House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
orrells

Help! Advice Needed On Dealing With Ea

Wondering if anyone can offer me a few crumbs of their wisdon in this area. I wont go into the complexities, essentially I had a 12month Assured shorthold tennancy with one of the worst EA's of recent years (homes direct). When the time came to either sign up to a new contract I 'quibbled' with them over a few issues (namely the 85pound handling fee, 100pound checkout fee, and 25 for referencing my girlfriend) As negotiations on this area dragged, they were incredibly inept and slow to corresond/reply and eventually the actual fixed term ended. When i rasied this concern (believing that i was about to get evicted) they sent me out a contract renewal form, which i didnt sign. For various reasons I have decided to go with a more reputable, and less greedy EA who doesnt charge the **** off you. I have since been told by the current EA that i need to give two months notice to quit??

1) Can they enforce this notice period? The original contract stated a two month notice period by the tennant, but now this has ended I assume the contract is a periodic shorthold, in which case can i get away with 4 weeks, or better still none?

2) The Original EA, Homes direct, has gone into recievership and the new ones, chase devonshire, are known to keep deposits, is it worth withholding the last months rent, and if so, where do I stand??

Sorry for the long post, I would appreciate peoples views on this. For any people sypathising with the Landlord here, I would like to mention that I have never withheld a months rent before, but neither have I been treated so poorly by such a bunch of inept money grabbing s***s.

For various reasons I have decided to go with a more reputable, and less greedy EA who doesnt charge the **** off you. I have since been told by the current EA that i need to give two months notice to quit??

I'm not clear what you are saying? Are you leaving the house, or is the landlord simply switching Estate Agents?

1) Can they enforce this notice period? The original contract stated a two month notice period by the tennant, but now this has ended I assume the contract is a periodic shorthold, in which case can i get away with 4 weeks, or better still none?

No they can't enforce it. You have four weeks notice period. If you withold your rent and continue to occupy they'll soon stop quibbling!

2) The Original EA, Homes direct, has gone into recievership and the new ones, chase devonshire, are known to keep deposits, is it worth withholding the last months rent, and if so, where do I stand??

Usually if there's any doubt about whether you get your deposit back (and there often is) it is worth witholding rent as soon as it's clear that you will leave. However you should be prepared for some bother which you may not want. In the end it's your decision. Other threads on this topic:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=10063

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=12241