House Price Crash Forum

John Lewis Post Record Xmas Sales Figures

Seems they've done better than everyone else, yet they are a relatively expensive store. M&S predicted just about level with last year; Next are predicted to be down.

BBC expert puts it down in part to low tracker mortgage brigade with cash to blow.

Seems they've done better than everyone else, yet they are a relatively expensive store. M&S predicted just about level with last year; Next are predicted to be down.

BBC expert puts it down in part to low tracker mortgage brigade with cash to blow.

Is this for the full partnership? If so, I would argue that the "essential waitrose" range (posh tesco stripy) is a lot of this gain.

Think I heard one of JL's top bods talking about it on the radio this AM.

He called it a 'purple patch' or summat, caused by low IR's and said he expected the forthcoming results to be a lot less healthy.

Was'nt listening too carefully as I was a bit concerned about my speedo reading 40mph despite the fact I wasn't moving! :lol:

He called it a 'purple patch' or summat, caused by low IR's

Also older well off people thinking they might as well spend if they can only get 1.5% net on their savings.

Aren't they going to feel a right bunch of twerps by the end of they year when savings rates are back up to 3.5%+ and JL have cut prices across the board?

look to see if all the shops show an increase

no woolies this year and a few other chains gone....the reminder are bound to do better even in a flat market.

Its what the BUSt does.....gets rid of the rubbish so the survivors can thrive...

Next are predicted to be down.

Next has increased its full-year profit forecast after reporting better-than-expected sales.

In the 22 weeks to 24 December, like-for-like sales at Next Retail were up 3.2%, including internet trading. Its mail order business, Next Directory, saw sales increase by 6.8% compared with a year ago. Next has now boosted its full-year profit forecast to between £490m and £500m, higher than a previous estimate of about £472m.

In a statement, Next said that its post-Christmas sale had "gone well", but added it was cautious about 2010.

I'd add a link properly but for some reason.... so http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8440637.stm

Is this for the full partnership? If so, I would argue that the "essential waitrose" range (posh tesco stripy) is a lot of this gain.

No, for the department stores. Waitrose did well but is not included.

Revenues at the stores hit £500.8m in the five weeks to 2 January, with like-for-like sales up 12.7% from last year. John Lewis said it had sold goods worth more than £100m in four of the five weeks over the festive trading period. This was thanks to what the store described as "excellent" Christmas and clearance trading.

In the John Lewis stores, fashion sales were up 22%, home goods increased 19% and electrical and home technology sales jumped 11%.

Its sister business, Waitrose, also did well.

In the trading week to 26 December, sales at Waitrose were up 20.8% from the same week last year, while in the 13-week period to 26 December total sales at the supermarket chain were up 16.1%.