House Price Crash Forum

Looking For A New Tv

PopGun

Basically...

I want the best 32" or 37", 1080p/24p for under £500. The shop assistants all seem to be recommending the Samsungs, but I'm not sure I'm that impressed to be honest. Seen some decent spec LGs but read mixed reviews on the Web.

I’ve also been told I’m better off waiting for the new LEDs to become affordable in the next 12 months, as all the cheap LCDs/Plasmas on offer at the moment will be redundant soon anyway.

Lost in a maze of flicker response time motion blurred fog. Any help/recommendations will be much appreciated.

I would go for the 7 series Samsung LED set, I have the 55" model, fantastic picture and cheap to run, or wait for the new 9 series in the next few months, I think it has local Dimming as opposed to global dimming as seen in the 6-7 series so and even better contrast.

Basically...

I want the best 32" or 37", 1080p/24p for under £500. The shop assistants all seem to be recommending the Samsungs, but I'm not sure I'm that impressed to be honest. Seen some decent spec LGs but read mixed reviews on the Web.

I’ve also been told I’m better off waiting for the new LEDs to become affordable in the next 12 months, as all the cheap LCDs/Plasmas on offer at the moment will be redundant soon anyway.

Lost in a maze of flicker response time motion blurred fog. Any help/recommendations will be much appreciated.

From a technical point of view, 1080p won't be that advantageous for a set as small as 32", you won't notice much difference from 720p.

Also the only true 1080p sources are Blu Ray, HDDVD, and games consoles. Broadcast HD is 1080i or 720p. (I am sure you know this already) but it's amazing the number of people I know watching Sky HD on 42" 1080p's, thinking they're watching 1080p.. "...it's the latest model, top of the range innit"

Try AV Forums for mega-nerd advice.

From a technical point of view, 1080p won't be that advantageous for a set as small as 32", you won't notice much difference from 720p.

Also the only true 1080p sources are Blu Ray, HDDVD, and games consoles. Broadcast HD is 1080i or 720p. (I am sure you know this already) but it's amazing the number of people I know watching Sky HD on 42" 1080p's, thinking they're watching 1080p.. "...it's the latest model, top of the range innit"

Try AV Forums for mega-nerd advice.

Thanks TW, and everyone else. Admittingly it's mainly for the PS3 games and BluRay, but good for TV too.

I saw the Sony 37" in Sainsburys the other day. Tempting, I'm just not sure if I'm better off waiting for now.

Basically...

Depends what you will be mostly using it for and what your input sources will be. If you like console gaming, avoid Samsung 6,7,8 series, there is a lot of picture processing which introduces input lag. Samsung B550 (500 for 40 inch) best option if gaming is going to figure heavy. Otherwise, Sony, Panasonic or Samsung 6,7,8 series for SD / HD viewing. Like poster above, AVS forums best place for reviews and advice.

Thanks TW, and everyone else. Admittingly it's mainly for the PS3 games and BluRay, but good for TV too.

I saw the Sony 37" in Sainsburys the other day. Tempting, I'm just not sure if I'm better off waiting for now.

There's a lot happening in broadcasting at the moment. If you don't really watch much TV then it won't affect you much, but just around the corner is the analogue switch off (already happened in some areas), at which point the analogue tuner on your TV becomes next to useless.

Also HD freeview trials are underway, which most current freeview tuners will not be able to decode. I've held off upgrading my TV, even though I'd like 1080p functionality for my media PC, because of these upcoming changes.

Also HD freeview trials are underway, which most current freeview tuners will not be able to decode. I've held off upgrading my TV, even though I'd like 1080p functionality for my media PC, because of these upcoming changes.

There's already a load of controversy over the BBC's freeview HD channel quality (more or less the same as SD half the time), and when roll-out ends in a couple of years time there will only be about 5 free HD channels. Unless you're on a >42" screen in which case youd be on Sky Plus anyways.

Personally I wouldn't wait, buy now, loads of Freeview SD kit is half the price it cost 2 years ago.

Can't really help you in terms of technology as i'm no AV geek, but I bought a 32" LCD about 6 months ago and it looks a lot smaller at home than in it did in the shop. Wished i'd gone for a 37" now, so if you're already thinking about 37" as an option...

Basically...

I want the best 32" or 37", 1080p/24p for under £500.

Why so small? Would you even notice the difference in resolution at such a small size? I have a 46" at the moment, and hopefully when I replace it in a few years would like something 60"+

These tvs arent big like the old ones, you can have a massive tv, and it pushes right into the wall so it takes up no space.

All my AV is Panasonic. Very reliable, good backup from a local Panasonic only shop (cheaper than all the big box stores as well), 100Hz picture was bees knees when we bought the TV (cathode ray tube with valves not one of these fancy LCD types)

http://www.nextag.co...1z41--shop-html

I was in my local Currys Megastore the other day and they had a lovely 50" Panasonic Plasma for only £650 and I was sorely tempted!

edit:speeling

Got a Hannspree myself. 32 inch. Got it for £289 two years ago. All in all very good. As good if not better quality screen than many others I have seen in folks houses/boozers etc..

Internal freeview box went recently though - but seeing they have a 2 year warranty no problem - been picked up just waiting to get fixed.

Most other manufacturers only do one year warrantys IIRC.

I have been told that most of the screens are actually built by the same small number of producers ? So what manufacturer you get can a lot of the time mean sweet FA.

Anyone know ?

Can't really help you in terms of technology as i'm no AV geek, but I bought a 32" LCD about 6 months ago and it looks a lot smaller at home than in it did in the shop. Wished i'd gone for a 37" now, so if you're already thinking about 37" as an option...

I'm suprised by that unless of course your living room is mahoosive. I've found the opposite.

We bought a 26" LCD for the back room on Saturday. We nearly went for 32 but I'm glad we didn't 'cause it would have look ridiculous in the room, even wall mounted. We still have a 100hz CRT in our main living room but I'd like to have an LED. Not sure I'd want bigger than 32 although I'm sure Mr F and the little effers would.

It was madness in the TV sections of Comet, Currys and Tesco Extra on Saturday.

Got a Hannspree myself. 32 inch. Got it for £289 two years ago. All in all very good. As good if not better quality screen than many others I have seen in folks houses/boozers etc..

Internal freeview box went recently though - but seeing they have a 2 year warranty no problem - been picked up just waiting to get fixed.

Most other manufacturers only do one year warrantys IIRC.

I have been told that most of the screens are actually built by the same small number of producers ? So what manufacturer you get can a lot of the time mean sweet FA.

Anyone know ?

Doesn't matter if they only offer 2 weeks warranty, you're covered by the Sales of Goods Act 1979 for these kind of purchases. Something of significant value will be expected to last a "reasonable" amount of time ie: 3 years at least.

I had a problem with my PS3 when it stopped reading discs after an update (whether this caused it or not is undeterminable) Sony wanted £100 to repair or replace with old reconditioned unit as it was 6 months out of their "warranty" ! The slags.

But it is the seller of the item who is accountable through the SoGA, in my case Curry's, and I ended up after a little bit of effort with a gift card for £148 quid which I put towards a new 250gb PS3 Slim, and get to keep the old one which I can sell or fix, or throw out of the window, at least I get to keep it.

Most retailers know this and as soon as you let them know that YOU KNOW your rights they will play ball.

As for the OP, I got a 40" Sony Bravia at the same time as my first PlayStation specifically for the games and BluRay capability,but it performs well all round. Definitely go for a 40" if you're considering a 37", those 3" make all the difference ;)

I'm suprised by that unless of course your living room is mahoosive. I've found the opposite.

Living room ignoring the window bay is about 14' x 15'. Friends have also commented how small the 32" TV looks - despite the seating being arranged somewhat nearer the TV than the room dimensions would actually permit.

With the lights down low, the volume up high and a Blu-Ray movie on I do sit there thinking I could have done with a few more inches...

Doesn't matter if they only offer 2 weeks warranty, you're covered by the Sales of Goods Act 1979 for these kind of purchases. Something of significant value will be expected to last a "reasonable" amount of time ie: 3 years at least.

I had a problem with my PS3 when it stopped reading discs after an update (whether this caused it or not is undeterminable) Sony wanted £100 to repair or replace with old reconditioned unit as it was 6 months out of their "warranty" ! The slags.

But it is the seller of the item who is accountable through the SoGA, in my case Curry's, and I ended up after a little bit of effort with a gift card for £148 quid which I put towards a new 250gb PS3 Slim, and get to keep the old one which I can sell or fix, or throw out of the window, at least I get to keep it.

Most retailers know this and as soon as you let them know that YOU KNOW your rights they will play ball.

As for the OP, I got a 40" Sony Bravia at the same time as my first PlayStation specifically for the games and BluRay capability,but it performs well all round. Definitely go for a 40" if you're considering a 37", those 3" make all the difference ;)

Cheers - that could be very handy. Still it is good to have an agreed extended warranty in the first place. Takes away a lot of the hassle.

Panasonic, not mentioned here, always do well with Which?

Philips use LG screens as LG owns Philips.

My problem is the crap on the telly makes most things pretty useless.

and @ £5 to go to the piccies and see a 30ft screen, the payback is very long indeed.

Archived