House Price Crash Forum

Bedford's Joke Property No. 1

Meanwhile 6 Castle Road has sold for £267K which staggers me.

My God the developer was lucky to get out of that project without losing money. No 6 is part of one of the grottiest row of terraced houses in Bedford.

Meanwhile a house in Kimbolton Road which sold in early 2004 for £475K is back on the market for £575K and another in Cornwall Road which went for £347K in early 2004 is back on for £450K. There's vendor denial for you. Neither has sold.

In Linden Road work seems to have halted on a part-completed block of 'luxury apartments'; prices around £180K for the usual 750 sq. ft. cardboard box. None has sold and it looks as if the developer may have run out money as no work has been done on the block since February this year.

Edited by Red Baron
a house in Kimbolton Road which sold in early 2004 for £475K is back on the market for £575K

Half a million quid? For a house in Bedford?!?!! Are they mad? :blink: Also, I see from Multimap that the location in question is not a million miles away from a correctional facility for prisoners held at Her Majesty's pleasure..... :ph34r:

Edited by zzg113
Having grown up in Bedford myself, the Castle Road saga has interested me greatly. Nice to see somebodys watching the market there

Yes, it was bought in December 2004 for £205K and put back on the market six weeks later for £315K following a 'magnolia makeover'. I am amazed the developer managed to get even £267K for it, but he clearly managed to pull one of the last remaining 'greater fools'. I think he was incredibly lucky.

I have only lived here for 18 months as an STR, but I understand that in the last crash Bedford was one of the worst towns affected suffering massive price drops.

Half a million quid? For a house in Bedford?!?!!

I could not agree more.

But it gets worse; a house in Rothsay Road is now on for £1.25 million. I am sorry, but with that sort of money Bedford would be the very last place I would look to buy (with apologies to any Bedfordians who might be reading this thread!)

Edited by Red Baron

The 40k property looked quite cute and appealing to a desperate ftb like me, until I realised from the description that there must be TWO separate properties inside that tiny shell...

"COMMUNAL AREA:

Raised balcony area at top of stairway"

What a joke!

The 40k property looked quite cute and appealing to a desperate ftb like me, until I realised from the description that there must be TWO separate properties inside that tiny shell...

"COMMUNAL AREA:

Raised balcony area at top of stairway"

What a joke!

Yes you're right, although the ground floor property is a home for a CAR! (or perhaps just a couple of bikes and a lawnmower).

Where is the bedroom??? Do you hve to sleep in the bath or on the kitchen worksurface?

Or maybe share a communal bed with the two bikes and the lawnmower?

I remember there being some really nice property on Kimbolton Road. Especially at the far end away from town. I presume this 'garage' is at the town end.

But it gets worse; a house in Rothsay Road is now on for £1.25 million. I am sorry, but with that sort of money Bedford would be the very last place I would look to buy (with apologies to any Bedfordians who might be reading this thread!)

You are being a little harsh. Surely not the very last place.

Have you ever been to Stoke on Trent?? Or Swindon??? (Shudder....)