House Price Crash Forum

Why Don't Dairy Farmers Just Charge More For Their Milk?

Exactly what do you know about milk production?

Just stop to think about how much it might cost to rear heifers (or buy in replacements), either way the cow needs to be got pregant then and throughout its milking life. How about paying vets for regular fertility visits (PD's, calvings etc) treating cows on farm for any of the many common diseases and problems, Mastitis, metritis, lameness etc.you need to pay for a bull or regular AI visits. And that is before you get onto feeding - modern cows do not just eat grass/silage to produce the yields expected. There are buildings and equipment to maintain and contractors to pay.

Add all that together and surely anyone could realise that the phrase 'cheap' is not very accurate when describing milk production.

Leaving aside the fact that bulls will happily screw cows for free, milk must be cheap to produce because people are selling it cheap and making money.

All that other stuff could be said for any other developed industry.

EDIT: Joke, I know they do it artifically.

Edited by bogbrush
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I fail to see the advantage of wasting good diesel driving milk across Europe when we can already produce it here at a price that the consumer can afford, if the supermarkets would be slightly less greedy with their cut of the sale then there is no real reason for it.

Diesel is too cheap and needs to be taxed more then.

I actually agree with you in the broadest sense. However, modern free market capitalism is slightly to the demented side of lunatic. In Scotland they catch lots of lovely Langoustine, known as prawns up there. However, its too expensive to peel them so they are frozen and shipped to Thailand, defrosted, shelled and refrozen then shipped back to the UK to be sold.

Wasting good diesel/shipping fuel/avgas is now an art-form that is destroying the planet.

Hopefully the forthcoming collapse of the UK economy will force the idiot consumer to buy local stuff once again. We might get lucky and have a run on the pound as well so diesel is £3 a litre.

I'm sure that's why the land speculators are tipping farm land as the next get rich quick asset.

Now you are talking about something I know about. I could not get into L'Clercs a couple of months back because the farmers 'Grève du lait' blockading it with tractors. French supermarkets are much more expensive than in the UK, the produce is of lower quality and there is less variety. This subject came on an ex-pat board just the other day. One guy replied:

If you visited a French supermarket you would find that almost all the milk is 'long life', not the fresh stuff with a few days shelf life you get in the UK. I should know, I live there, have to use the shops and have to eat the junk they sell.

British supermarkets are superb.

Why knock something the British do incredibly well?

There's plenty to complain about. Supermarkets would be the last on my list.

Precisely, after being robbed of my hard earned each and every month the supermarket is the one place I know I can get value for money. And the girls that work in there are hot too.

Diesel is too cheap and needs to be taxed more then.

I actually agree with you in the broadest sense. However, modern free market capitalism is slightly to the demented side of lunatic. In Scotland they catch lots of lovely Langoustine, known as prawns up there. However, its too expensive to peel them so they are frozen and shipped to Thailand, defrosted, shelled and refrozen then shipped back to the UK to be sold.

Wasting good diesel/shipping fuel/avgas is now an art-form that is destroying the planet.

Hopefully the forthcoming collapse of the UK economy will force the idiot consumer to buy local stuff once again. We might get lucky and have a run on the pound as well so diesel is £3 a litre.

I'm sure that's why the land speculators are tipping farm land as the next get rich quick asset.

When I lived in Essex in the mid 80's all the 'city boys' were piling into buying up woodland and forests around the country mainly Scotland/Wales as 'investments'.

This caused them to shoot up in value - causing furniture and tree/paper products to go likewise!

There are now only about two multi-billion £ paper companies(if you do some background research) who are overall kings of the forestry castle, which is why books/paper products etc are becoming more and more expensive to produce now - it's all been funnelled into the hands of the few!

I said French supermarkets are worse the British, so you reply with "No British are better!". Do you even bother reading the posts you reply to or are you under the effects of mind altering pills?

Precisely, after being robbed of my hard earned each and every month the supermarket is the one place I know I can get value for money. And the girls that work in there are hot too.

Do they ever call out to each other (or make broadcast announcements) whilst you are at the till, chekkin-out? :D

Edited by erranta

I said French supermarkets are worse the British, so you reply with "No British are better!". Do you even bother reading the posts you reply to or are you under the effects of mind altering pills?

Where did I say "No British are better!"..

I was agreeing with you, you stupid cünt.

Do you even bother reading the posts you reply to or are you under the effects of mind altering pills?

Owner-occupier farmers might be well off -sure - but there's a massive difference between the peasant farmers of say Devon, Cornwall and parts of Wales - with small 100-300 acre farms - and the multi-thousand acre farms in Sussex, Suffolk, etc.

The small tenant farmers are good cannon-fodder, but they're not the ones wielding the high-power publicity machine that has the BBC persistently telling us about poor hard-pressed farmers and evil supermarkets.

Here in the southwest, there's a dairy cooperative that seems to be doing nicely. And lots of small producers of some gorgeous cheeses.

Cells,

what a bullls*****r you are, a total disgrase to your claimed farming ancestors.

Spose you are one of them sandle wearing liberals, say anything you like without giving any thoughts of the consequences!

Have your ever discussed your views of millionaire farmers with your 'farming' family? thought not.

Love your signature, 'HEAD IN THE SAND', so honest of you to actually illustrate your inability to think through a situation. You are well out of your depth on this thread, go tell your fiction elsewhere. Perhaps you could try being a fiction author, I think you could have a future there.

R

I am only reciting my experience. All the farming families I know are well off.

Farming can be very difficult especilly if livestock is inolved so it should provide a decent living but farmers should be subject to the same competition as all/most other business are.

And the planning permission anetodal I gave you is true. If a farmer was able to do that only once a decade it would increase their income by £50k a year! Twice a decade and its £100k a year easy money!

Surely farming is just like any other industry and is subject to the market forces of globalisation. Whilst I know nothing about EU subsidies, these seem akin to bank bailouts and create zombie businesses.

I have met wealthy farmers, these tend to be larger operations farming hundreds of acres (seems that arable is a more profitable model than dairy/mixed), these are however the minority and smaller operations with negligible profits seem to be more common. A lot of farmers do put in some serious hours, would anyone begrudge a decent income for a hard days graft?

At the end of the day, we as consumers will decide the outcome (assuming relatively cheap energy doesn't destroy globalisation very soon), if we're happy to continue paying the lowest prices with no concern for quality / animal livelihood e.t.c then farming will go the way of a few large producers and a narrow range of low quality products / imports.

If people are prepared to pay for quality, farmers have many opportunities to follow a profitable business model and probably deserve to fail if they cannot adapt to supply this demand.