt the fish was even freshly caught.

Somehow the English go on holiday and only want to eat English food. Annoys the hell out of me.

[Ok we do have some good food - particularly our desserts like apple crumble.]

HOLA4412
Guest uberstuka

I hate johnny-foreigners; and anyone who thinks, looks, acts or talks differently to me should be put in a barbed wire enclosure and forced to bulid new houses for us `true-bloods' to live in.

;)

I found the show sad, though amusing in many different ways.

Those Spanish councillors? Make ours look like Rod, Jane and Freddy. You had to feel some compassion for those suffering though. Kinda like the pity you feel for an EA? Or BTL? Or Tony Blair?

Now where's me flag?

HOLA4413
Will soon have programs about BTL's lossing every thing and begging in the streets.

Justice after all  :lol:

Why is it that you 'Corporal Frazers' spend all your time talking about what "is" (in your warped view) going to happen? You remind me of a Tottenham fan who at the start of every season said that all Arsenal/Man Utd fans would be crying into their beer at the end of the season when the facts were that it was always him doing the crying. Instead of spending your life swimming against an inevitable tide face up to reality and stop dreaming of something that aint going to happen - people need houses more than houses need people therefore it is always a sellers market over the long term. Become a seller instead of a dreamer and then you can do the talking.

HOLA4414
people need houses more than houses need people therefore it is always a sellers market over the long term.

Tell that to the Japanese.

Become a seller instead of a dreamer and then you can do the talking.

I agree: if I had a house right now I'd definitely be selling before the crash really bites.

HOLA4415

"people need houses more than houses need people therefore it is always a sellers market over the long term."

Over the long term house prices have averaged an income multiple of x3.5 - they're now around x7. In the long term house prices average out at around x3.5. What's your point?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Somehow the English go on holiday and only want to eat English food. Annoys the hell out of me.

The English are the least cultured, most common people on Earth. I get embarassed abroad.

We actively seek out destinations where we think chavs will not go.

For example, even well - off chavs (IMO 70% of us are chavs) think in a very 'obvious' way. If they wanted a Caribean destination they would go for the 'obvious' choices - Barbados, Jamaica and choose an ultra chavvy hotel such as Sandals (the hieght of chintz and tack).

They almost certainly wouldnt think of the BVIs, Turks & Caicos, Barbuda, St Kitts etc.

Chavvy celebs tend to go for obvious destinations such as Barbados, where as if you read 'Conde Nast Traveller' or 'Elegant Resorts' the more descerning traveller will pick Indonesia, BVIs or the islands off North East Ausrtalia etc. No full English brekkies seved.

HOLA4418
Tell that to the Japanese.

I agree: if I had a house right now I'd definitely be selling before the crash really bites.

1. Join HPC Japan then - the UK is a different market with fewer houses then people needing houses.

2.Having a house means you are part of the game and not sitting on the sidelines - you have a stake in the currency that enables you to move from house A to House B and have something to show for your investment at the end. Renting long term is for mugs.

3.A HPC will not be allowed to happen in the UK - look at the BOE who are now reversing the trend in higher interest rates - not because of lower inflation but because of the fear that the housing market could fall with the knock on effect of reduced confidence amongst consumers. You will find that rates will go as low as necessary to keep the housing market afloat in order to keep people spending in the shops.

HOLA4419
1. Join HPC Japan then - the UK is a different market with fewer houses then people needing houses.

2.Having a house means you are part of the game and not sitting on the sidelines - you have a stake in the currency that enables you to move from house A to House B and have something to show for your investment at the end. Renting long term is for mugs.

3.A HPC will not be allowed to happen in the UK - look at the BOE who are now reversing the trend in higher interest rates - not because of lower inflation but because of the fear that the housing market could fall with the knock on effect of reduced confidence amongst consumers. You will find that rates will go as low as necessary to keep the housing market afloat in order to keep people spending in the shops.

Groan - one born every minute

ABB

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
However, can you ever imagine the English "restaurants" and pubs in the Costa del Chav thronging with Spaniards wanting an English and saying things like "eh Pedro, if you want really good pie and chips, go to the ones full of English people".

I doubt it too!

Maybe not in Spain - but it certainly happens in parts of South East Asia - although English culture/food doesn't travel well. I remember visiting an English pub in KL a few years back - so so wrong. Think mirror pictures of Tom Cruise in Cocktail, GnTs you could strip paint with and locals in black PVC jackets. Real nasty English/Western food too - so stuck with the unhygenic looking local cafes.

HOLA4422

1. Japan is a country with little more land area than Britain and almost double the population. There have been near 0% interest rates, good credit and employment over the past decade of price falls there.

2. Renting is a sensible option in the short term if the market is in bubble conditions. You cannot defy econonmic forces, you cannot ignore histroy. It is the natural ebb and flow of capatilist markets, undershoot and overshoot always occur, you can have capatalism without this. This is one of biggest worldwide bubbles in history. The UK and US have been the most zealous participants. The money you will save yourself from losing in the short term will add to your long term wealth in the longrun when you but 1,2 or 3 years down the line. Plenty of people have in the past, and will in the future, lose BIG in the British property money. There is no 'if' about this, it is 'when', some would say 'already'.

3. The BoE has little control over it. The Governer already admitted house prices are dangeoursly high and there is little they can do to control a bubble when it is frothing. ie., out of control. THEY USED THESE WORDS! CRIPES!. I am sure they did not want the currency attacks and devaluations of the seventies that caused UK plc to beg loans off the IMF. I am sure they did not want the property boom-bust cycles of 1973, 1989 and 1993. I am sure they would have preferred to have done their job properly and stopped financial scandals wiping out pensioners savings just a few years ago. I am sure they would rather have not the dot.com bust wiped out people's savings and crushed business confidence a few years ago.

Bad things happen in life. It is arguable that there can be better ways to avoid problems than the approach we have adopted in the recent past, particularly reverting to a back-door method of reckless credit and mortgage-speculation condoned by Gordy. It is the equivalent (when you take into account government taxation on this activity) of the old ploy of 'going to the printing press'. It is still the same thing. Illusionary money. Eventually, someone has to start paying for it.

HOLA4423

English culture?

I'm not sure what that means and if it has a meaning it's not positive.

There is Britishness and a British culture and British instituitions. Equally, there's Scottish culture and Irish culture and even (although this is streching the point absurdly) Welsh culture.

Of course, there's also London culture.

But English culture? A contradiction in terms. Unless you mean ghettoised lager lout chavs eating sausages in splendid isolation in Spain.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Back to the discussion on Spain. If the people going out spending their life savings actually bothered seeking out all of the proper legal advice and doing their homework these things would not happen (99% of the time). The Spanish have different laws to us (surprised?) so it amazes me when people think they can go it alone and not get stung.

Many ex-pats buying abroad try to save a couple of thousand euros by not getting a lawyer and the builders know that they can take advantage when this happens. There are many thousand ex-pats enjoying a great life in various countries, with no intention of coming back to the shithole that is England.