House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

Harder And Faster?

I meant the inevitable crash, what did you think I meant? ;)

Will the use of the internet mean that the inevitable crash will happen harder and faster than previous times? Also the advent of dedicated 24hour news channels?

Instead of being a gradual trickle that builds up pace will it be a sharper crash this time round?

I meant the inevitable crash, what did you think I meant?  ;)

Will the use of the internet mean that the inevitable crash will happen harder and faster than previous times? Also the advent of dedicated 24hour news channels?

Instead of being a gradual trickle that builds up pace will it be a sharper crash this time round?

I have never clicked on a topic so fast!! :lol:

I am not sure. Sentiment is the key, but most people just do not want to see it. I think the good old fashioned newspaper packs more punch than every internet forum put together. Places like this may convert the curious but most people are not interested. Why else would they fall for short term interest rates etc.

I think it all depends how "quickand hard" the tabloids do their thing. Look at the circulation of the sun, and the size of their headlines. Stats dont matter JUST REALLY BIG LETTERS.

Prices will always be sticky to a certain extent, sellers just dont want to part with their pretend profits.

By the time i had clicked on the thread i had a list of inuendo already lined up, i see youve got that slyly cover though :lol:

I think your probably right, the internet in my mind will speed things up, although the VI has access to publishing info on the internet sometime the facts are the facts and they cant be spun i.e land registry absolute figures.

People will be able to track and see for themselves whats happening, i dont think it will drop any further than it would of without the internet though, the bottom is the bottom.

The only counter argument i have with myself - which i cant figure for sure is, last time things crashed everyone had access to the same information, this time people have access to the same information. So my own counter argument would be that nothing has changed in the field of information availiable relative to those who would use it.

On the whole though, i think yes it will speed things up.

Smut! Works every time pmsl.

Dr Bubb, we do currently rent through hubbys job, so very cheap. The downside is that hubbys job is also why we haven't bought yet and now can't really afford to either. :(

Thus, it is not inconceivable that we will get stuck on some sort of plateau

for a few years

If we get an oil shock in the meantime (which you seem to indicate is likely from your other postings) then we will see a 1989-style crash. There can be surely no doubt about that.

Personally, I am still looking for some sort of more definite economic trigger which will speed up this crash to a 1989-style level.

But whether it happens slow or fast, there's no financial advantage in buying yet. I'm going to periodically revisit the Rent vs. Buying calculator.

Well,

It is was coming "harder and faster" than last time,

we would have seen a bigger drop already.  This downturn has been slower

to emerge than last time.  I attribute the slower speed to:

+ The last peak, in 1988-89, was a quick blip up, and back down due to a tax

change,

+ The demographics for property investing remain positive, and will continue to

be so for another 2-5 years. 

Thus, it is not inconceivable that we will get stuck on some sort of plateau

for a few years, and then the BIG SLIDE would come after 2008-2009.

I dont expect this, but to repeat... IT IS NOT INCONCEIVABLE

What to do?

Well, first, ask yourself: Is it cheaper to RENT where you are?

In my case, it is much cheaper.  So I will happily rent, even if property prices

stay on the plateau while they await the demography-related slide

I have to say that I believe that is the first concession I've seen you post on the reality of the situation we're in.

Congratulations on your first step to being converted DrB. ;)

I have to say that I believe that is the first concession I've seen you post on the reality of the situation we're in.

Congratulations on your first step to being converted DrB.  ;)

Bit odd you consider that to be the first step to conversion..

The difference on here between the bears and the bulls is that the bears generally accept that there is a possibility of an alternate ending, no matter how remote that possibility they tend to accept it exists. Mainly due to the fact that alot can happen and no one can predict the future.

Where as the bullish comments state so profusley that there is no possibility of a crash what so ever.

Looks like it is gaining momentum at the moment, increasingly so in the last few weeks.

God bells the internet and all who sail in her. ;)

As a good Catholic boy I didn't imagine you might be meaning anything other than house prices. Honest!

Couldn't BTL investors see the situation as an opportunity to dominate the market - buying up loads of houses now that loads of FTBs are not buying, maintaining price levels, or even increasing them, and then pushing rents up and up until yields are reasonable.

????

Edited by Vivaldo

As a good catholic boy I didn't imagine you might be meaning anything other than house prices. Honest!

Couldn't BTL investors see the situation as an opportunity to dominate the market - buying up loads of houses, maintaining price levels, or even increasing them, and then pushing rents up and up until yields are reasonable.

????

Surely the majority are already stretched to the limit and teetering on the brink ... only the 'professional/experienced' BTLers will weather this one IMO.