House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JST

8ft-wide Seaside Cottage For Sale - At £250,000

In todays telegraph:-

ncott08.jpg

A seaside cottage barely 8ft wide that does not even have a bathroom is on the market for £250,000.

The former fisherman's storehouse, a stone's throw from the shingle beach in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, is being advertised as the latest des res for city-dwellers wanting to get away from it all.

"We have received serious interest and, frankly, it is not surprising," said Peter Watson, of Flick and Son, estate agents in the town. "We believe it is the smallest seaside cottage in the country. Basically, it consists of one room downstairs, a small loo under the stairs, and one room upstairs.

"But it would be ideal for someone who comes to the region for weekends, or for the Benjamin Britten music festival.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../08/ixhome.html

Personally, I think this kind of madness is sooo last year, but then what do I know.

:ph34r:

Edited by JST

In todays telegraph:-

ncott08.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../08/ixhome.html

Personally, I think this kind of madness is sooo last year, but then what do I know.

:ph34r:

Hi,

It looks to me as if some enterprising developer bought the beachside men's unrinal hut and converted into a doll's house.

What a bargain! I mean, who wants a house or appartment on the cote d'azur or portofino when you could have this des res!

Now, I just wonder if I have enough room left on my credit cards to slip on the mortgage deposit? Hummm, I'd be a fool to less this little gem slip through my fingers. ;)

The agent goes on to say:-

"When you consider that a three-bedroom semi here would fetch in the region of £400,000, it puts the asking price into perspective."

Well there you have it, a bargain! Probably suitable for a 'picky' first time buyer or the like.

I've seen it on a couple of visits.

It looks smaller in real life.

( Hmm, mentions a toilet, but no bath ... but the sea is very close. )

We holidayed in Wales... the far west... place called Llangranog.

Tiny fisherman's cottage... one up/one down + loo and shower.

Idyllic setting, within 20 yards of the beach in a cove.

I asked if they had thought of selling..

they had..

Price tag ?

£200,000.

I kept a straight face.

They phoned me three months later and tried to make a definite

sale out of it.

I politely refused.

It's still being rented out for holidays.

Memo to self : must get plastic surgery to remove this silly

gullible appearance.

The agent goes on to say:-

Well there you have it, a bargain!  Probably suitable for a 'picky' first time buyer or the like.

"When you consider that a three-bedroom semi here would fetch in the region of £400,000, it puts the asking price into perspective."

Was the EA barking at the moon when they made this quote?

I've no links to prove this, but I strongly remember similar peak market stories last time round. It's a typical indicator of the top of a bubble when apparently insane valuations like this appear.

I also remember stories like this last time around (but can't find a link). I seem to remember these 'insane' prices being reported with glee - just before the house price crash. The stories then changed to those of people handing the keys of their property back to the building society because they couldn't afford the mortgage and couldn't sell the house either - how long until this happens?

anybody who buys this may be able to let it as a holiday home 6 month of the year.

anybody who would consider it at that price has probably got some mental problems and not likely to have the money anyway. its a no worries approach.

the more i see the more i want to leave this dull country.

I must be bored tonight, but thought I'd investigate this story further. It is the silly season after all!

Looked up the estate agent details on a website called prime location

Turn's out the 'house's name is fantasia. It is described as a most remarkable cottage. a house in miniature It gets better:-

The lack of a bath or shower in the cottage has never been a matter of concern for the present owner and visitors who simply made up for this small lack of convenience by a daily dip in the sea although a nod towards modern living was made some time ago when a water closet was introduced in the under stairs cloakroom.

So for £250,000 you get a 'nod towards modern living' toilet and the privilege of bathing in the sea. The ea does concede that "a new owner may want to install a shower in favour of braving a daily dip" Oh and in case you were expecting a plush interior, it includes no additional "fixtures, fittings, furnishings, or effects"

the larger photo really put into perspective how small the place is:-

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-f.../FSAL999000301/

http://www.flickandson.co.uk/

:lol:

FSAL999000301.JPG

EDIT: spelling

Edited by JST

Is this a joke - no really is it? The picture of the house looks like it has been 'paintbrushed on' and it looks like it is in the middle of a car park!! Surley this is a bored EA having a laugh - I hope so - if not the world has gone mad

From another angle. I think the porsche in the car park next to it really finishes it off.

FSal999000301a.jpg

And here are the bathing facillities:-

FSal999000301b.jpg

Guest Bart of Darkness
a most remarkable cottage. a house in miniature

Shame the price doesn't reflect this diminished size.

Madness, utter madness!

During the 80's peak there were similar stories and I recall beach huts going for the budget of a small country. So it pleases me to see such items again. It means the crash is definitely on target.

It means very little. It is not evidence of madness or bubbles. It is evidence of a society where some people have so much money that luxury items are priced with no relationship to their worth.

Is perfume 'worth' £1000 an ounce - is a certain sort of watch 'worth' £10000 etc. For some members of society 250k is small change.

This has little to do with the property market in general.

Posted yesterday in another thread lots of examples of new-build flats near me still half-empty. Went to a friend's house last night to feed her cats - haven't been round for a while - the little block of new/build flats (6 x 1 bed flats - £189k) still only have one car outside - a VW Beetle. I'd love to know what the owner thinks - 'H'mmm, how come I seem to be only one who has bought one of these .... what did other people notice that I didn't? ..... am I a mug? ..... did I pay too much?

They must have been finished for 4 months now.

This is the reality of the property market - in East Berkshire.

It means very little. It is not evidence of madness or bubbles. It is evidence of a society where some people have so much money that luxury items are priced with no relationship to their worth.

Is perfume 'worth' £1000 an ounce - is a certain sort of watch 'worth' £10000 etc. For some members of society 250k is small change.

This has little to do with the property market in general.

I can sort of see where you are going with that point but if 250,000 is small change for a person, I am pretty sure that a doll's house converted from a former men's toilette facilities, in the middle of a car park, will not be a desirable proposition.

You also have to ask exactly what we mean by a wealty economy. Alot of the slow growth economies on the other side of the channel have been saying for a longtime the British GDP wealth engine has been a mirage built on Public borrowing, credit cards and mortgage loaning. In a way, I CAN see how some of those beach chalets with few facilities on National Trust Land on the Dorest coast were reaching 50,000 or 70,000 a year ago to someone who has 250000 as small change. They were in stunning, secluded, protected and peaceful locations. If the Doll's house was in those areas, then maybe, for the privacy and exclusivity of the location.

I do agree with some of the earlier points. This is not a luxury item. It is exactly the insanities we saw in the last crashes. Exactly the same, we never seem to learn because when I looked at that, I just sighed and thought 'here we are again'.

On a lighter point, I really think the Porche in the picture heightens the comic effect. Pure genius!