House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fancypants

The Trigger

those few remaining tormented souls who insist that there are no shocks coming to derail the housing market (of course, being a shock you wouldn't see it coming!) are curious to know what would act as the trigger for an HPC. Well, I reckon it's quite simple, and it is becoming increasingly clear - as one can see from today's blog...

Bad debt. Plain and simple. That is what will pick the first knot in the tangled ball of string that is our "potemkin" economy. Bad debt - credit crunch - industrial retrenchment - default, unemployment, bankruptcies... and so it goes

those few remaining tormented souls who insist that there are no shocks coming to derail the housing market (of course, being a shock you wouldn't see it coming!) are curious to know what would act as the trigger for an HPC. Well, I reckon it's quite simple, and it is becoming increasingly clear - as one can see from today's blog...

Bad debt. Plain and simple. That is what will pick the first knot in the tangled ball of string that is our "potemkin" economy. Bad debt - credit crunch - industrial retrenchment - default, unemployment, bankruptcies... and so it goes

Stuff that, the real trigger is gonna be the shock of the Boks victory over the All Blacks today!!! VIVA THE BOKKE!!! (sorry, had a few ales...)

mmmm I have to say that it's a valid point (bad debt being the trigger). I went to a local retail park today in Oldham and it wasn't very busy. This on a saturday afternoon a prime shopping day....Doesn't look like an interest rate cut has made any difference to shopper confidence....at least not yet. It led me to wonder if there will be a further cut before xmas to boost the retail sector. Question is, how long can they continue to cut rates here when interest rates in the U.S. and oil prices are rising?

mmmm I have to say that it's a valid point (bad debt being the trigger).  I went to a local retail park today in Oldham and it wasn't very busy.  This on a saturday afternoon a prime shopping day....Doesn't look like an interest rate cut has made any difference to shopper confidence....at least  not yet.  It led me to wonder if there will be a further cut before xmas to boost the retail sector.  Question is, how long can they continue to cut rates here when interest rates in the U.S. and oil prices are rising?

cutting rates is pissing into the wind... we'll all just end up with wet trousers which will end up smelling if they are allowed to dry

mmmm I have to say that it's a valid point (bad debt being the trigger).  I went to a local retail park today in Oldham and it wasn't very busy.  This on a saturday afternoon a prime shopping day....Doesn't look like an interest rate cut has made any difference to shopper confidence....at least  not yet.  It led me to wonder if there will be a further cut before xmas to boost the retail sector.  Question is, how long can they continue to cut rates here when interest rates in the U.S. and oil prices are rising?

Lets all keep in mind that IR's have nothing to do with Credit card rates and loans.

Its possible that people can continue to MEW and splash that cash round the shops but first and foremost i think most will consider getting there unsecured debt under control.

Only problem is.. it takes a while to consolidate and pay off your unsecured debt, in that time there will be subdued spending in the highstreets.

All IMHO of course.

EDITED:

Not directed at you firebug, was just a post for me to quote and make my point :D

Edited by theChuz

Lets all keep in mind that IR's have nothing to do with Credit card rates and loans.
Good point, i cant see the credit card companies cutting the 15% + interest rates on their cards in a hurry or at all, so people who have lots of credit card debt aint going to be paying less interest, ah well never mind just get another 0% deal and transfer the balance..... if you can get a 0% deal that is :blink:

Stuff that, the real trigger is gonna be the shock of the Boks victory over the All Blacks today!!!  VIVA THE BOKKE!!! (sorry, had a few ales...)

Too right. Congrats.

Highhly signifcant victory. Means the All Blacks ain't invincible and anything can happen at the next world cup perhaps.

Me also had a few ales.

Comme on England! 3 more wickets!

Too right. Congrats.

Highhly signifcant victory. Means the All Blacks ain't invincible and anything can happen at the next world cup perhaps.

Me also had a few ales.

Comme on England! 3 more wickets!

I would join you with a few ales but like every other lazy , picky FTB'r i have to get up at 4am on sunday morning for work!

At last! I had given up on this forum - I thought nobody had noticed the cricket today.

Fantastic test match - absolutely enthralling. Should knock the last couple over in the morning. About time we gave the Aussies a game.

Listening to comments from Langer recently and Warne tonight was interesting - they know damn well they have a proper challenge on their hands.

Flintoff though - Fcking awesome.

Oops, not meant to swear anymore.

Mind you when Brett Lee twice sent 90 mph deliveries down to Freddy and he hit them into the stands I'll bet he swore. :lol::lol::lol:

Oops, not meant to swear anymore.

Mind you when Brett Lee twice sent 90 mph deliveries down to Freddy and he hit them into the stands I'll bet he swore.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

D'you know, I reckon his shoulder injury actually helped? It slowed him down long enough to get his eye in. And then ....

Was worried he might not be able to bowl properly though :P

Vaughan, however ... :ph34r:

Agree about Vaughan. It's the usual story - get a class batsman, make him captain then watch his batting go to pot...

The England side looks better now than it has done for years. I think Pietersen and Flintoff coming in lower down provide the power to really take the game away from the opposition late on. Much like the Aussies have done for years with Gilchrist.

And Harmison, Hoggard and Flintoff is a fair bowling line up too.

(probably should stop now - this thread has gone waaaaay off topic :D )

im pretty hacked off

bought 2 tickets for tomorrow on ebay for £155 and wont get more than £5 worth of action.

and i have to drive 2 hours to get to the ground.

every silver lining has a cloud!!

the don

im pretty hacked off

bought 2 tickets for tomorrow on ebay for £155  and wont get more than  £5 worth of action.

and i have to drive 2 hours to get to the ground.

every silver lining has a cloud!!

the don

i'd be upset about this thread getting hijacked by cricket if I hadn't been tempted to do the same when I started it!

anyway mate, you can't put a price on an England victory (fingers x'd)... yeah it might not last long but you'll get to see the very best bit!

(still, not as good as back in the old days of 5day tests when you could skive off work on a Monday to go to Headingley and get in for nowt, or a fiver at most... to watch an hour or so of the denoument)

i'd be upset about this thread getting hijacked by cricket if I hadn't been tempted to do the same when I started it!

So back to the thread!

I can confirm from my experience there is a bit of a credit squeeze going on

I'm currently using about 10 credit cards to fund my business expansion (already maxxed out my bank business overdraft)

This time last years I was getting circa 10k credit limits for starters, last month got a couple of new ones - limit closer to 3K.Some of this can be attributed to my accumaltive debt, pulling down my rating - but that would not IMO drop it down by 70% as my credit rating is still perfect (never missed a payment etc,)

Likewise the 0% are getting harder to find

The interest would be horrendous, except it is more than being covered by the extra profit generated by the extra capex, the credit cards afford me

However, I have a few friends that are in the same position, except they have gone and spent the money and are now in deep trouble

Couple have had no choice but to usethe new bankruptcy laws to get out of thei mess

sign of things to come?