Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Things Your Parents Warned You Of


monty1080

Recommended Posts

My dad told me turning a light switch on and off repeatedly i.e 'lets all have a disco' would give me an electric shock. Not until the age of 16 did I tentatively do the light switch disco thing, finding out to my horror that in fact, my fathers dire warning was utter B0II0cks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Making a noise, caused by a door, clattering cutlery, or a plate meant that that item was being damaged.

Always take the best apple (bs, The Best of anything often costs more/takes too long and ends up not being worth it, being second at something and improving second to first is often easier and more productive)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That snot was my brain coming out of my head. I sniffed it back up rather than blowing it out after that.

Yuck!

If the wind changes, you'll stay like that!

The one that terrified me was, ' I'll have your guts for garters'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest AuntJess

Trying hard at school. Think I would have been better quitting at 16 and loading up with Self cert loans.

To be fair, most of my parents advice is stuff like 'if i were your age id get out of this stinking dump of a country'

Yeah, me too. I had similar. I was advised to work hard and get qualifications then I could get a good job which would lead to good pay and a good standard of living.

Somewhere in the middle there the 'chain' of supposition snapped. I found a good few who lolled around at school, being in a position to buy and sell me, later on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest AuntJess

Eating too much sugar gives you worms.

Sitting on cold, hard surfaces gives you piles.

Go cross-eyed and you will "stay like it".

I remember those!tongue.gif

The sugar thing is partly true. Threadworms thrive on sweet stuff. It helps to eat vinigary or spicy type food if you get them. They don't like it.cool.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mum used to tell me that writing on my hands would give me ink posioning (to save her having to scrub our hands of biro ink).

I believed in ink poisoning until I was about 14.

I never thought to enquire if it was true, I just sort of accepted than ink seeping into my bloodstream = not good.

My mother's repeated admonitions of "don't be selfish/greedy/pushy; share; make allowances for others" - was not the best advice in the real world, it turns out. I'm still (sometimes) amazed at how the pushy types who lack any self-awareness or doubt apparently do so well. For a long time I thought they would be found out to be lacking - but no! it's what our economy demands: mindless pushiness. Mental.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dad told me turning a light switch on and off repeatedly i.e 'lets all have a disco' would give me an electric shock. Not until the age of 16 did I tentatively do the light switch disco thing, finding out to my horror that in fact, my fathers dire warning was utter B0II0cks.

Paliyng wiht yuor wilyl wolud maje you gp bilnd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.