House Price Crash Forum

Any Gunnislake Hpcers Online?

timebandit

HOLA441

A EA from Gunnislake area phoned today with the information that our offer on a property unseen would be acceptable if we are able to proceed.

Due to the weather we are unable to view this week but will pop down next week (six hour round trip), happy with the property valuation and the location meets our needs, our concerns having never visted.

What Gunnislake like for community spirit, shops, chip shops and would you call Gunnislake a desirable location.

Edited by timebandit

HOLA442

A EA from Gunnislake area phoned today with the information that our offer on a property unseen would be acceptable if we are able to proceed.

Due to the weather we are unable to view this week but will pop down next week (six hour round trip), happy with the property valuation and the location meets our needs, our concerns having never visted.

What Gunnislake like for community spirit, shops, chip shops and would you call Gunnislake a desirable location.

Oh, and check there isn't an old mine under the garden or even the house. Which is tricky to do as there are no records! :P

Edited by gleeful_expat

HOLA443

I know Gunnislake quite well, it is quite a picturesque place, parking can be a nightmare if u r looking at terraces....Tavistock would probably be the nearest place to get your fish& chips (5miles away). The town is very small and does get quite busy traffic wise. On the plus side it does have a train station, property prices are at the cheaper end compared to Tavistock, but don't buy blind, Gunnislake is not for everyone...It's a hilly area as well so would keep u fit!

HOLA444

Thanks for the replies, we would not buy blind also the feel of the village needs to be right.

Are there many shops like butchers, hardware /convenience stores and do people just commute to the larger towns?

You also hit my concerns with the you tube link, and that's me growing up in small village in Wales ;)

Going back to my home-town I find the council estate depressing from my rose tinted memories of childhood, with the asbo families druggies and the general rundown environment . I would hate to retire to somewhere similar.

HOLA445

Thanks for the replies, we would not buy blind also the feel of the village needs to be right.

Are there many shops like butchers, hardware /convenience stores and do people just commute to the larger towns?

You also hit my concerns with the you tube link, and that's me growing up in small village in Wales ;)

Going back to my home-town I find the council estate depressing from my rose tinted memories of childhood, with the asbo families druggies and the general rundown environment . I would hate to retire to somewhere similar.

I was joking - lived in the area about 15 years ago and it may have changed quite a lot. Then again it may not!

At that time, Tavistock was your best bet. Again, that might have changed.

HOLA446

I don't really understand the question - are you [OP] saying that you've made an offer on a house without having seen the property itself, never mind the village that it's in? Sounds a bit odd if so??

I've only been there a couple of times (meaning I don't know it well compared to, say, Plymouth or Tavistock) but am not a massive fan, TBH. It's the kind of place where the bus route goes through an incredibly narrow street and the bus driver has to stop the bus, get out, and knock on the doors of feckless daytime TV watchers to try and persuade them to move their incorrectly parked cars so that the bus can pass.

Facilities in the village aren't quite non-existent but certainly not brilliant. Like most people who live round there I suspect you'd spend an awful lot of time in your car getting from place to place.

IIRC there isn't a big council estate there. Social housing seems to be mixed in with private owner-occupier dwellings.

Edited by the flying pig

HOLA447

Thank you flying pig for the feedback transport, parking and facilities are a concern for us and views appreciated.

We contacted various agents within our selected area not Gunnislake. All the suitable properties we viewed to date our feedback been "like the property but we are looking for 25% reduction on our valuation".

One agent contacted us, with a suitable property with the reduction (less than what the owners paid and a lot less than other similar properties) we require but not the location, would we be interested in viewing. To save us a six hour round trip after this cold spell, we hoping to get opinions here.

HOLA448

Thank you flying pig for the feedback transport, parking and facilities are a concern for us and views appreciated.

We contacted various agents within our selected area not Gunnislake. All the suitable properties we viewed to date our feedback been "like the property but we are looking for 25% reduction on our valuation".

One agent contacted us, with a suitable property with the reduction (less than what the owners paid and a lot less than other similar properties) we require but not the location, would we be interested in viewing. To save us a six hour round trip after this cold spell, we hoping to get opinions here.

ok. by the way i've thought about it and my previous post was actually wrong - i was describing 'Bere Alston' rather than gunnislake. i'm not sure why i confused the two.

i have been to gunnislake quite a few times. it's a small place, too small really to be a proper standalone community... the sort of place that used to have a bank but now doesn't, the post office is probably on borrowed time if it hasn't shut already... there's a shop or two [about literally this many] including a general cnovenience type store. it has at least two or three pubs. one of them i've been to quite a lot of times, it's more of a restaurant really but has quite a nice, cosy little public bar at the front. they used to have traditional scrumpy in barrels but i think they've stopped doing it now. i think there's at least one tea shop where you can get the old clotted cream tea or whatever it is.

to get to tavistock you absolutely have to drive, and it's a short drive, maybe 10-15 minutes, buses virtually non-existent though. the trains to plymouth aren't bad, probably better than driving, the latter being compromised by having to cross the river.

all in all i'd say it was pretty ok as a cheaper, quieter, nearby alternative to tavistock, but it would really depend on what type of person you are...

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Things to watch out for:

- Some houses front right onto the main road. That's not nice at all.

- Riverside cottages prone to flooding. But they're built for it, so not a big disaster when it happens.

- Subsidence from old mine workings could be a major nightmare.

- Some parts are poisoned by arsenic.

As against that:

- A very scenic location, with fantastic views

- Scenic train line to Plymouth

- Decent bus service to Tavistock and Callington (and occasional services going further).

- Four pubs, various shops, an arts centre.

- Friendly natives.

HOLA4410

Has anyone else here had experience of reactions to offers of up to 25% off for property in Devon? Most things I am tempted by are around the £350k price and if I could negotiate 25% off then even this bear might be tempted. I've yet to try but a cut down to £280k ish is going to feel like a hell of a lot to a seller methinks.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Thank you for all the replies with your views on Gunnislake. We found the location exactly as described here, its a pity the property was not to our taste and would require a lot more updating than describe by the estate agent.

Out of idle curiosity, do you have a URL for the des-res in question? Might wander past it sometime.

Edited by porca misèria

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415