House Price Crash Forum
OLDFTB

Quick, Send Them Some Karma

Yes it's our old friends on the Aussie Expatriates website again. (Well..they live in hope anyway!). Here are some quotes:

"It's a buyers market for sure, we've told the agent not to send people round unless they can offer around the asking price (we've allready dropped it 20grand) like you we need every penny, but people think they can get your house for 25,45 grand less than what its up for, the cheek of some people the Doctor's second offer was 18grand under the asking price and thats after we reduced it, he wanted all my curtains light fitting and even had the cheek to ask for the sofa's, im not going to give it away, the thought of been hear at xmas is not good, but at the same time im not going to give it away only to end up worse off in OZ."

"Can so identify with this. we have had 30 viewings with the 31st coming around today and no offers. I think that 90% of them were either not in a position to buy or just weren't interested in buying. We have dropped the price of our property by £20K and now have a price that states 'offers in excess of' and we are not dropping below that bottom price and have informed the agents as such. We are seriously thinking about taking it off the market, waiting 6 months and then putting it on again. There is no point in just selling it and being so much worse off in Australia."

'waiting 6 months and then putting it on again'!! What, and then have to accept yet another 20k drop in price? W*nkers.

Link: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....t=312449&page=5

We have dropped the price of our property by £20K and now have a price that states 'offers in excess of' and we are not dropping below that bottom price and have informed the agents as such.

I love lines like this - do they think the estate agent is the buyer?

Yes it's our old friends on the Aussie Expatriates website again. (Well..they live in hope anyway!). Here are some quotes:

"I think that 90% of them were either not in a position to buy or just weren't interested in buying. We have dropped the price of our property by £20K and now have a price that states 'offers in excess of' ............."

Link:  http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....t=312449&page=5

Why of course, people just spend all their leisure time and weekends off randomly wandering around properties so they can 'get out for a chat' now again, get some interior design ideas, that kind of thing. Nothing to do with overpricing. Of course they could afford it if they wanted to, they are just moochers looking for free coffee and biscuits. ;)

It reminds me of politicians arguing that we need to tax fuel more highly to get people out of their cars and clear the road of traffic jams.

Because people love sitting in traffic jams and every day they jump in their cars, drive into the city and sit in a car for hours on end for no reason whatsoever, they just enjoy it, and need to be stopped from doing it.

Guest muttley

Mrs M and I stopped viewing houses about 12 months ago.The reason?

Too many time wasters.

...we've got the same problem cause we are over the 250k stamp duty mark, the buyer would have to pay the 3% stamp duty charge and the agent says that put's buyers off, but what can you do only give the ruddy thing away.

Another example of Stamp Duty Threshold Chasm Effect:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=13099

We"ll forget about the house until such a time in the future when the housing market picks up. Surely this has got to be a better option than letting all that hard earned cash go down the drain.

Oh dear.

And why should you let all that hard earned cash go down the drain? :huh: I mean, all those months sitting in front of the tele watching the beenie and allsop show, those blisters caused by the remote control, ooooh, that looks nasty :o all those dinner parties spent bragging to aquaintences how your BTL investments went up 26% during the year while you were on the couch stuffing cream buns and guiness down your throat. :unsure: It could very well be compared to that film Moses when Charlton Heston was building pyramids for the Egyptians. :(

Anyway, I am sure it is just a passing fad, people are just a little disorientated at the moment because the premiership football isn't playing at the moment. Come the autumn, when they kick off again for another season, people will return to normaility and get off their lazy, flabby derrieres on a sunday morning to pick some leaves off the money tree in the garden and kick start things again. ;)

Don

Banned

Holly sh1t! They banned this guy after 7367 posts for talking too much about house prices crashing. He was about the most intelectual one on the forum too.

Poor old Ex-Pats. They're being Gazundered now :lol::lol::lol:

We are in Bristol too. We had an offer £30.000!!! below asking price..we told them to buggar off! but then thought well if they are proceedable maybe we should weigh up the pro's and con's of accepting a low offer. So we did a U-turn and accepted it..with that they said fine but only if we dropped another £10,000 more!! We did draw the line there but would seriously consider "sensible" offers albeit £20,000 below asking price.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....29&page=3&pp=15

I do hope this guy never boasted about how much his house was 'worth' at dinner parties. If he did he could be about to receive more Karma than he bargained for. ;)

It is very disturbing to see that people can stoop so low as to make humerous capital from a familys misery.

Is probably all that is wrong with this country and much of the reason as to why they wish to leave.

I believe in what goes round comes round and it may that your contempt of decent working families is what leaves you sitting in a static and non progessional stage in your life.

I'm afraid that maybe, just maybe you too might take the courage to make a commitment to society, get married and start a family living in your own home and should you fall on hard times hopefully people will not be so damming of your circumstances as you have been to others in the past.

Envy is a persons greatest enemy and he who harbours it suffers the most.

It is very disturbing to see that people can stoop so low as to make humerous capital from a familys misery.

Is probably all that is wrong with this country and much of the reason as to why they wish to leave.

I believe in what goes round comes round and it may that your contempt of decent working families is what leaves you sitting in a static and non progessional stage in your life.

I'm afraid that maybe, just maybe you too might take the courage to make a commitment to society, get married and start a family living in your own home and should you fall on hard times hopefully people will not be so damming of your circumstances as you have been to others in the past.

You have a point, sir.

This sort of attack does little to assist in changing sentiment. Potential bears will log on and think we is a bunch of delinquents . Hardly persuasive.

At least we ain't no longer inciting people to kill prominemt bulls like wotshisname ( can't remember! Allsop's sidekick). That has to be a good thing.

Phil Spencer. Now I remember. Was n't there a contract taken out on him by this forum. Or was it just general incitement to kill.Can't remember.

Come on England. Just 3 wickets.

Whilst I agree picking on one individual is a little unfair, one of the failings these individuals are showing is that terrible British malaise of being unwilling to accept property prices might come down, and to believe that haggling/negotiating price on a deal or contract is somehow rude.

If these people want to get away from Britain perhaps they should behave in a slightly less "British" way and negotiate rather than leaving their rather snobbish noses pointing firmly in the air, brushing away such terribly common offers?

I think it is perfecty valid to put forward a point of view, and to debate it. Those who subscribe and enter the debate as I do look forward to the criticism, I criticise myself constantly that is the process of enlightenment and that is how we all move forward. People criticise me and I learn from it.

The expats website is full of decent people, many are too fluffy and pinky for me but nonetheless they are decent people. They help one another and have a concern for each others well being.

In my view these are admirable qualities and surely these are the qualities we are trying to return to. Sure they want the best price for their house, if they are moving to Sydney they would be very lucky to exchange a house in London for a two bed unit on the northern beaches.

You make lots of assumptions. First that this person is part of a family. We don't know anything about them male? female? nice hard working person? annoying lazy git? Who knows?

You're damn right, what goes around comes around, and it's coming around about now for those who thought they could cash in on this pyramid scheme and swan off to a life of leasure at someone elses expense.

I have no contempt for 'hard working families' In fact it is hard working people who have lost out from this boom, at the expense of those who thought they were entitled to make money by doing nothing but sitting on their fat behinds rather than earning their crust like everyone else has to.

Luckily my life isn't static and non-progressional, how's yours? And how do you know I'm not married? More assumptions.

As an employer, if at some point I fall upon hard times I will not be the only one who suffers, equally if I do well others will share in my sucess. I'm a firm believer that one should take responsibility for their own actions and decisions. IMO what 'wrong with this country' is that people think that they are 'owed' something for nothing.

So there you go!

I think it's more a commentary on the state of the market being so clearly played out so graphically.

Anyway, what misery?

I didn't read all the details, but say someone with a house they paid say 200 for isn't now worth the 350k they want, but "only" 250k... where is the misery?

I think it's more a commentary on the state of the market being so clearly played out so graphically.

Anyway, what misery?

I didn't read all the details, but say someone with a house they paid say 200 for isn't now worth the 350k they want, but "only" 250k... where is the misery?

Indeed, I conceed that it's not very nice to laugh at other people's misfortune. But it's highly likely that even after being gazunderered this person will probably still be very fortunate, and be able to start a new life abroad. Unlike many young people who have overstreached themselves in this boom. They will be the real losers and I don't think many here will be laughing at them.

I think it is perfecty valid to put forward a point of view, and to debate it. Those who subscribe and enter the debate as I do look forward to the criticism, I criticise myself constantly that is the process of enlightenment and that is how we all move forward. People criticise me and I learn from it.

The expats website is full of decent people, many are too fluffy and pinky for me but nonetheless they are decent people. They help one another and have a concern for each others well being.

In my view these are admirable qualities and surely these are the qualities we are trying to return to. Sure they want the best price for their house, if they are moving to Sydney they would be very lucky to exchange a house in London for a two bed unit on the northern beaches.

I'm confused. You seem to be making an issue out of something that isn't there.

Firstly, to say any one group/website is "full of good people" is naive at best. In my experience most groups and walks of life are predominantly good people, but there is almost always a subgroup of nutters/loonies/halfwits wherever you go. To try and put a fairly arbitrary group of people on some kind of pedestal is odd at best.

Secondly, I don't think anyone is having a go at the group, or what they are trying to do. They happen to be a rich source of anecdotal evidence about the housing market, since selling property is a big part of emigrating. So it is hardly surprising that they generate interest from this site.

As I pointed out above, what I perceive as being mocked here is a very British snobbish attitude to the housing market, not the individuals or what they are trying to do. It seems sad the only way you can turn this around is to try to imply it was somehow an insult to these "paragons of virtue".

Edited by Rapid Descent

apologies if this offends anyone but a couple of you have gone soft in this thread

we're not talking about people who have worked tirelessly and done without, we are talking about a handful of people who happen to have bought a property at the right time and who are so arrogant that they expect other 'hard working families', maybe just like us, to give them a massive handout so they can jet off into the sun and live the life of riley at our expense

sorry but i have no sympathy for them at all - their houses are worth exactly what they are offered for them and not a penny more - if they think they would be giving them away at £20k less than asking price then god knows what the person who sold it to them for half the price must have done - gift-wrapped the booming thing????

harden up, the lot of you!!

Why are they cashing in?.

They are trying to get the market price for something they bought.

You would do the same if you were in their position.

Dont be fooled constantly by the idea that everyone who bought a house is on some kind of windfall. During the last recession people scrimped and scraped to get by. Failed Marriages, Kids Split up, all casualties of what was a recession. Many of these people have got it back together now, they worked long and hard and returned to the land of the living. It was not easy for them, they didnt have it handed on a plate as many here would suggest.

Buying a house in 2000 was as hard for a FTB'er as it was in 2004 and remains so today.

You will have to take my word for it they are decent people, the forum goes on for miles and unless you track their initial application for migration through to the final day of acceptance then I suppose they can come across as just posters.

I do admire them, taking your family off to the other side of the world without knowing what you are going to is no mean feat. Schools, Location, Work, Family, Friends are all things that will bring in Anxiety and worry.

I am sending them some Karma to make up for it. :)

I think laurejon is in bad need of some Karma!

They are trying to get the market price for something they bought.

no, they are refusing to accept the market price i.e. what someone is prepared to pay - the reason i don't sympathise is that they then accuse these offers of being derisory when i know from reading the threads on that site that at least several of them will be making £100k+ profits for doing nothing in a couple of years - not only that but they are risking their future because of their greed

if i were into all this 'karma' sh*te I would send them -ve by the bag load, at least until they wise up and stop being so GREEDY

Buying a house in 2000 was as hard for a FTB'er as it was in 2004 and remains so today.

Not wanting to start a flame war, but I'd rethink that comment. I'm fairly certain that the average salary for FTBers hasn't increased 80-100 percent in the last 4 years in the way that property asking prices have in the area I live in.

Buying a place in 2000 would have been hard for most, impossible for me. Now it's even worse.

I would say that on the whole many are realistic.

Reading the threads many have dropped 20K to secure a buyer and many have regretted not taking the first offer.

As for making money, well they will need every penny they can get because property is on a par with the UK in most parts of Australia in terms of price. Many are realising the drop they take here can be offset by a lower offer in the failing Australian Property Market.