House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delite1

Guardian - I Never Thought I'd

What a masterpiece! A few more of these in the mainstream press and we should start seeing sentiment turn. I think I'll be sending Ashley an email congratulating him on his superb article.

That's more like it. It's only taken a few months before some mainstream media have started presenting a sensible view!

Excellent Article, and from the Guardian!

"Let's be clear about this. House prices in Britain were massively overvalued, by as much as 50% last summer when they finally stopped rising."

"The resultant increase in (largely illusory) wealth has been bigger than the dotcom bubble."

"But anyway you look at it, it is clear the correction has only just begun."

Bet you all a pound to a penny that our favorite moron 'TimeToPretendImASwedishLandlord' chooses to cluctch at this piece:-

"Rents, meanwhile, are likely to rise as house prices move sideways or downwards, pushing up rental yields from their current lows."

by claiming he is putting up his rents, rents are rising, tenants are begging him for s@x etc.

What it actually means is that yes, yields will rise because prices are falling

Fab article.

A Brilliant article, I like the bit at the end which says:

It is, of course, possible that things really are "different this time", as the housing market optimists like to say. But all bubbles in the past have burst, and this one looks no different.

How right he is...this bubble is NO DIFFERENT from the last few, other than it being an even bigger bubble in history!

I think we should personally right to this guy, applauding him for a brilliant article.

Bet you all a pound to a penny that our favorite moron 'TimeToPretendImASwedishLandlord' chooses to cluctch at this piece:-

"Rents, meanwhile, are likely to rise as house prices move sideways or downwards, pushing up rental yields from their current lows."

by claiming he is putting up his rents, rents are rising, tenants are begging him for s@x etc.

What it actually means is that yes, yields will rise because prices are falling

Fab article.

I think we should concentrate on these words:

"Rents, meanwhile, are likely to rise"

That's nominal rents cowboy. It puts real money in my pocket, not to mention the wonderful effect of drastically lower IR's as this story asks for.

It puts real money in my pocket

Big fat deal. Even if you do manage to increase rents a few percent, it won't even begin to compensate for the tens of thousands of pounds you'll be losing every month as the value of your properties goes down.

Why would any sane person hold on to rental properties in a crash?

Edited by MarkG

And the correction now seems to have started in Britain, Australia and the Netherlands. Prices are still steaming away in France and the US and many other countries, but the warning signs are flashing. Prices in Sydney are down 16% in two years, according to international comparisons done by the Economist. Why shouldn't that happen in London, where prices are already down 3-5% on some measures?

Because yields in Sydney are 2-4% and in London 5-7%.

Big fat deal. Even if you do manage to increase rents a few percent, it won't even begin to compensate for the tens of thousands of pounds you'll be losing every month as the value of your properties goes down.

Why would any sane person hold on to rental properties in a crash?

I committed myself to housing years ago. All I care about now is that I can squeeze more & more out of it.

:D

what a lovely prime example of landlordly scumbology you are, Aussie roobanger.

And by the way, we have spotted you on other forums admitting that you aren't looking for more property right now because the "£500 you can squeeze in profit is destroyed by the £2000pcm loss the property makes"...

If you'd like me to post the link I will.

Shyster.

I committed myself to housing years ago. All I care about now is that I can squeeze more & more out of it.

:D

Hi,

But your counter arguments for a continued housing boom have been so compelling recently. Why don't you forward some of your back log gems to Ashley Seagar so that he can better understand our new economic reality of ever spiraling prices?

Although ......... if there are the big big price falls we have seen in other countries, maybe buyers will come back to the market. I wonder how that will affect rent yields then if less people are renting. OK, it may be a few years from now until that day, the price correction could be so large it is likely not to happen in one big chunk, but it makes you think.

I think your best option may be to bail out now. It is a better option than seeing ever decreasing yields on rental incomes and then at the end of it finding you only have a few pounds leftover when it's all sold up after all that stress and hassle. Sell now and you'll probably do much better. Have you seen share prices rarley? If you invest in the right sector, there are some really nice returns. Far better returns than harrasing a few broke students in bedsits for a paultry Rigsby rental income.

Well, we did try to tell you, you didn't listen. Bail out now and be smart, put the cash away and take a bit of time out to enjoy life a bit. Maybe go travelling, learn to paint, learn a language, take up sailing. Something like that.

Take care,

Boomer

I think your best option may be to bail out now.

Yes that's what they said last year and the yeare before that etc etc.

Well, we did try to tell you, you didn't listen. Bail out now and be smart, put the cash away and take a bit of time out to enjoy life a bit. Maybe go travelling, learn to paint, learn a language, take up sailing.  Something like that.

Take care,

Boomer

Click here. Lucky I have bigger balls than them and didn't listen, what kind of holiday would I have had, watching HP's go up? And CIUW, I believe the recently published LR figures will show here that I am STILL RIGHT.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

what a lovely prime example of landlordly scumbology you are, Aussie roobanger.

And by the way, we have spotted you on other forums admitting that you aren't looking for more property right now because the "£500 you can squeeze in profit is destroyed by the £2000pcm loss the property makes"...

If you'd like me to post the link I will.

Shyster.

Been going through my garbage again? You celebrity chasers are nothing but peasant scum.

I'd like you to link it please. I vaguely remember the wording, but I also believe that you've altered it for the above post.

Link it & we shall see.

"I committed myself to housing years ago. All I care about now is that I can squeeze more & more out of it"

Why on earth are you wasting your time on here then?

I have property paid up that I rent out also so I come on here as I don,t believe the current market is sustainable and I also welcolme a large correction, this site gives me a lot of well researched knowledge generally not printed by the popular media which assists me for current & future thought.

Whats your motive apart from taking up a more bullish stance?

"I committed myself to housing years ago. All I care about now is that I can squeeze more & more out of it"

Why on earth are you wasting your time on here then?

I have property paid up that I rent out also so I come on here as I don,t believe the current market is sustainable and I also welcolme a large correction, this site gives me a lot of well researched knowledge generally not printed by the popular media which assists me for current & future thought.

Whats your motive apart from taking up a more bullish stance?

I believe you answered your own question there.

Who says furthering your knowledge is a waste of time anyway?

And the correction now seems to have started in Britain, Australia and the Netherlands. Prices are still steaming away in France and the US and many other countries, but the warning signs are flashing. Prices in Sydney are down 16% in two years, according to international comparisons done by the Economist. Why shouldn't that happen in London, where prices are already down 3-5% on some measures?

Because yields in Sydney are 2-4% and in London 5-7%.

A misleading figure: you have to look at after tax yield. You can negatively gear in Australia.

Also, don't forget that the Ecnomist is also a VI... they're looking for a story and have been trumpetting a crash for two to three years.

Also, don't forget that the Ecnomist is also a VI... they're looking for a story and have been trumpetting a crash for two to three years.

Do you have any relevant quotes to back up this statement? The Economist does not strike me as a journal which struggles to find stories.

JY