House Price Crash Forum

Wanted Down Under Bbc1

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q4594/Wanted_Down_Under_Series_4_Taylor/

About two thirds in for the funny bit.

Two teachers wanting to move to NZ. Had house valued at £235,000 + Its a real MEW special...

BBC sends in valuer .....£185,000. Gasps of shock from tubby family.

Mum "It was valued at two three five"

Eldest Son "Yeh but you didn't have any viewings.."

:lol:

More opportunities in NZ than the UK? Hmmmmm

I know there are more Kiwi's on the dole in Australia than NZ itself. Something my Aussie Uncle spends half his life chuntering about. :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

So many funny bits.

*They are teachers complaining that they work too many hours!

*She filled her time 9-10am "sorting out folders "

*They say it's all about the lifestyle and not the money then threaten not to go when their house is worth less than they thought

*The look of disgust on the Mother and Father's face when told the valuation, it was like they had been asked to wash a tramps c0ck.

Son obviously has a logical mind, no viewings means your asking too much for it!!

Phoney

Edited by PhoneyMcRingRing

HOLA445

There are a huge number of people out there who still fantasize about their ‘equiddy’ providing them with a way out of their dull, trivial, faintly pathetic (and frankly northern) lives. They have not yet come to realise that the ‘equiddy’ was but a transient illusion and that they will die in their grey and tatty little concrete box of failed dreams.

Wonderful! I think I'll recant that in conversation anon & pass it off as my own ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest CrashTestDummy

Moving to Aus/NZ no longer makes financial sense. I am Australian and I went back in 2002. Sold my flat in London and got $250,000 profit. Now I would get $150,000. That's $100,000 lost out in exchange rates alone. I'm starting to feel rather lucky.... :unsure:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I have been watching this series, and am amazed at how the home owners on it are all overvaluing their UK homes, compared to the figures the estate agents are valuing them at, for a quick sale.

For example....Episode 11, 32 mins in, is also worth watching....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q452f/Wanted_Down_Under_Series_4_Haigh/

The family house is in Plymouth 4 beds

The family bought it in 1997 for £61k.

They now think it is worth around £200k.

However the first agent values it at £185k.

The seller (hubbie) says he thinks "the right person will pay that little bit extra" for their house. :lol:

Then the second agent values it at £175k as they want quick sale to move abroad.

The seller (wife) says "the house up the road sold for £220k." :lol:

HOLA4412

I actually am off to Aus in a few days/weeks (pending the visa being finalised). It is a company transfer that should hopefully allow me to avoid the next few years of financial carnage in the UK.

So I have been watching these ‘wanted down under’ programs on a fairly regular basis. The recurring theme is that the EA values the house for less than the potential émigré feels it is ‘worth’

The people looking to move abroad all expect that the very fact that they have owned a house in the UK for the last few years should ‘see them right’ with regards to loads of equity and a consequently dirt cheap house when they hit the sunny shores.

What they do not realise is that the value of their house in the UK has crashed, especially if they need a quick sale. Meanwhile, the cost of Aus housing is flying up and away in a spectacular bubble. And the UK pound has dropped by about a third versus the Aus dollar over the last year. These people are so thick that it hurts.

There are a huge number of people out there who still fantasize about their ‘equiddy’ providing them with a way out of their dull, trivial, faintly pathetic (and frankly northern) lives. They have not yet come to realise that the ‘equiddy’ was but a transient illusion and that they will die in their grey and tatty little concrete box of failed dreams. They are learning though. Slowly.

:lol::lol:

I'll add that to my sig. if you don't mind

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

:lol::lol:

I'll add that to my sig. if you don't mind

Why thank you! Flattery indeed. I should take those vitriol pills more often :D

Another classic here. Thrirty two minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q456l/Wanted_Down_Under_Series_4_Burnley/

They think their house is worth £200K. EA advises £160 - £165K for a quick sale. The bird, who lives in Leeds, which is frankly the epicentre of the property market crash, says that she is 'surprised as the crash has not really hit us here' Well....duh....you thought your house was worth over £200K....and it has been valued at £160.......maybe, just maybe, the crash HAS hit........

HOLA4415

Why thank you! Flattery indeed. I should take those vitriol pills more often :D

Another classic here. Thrirty two minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q456l/Wanted_Down_Under_Series_4_Burnley/

They think their house is worth £200K. EA advises £160 - £165K for a quick sale. The bird, who lives in Leeds, which is frankly the epicentre of the property market crash, says that she is 'surprised as the crash has not really hit us here' Well....duh....you thought your house was worth over £200K....and it has been valued at £160.......maybe, just maybe, the crash HAS hit........

:D

cheers for that, he seems to be spending a long time reaching for the remote control, or is he 'warming up' the missus, to take her mind off the bad Ea figures..

...W@nkered Down Under' ?

:unsure:

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4416

Yep, I can see that happening. Easy.

The irony of it... "Evil" banks are in fact protecting FTB from a crashing market, and in this case, from the FTB's own parents!

Pity the whole thread was pulled. It would be a very educational thread.

In this case the moderators should just bl*ck the worst invectives, for such a pearl of a thread... Pity... :(

Don't be to disappointed, I think it could be a fictional line.

I am addicted to HPC, check posts numerous times a day (especially anything about 'boomers' (me) and I have no memory of those details!!!

Unfortunate that the scribe is unable to provide a link!! :P

RF

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

So many funny bits.

*They are teachers complaining that they work too many hours!

*She filled her time 9-10am "sorting out folders "

*They say it's all about the lifestyle and not the money then threaten not to go when their house is worth less than they thought

*The look of disgust on the Mother and Father's face when told the valuation, it was like they had been asked to wash a tramps c0ck.

Son obviously has a logical mind, no viewings means your asking too much for it!!

Phoney

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4419

Having a daughter living in Australia I watch programs such as these with interest. I have noticed that the exchange rate (pounds to aussie dollars) used when giving the cost of houses is not correct. The exchange rate used is never stated but when they provide information that allows it to be calculated it always seems to be 2 aussie dollars to the pound.(or more). Today's rate is less than 1.8. I accept that the excahange rate may change between the dates when the program was made and broadcast but believe that the rate used to calculate house prices in the program should be incorporated into the program or given at the end of the program.

In the similar program tonight on channel 4 (Phil Down Under) 40000 aussie dollars was said to be equivalent to £18000, equivalent to an exchange rate of about 2.2 aussie dollars to the pound. If this is the rate they used to calculate the price (in pounds) of the houses shown in the program they are misleading the viewers with respect to what they could afford to buy today.

HOLA4420

Having a daughter living in Australia I watch programs such as these with interest. I have noticed that the exchange rate (pounds to aussie dollars) used when giving the cost of houses is not correct. The exchange rate used is never stated but when they provide information that allows it to be calculated it always seems to be 2 aussie dollars to the pound.(or more). Today's rate is less than 1.8. I accept that the excahange rate may change between the dates when the program was made and broadcast but believe that the rate used to calculate house prices in the program should be incorporated into the program or given at the end of the program.

In the similar program tonight on channel 4 (Phil Down Under) 40000 aussie dollars was said to be equivalent to £18000, equivalent to an exchange rate of about 2.2 aussie dollars to the pound. If this is the rate they used to calculate the price (in pounds) of the houses shown in the program they are misleading the viewers with respect to what they could afford to buy today.

And your surprised?

Him and that fat piece have been too well paid for helping to create the sh*thole that UK has now become.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

... The bird, who lives in Leeds, which is frankly the epicentre of the property market crash, says that she is 'surprised as the crash has not really hit us here'...

don't be daft - the estate agent-controlled local papers in literally every single town & city in country have been pumping out 'it couldn't happen here' stories since day 1 of the dowturn. literally. and idiots like these desperately want to believe it.

HOLA4423

Even if they got the over-inflated price they need to move down New Zealand, would a family of unhealthy fat slobs get a Visa ? Probably, but I'm sure the NZ government would regret it once the BeachBall family start demolishing even more pies down under and the higher likelihood of being a drain on healthcare resources.

HOLA4424

They're teachers?!?! They're thick as feckin' fukk!

Christ, this country's had it ...

I must admit I toyed with the idea of becoming a teaching a few years ago. Tired of the meaningless commercial grind I thought it might be nice to do something vaguely useful for the last 10 years of my working life. (And a bit of pension too!). I've taught my kids lots of things their teachers seem unable to impart and have done a good job. Lots of people in my commercial life have told me I'm good at explaining things. (I keep going at things from different angles until I find the way to make someone 'see' something - particularly in Maths or IT)

Anyway, I had gained the impression that people with experience in industry could do a fast-trackm side-step into teaching. I, if I say so myself, am easily intelligent enough to be a teacher and I do have good communication skills.

So, I looked into it - and they insist on a degree. Why? I know lots of people (particularly in the last 10 to 15 years) who have good degrees that I would not trust to tie my shoe laces.

And as for that pair of clowns on the BBC show - ye Gods! Is that the sort of people who are teachers these days. Once upon a time they'd have been serving behind a shop counter. How could anyone employ either of them as teachers? They don't seem capable of speaking English properly.

HOLA4425