House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Complete Loss Of Tv Services

OK , just gone 11.30 and I seem to have lost all TV signal.

The odd thing is that I have both Sky and Terrestrial DTV (BT Vision or my TV).

I know the snow was bad in Hampshire and that is where Sky uplink from, so might explain Sky if everyone else has lost Sky due to snow on their Microwave links, but that shouldn't impact the Digital Terrestrial service as well.

I know the snow was bad in Hampshire and that is where Sky uplink from, so might explain Sky if everyone else has lost Sky due to snow on their Microwave links, but that shouldn't impact the Digital Terrestrial service as well.

I had to knock the snow off the satellite dish this pm. No prob with either sky or via the arerial though since then. That's in Yorks.

Sky all ok here but it is not snowing locally. Not tried DTV.

Not sure if BT deliver your DTV down the phone line but if it is signal the snow is as likely to affect it as it would a sky sat signal.

The old analogue picture just deteriorated in bad weather. The DTV signal has to remain string or the decoder cannot do its work. hence blank screen.

It may not be snowing where you are right now but if there is a heavy fall in line of sight of the transmitter it could spell trouble..

As I understand it the sky uplink in in Isleworth at their big TV centre!! Just behind the Gillette building on the A4 into London.

Snow collects in dishes - fecked.

Hi MT,

Well it hasn't collected in my own dish, and I doubt its collected on the satellite 250 miles up. I can understand that perhaps some of the trees or roof tops that my dish points over might be slightly raised due ti having developed a snow cap, but I don't get why digital terrestrial is also down as that on the Ariel in my loft.

What makes me suspicious is they both went off at the same time - and yes the TV does still have electrical power, and there isn't a sudden snow flurry.

I am seriously wondering whether one of the major uplink sites is down - i am guess that Digital Terrestrial makes use of satellite and microwave links somewhere in the chain - either that or Gordo is about to announce a coup and has ordered a TV black out.

Sky all ok here but it is not snowing locally. Not tried DTV.

Not sure if BT deliver your DTV down the phone line but if it is signal the snow is as likely to affect it as it would a sky sat signal.

The old analogue picture just deteriorated in bad weather. The DTV signal has to remain string or the decoder cannot do its work. hence blank screen.

It may not be snowing where you are right now but if there is a heavy fall in line of sight of the transmitter it could spell trouble..

As I understand it the sky uplink in in Isleworth at their big TV centre!! Just behind the Gillette building on the A4 into London.

Ah yes, I know the Gillette building (Osterley Park), but I thought they also had some uplink sites on the south coast - though funnily enough both those areas have been hit quite badly.

Hi MT,

Well it hasn't collected in my own dish, and I doubt its collected on the satellite 250 miles up.

geostationary orbits are 22000 miles up (much higher than LEO) so it could be snow as it's probably chilly up there

Will this mean house prices go up or down? I am a bit confused about the post. What is your opinion?

I don't wish to alarm you, but this could be a prelude to an alien invasion. Make sure all entry points to the house are secure and lock away any domestic appliances that the enemy could potentially use against you with their unworldly telekinetic powers, items like vacuum cleaners, microwaves ovens, scary toys, cuckoo clocks etc...

We should rename the thread Green Wednesday and mull the consequences of an intergalactic invasion of the Earth and its affect on the housing market. I expect prices to fall sharply hitting a bottom by the end of 2010 due to huge surplus homes flooding the market after the majority of the population have been moved to slave labour camps in preparation for the dominion of our new overlords. Thereafter the influx of extraterrestrial settlers and tourists will lead to a new boom with the usual 'small island, not enough room' bull argument.

Edited by enrieb

I don't wish to alarm you, but this could be a prelude to an alien invasion. Make sure all entry points to the house are secure and lock away any domestic appliances that the enemy could potentially use against you with their unworldly telekinetic powers, items like vacuum cleaners, microwaves ovens, scary toys, cuckoo clocks etc...

We should rename the thread Green Wednesday and mull the consequences of an intergalactic invasion of the Earth and its affect on the housing market. I expect prices to fall sharply hitting a bottom by the end of 2010 due to huge surplus homes flooding the market after the majority of the population have been moved to slave labour camps in preparation for the dominion of our new overlords. Thereafter the influx of extraterrestrial settlers and tourists will lead to a new boom with the usual 'small island, not enough room' bull argument.

most people would never believe warnings like this frankly - that house prices could fall

Hi MT,

Well it hasn't collected in my own dish, and I doubt its collected on the satellite 250 miles up. I can understand that perhaps some of the trees or roof tops that my dish points over might be slightly raised due ti having developed a snow cap, but I don't get why digital terrestrial is also down as that on the Ariel in my loft.

What makes me suspicious is they both went off at the same time - and yes the TV does still have electrical power, and there isn't a sudden snow flurry.

I am seriously wondering whether one of the major uplink sites is down - i am guess that Digital Terrestrial makes use of satellite and microwave links somewhere in the chain - either that or Gordo is about to announce a coup and has ordered a TV black out.

Yes, something has obviously gone down along the way. Seems like that either the snow is heavy enough ti disrupt services but then I would expect a deterioration and not a complete cut. So something has lost power or, yes, dishes do fill up with snow.

It is common in the US so why not here.

Yes, something has obviously gone down along the way. Seems like that either the snow is heavy enough ti disrupt services but then I would expect a deterioration and not a complete cut. So something has lost power or, yes, dishes do fill up with snow.

It is common in the US so why not here.

easy - we're further north than continental USA so our dishes are at more of an angle facing the satellite over the equator, less horizontal

(OK so this is an informed guess but makes some sense...)

Edited by Si1

easy - we're further north than continental USA so our dishes are at more of an angle facing the satellite over the equator, less horizontal

(OK so this is an informed guess but makes some sense...)

Yes, all satellities are over the Equator. No, they are not.

Perhaps someone pulled the plug out and went home?

Yes, all satellities are over the Equator.

nope - but all geostationary satellites are, so that's the main point

No, they are not.

what is not what?

The weather has been intermittently knocking out freeview for a few weeks now around the country.

Fwiw, the higher the frequency of the channel the worse it gets affected.

Digital is crepe.

The weather has been intermittently knocking out freeview for a few weeks now around the country.

Fwiw, the higher the frequency of the channel the worse it gets affected.

Digital is crepe.

mmmm...crepes......yum

Our Sky went around 9:30 last night. It ruined my Bangbabes viewing