House Price Crash Forum
twinkle

Fed Up...colleagues Reaction To Interest Rate Cut

My colleague rushed in this morning, skipped over to my desk and jumping up and down (I kid you not!) announced "Interest rates have been cut! Houses will go up again and I'll be able to sell for more!"

She's a lovely girl and my favourite person round here, really intelligent, got a Masters in business, and is generally clued up about life. She knows I am looking for a house and wasn't gloating, but she proceeded to tell me that it was good news for me cos I'll be able to get a cheaper mortgage.

When I said that it would only make my monthly repayments about £10 cheaper, she said that her's was going down £30 (whoa!). Now, she is looking to move up a rung in the next year and stay in the same expensive SW London area and has been complaining that all the nice houses are so expensive. So, I said, but if your house increases by 10%, so will the next one you want to buy. She looked slightly crestfallen at this but immediately came back with, "House prices never go down you now". So I mentioned that they lost a third in the last crash and she couldn't believe it. She is Taiwanese and has only been here 5 years (as has her boyfriend) - 5 years of rampant HPI.

*Sighs* With attitudes like this from intelligent, university educated people, what hope is there for the rest of the sheeple? Does she really think knocking £10-20 off my repayments will reignite the market???????

Guest absolutezero

House prices never go down.

Everyone knows that.

Which is why after trying to persuade a colleague not to buy now (and she has. Fool!) I will say to her in a few years time "House prices never go down, so why are you in negative equity?"

Just bide your time. Tolerate the jibes at your expense and in 2 years time you can jibe at their expense.

Guest rigsby II
*Sighs*  With attitudes like this from intelligent, university educated people, what hope is there for the rest of the sheeple?

I usually find that as a rule, intelligent university educated people are as thick as pig*shit when it comes to business and money...

:)

Guest growl
I usually find that as a rule, intelligent university educated people are as thick as pig*shit when it comes to business and money...

:)

I resent that remark as a graduate. The reason why the poor girl with the business degree does not know any better is because she has only been here for 5 years so has only seen house prices rise. Business degrees usually relate to current economies.

That is why a good education has to be coupled with experience. Which she obviously does not have, as she is probably still in her twenties.

I will not dig at the young people who are hurt by the crash. I will feel sorry for them. It is the people in their late thirties and older who I despair at, as they should remember what happened the last time.

Most people I know who are degree educated are not thick. How ever I know many people who are not, who say things like that out of envy. :)

I resent that remark as a graduate. The reason why the poor girl with the business degree does not know any better is because she has only been here for 5 years so has only seen house prices rise. Business degrees usually relate to current economies.

That is why a good education has to be coupled with experience. Which she obviously does not have, as she is probably still in her twenties.

I will not dig at the young people who are hurt by the crash. I will feel sorry for them. It is the people in their late thirties and older who I despair at, as they should remember what happened the last time.

Most people I know who are degree educated are not thick. How ever I know many people who are not, who say things like that out of envy. :)

Well I'm a graduate and I don't resent that remark! Especially these days when degrees are 10 a penny. She's 30, like me.

As a young person i resent your remark you seem to imply that young people are to simple to understand market conditions and require your sympathy.

EDITED:

Please keep in mind that muppetism knows no bounds, i dont have a degree , yet i have to sort out the mess caused by graduates quite often. Intelligence is limited without common sense. I actually know more in certain fields than the degree muppets i have to deal with.

Profession = Factory worker.

Edited by theChuz

I don't think that's entirely fair. I am university educated, but my degree wasn't in business or the housing market.

Only when you do the research, as I have done, that I realise what a scam the whole property market has been over the past several years. Most people live in a certain amount of ignorance of many aspects of life.

Before I'd done the research I knew "something was up" but I didn't really know any more than that. I could have made a big mistake by buying last year.

People need to be educated. Over the past several months I have educated myself about the housing market because I've had the mental capacity to do so.

As a young person i resent your remark you seem to imply that young people are to simple to understand market conditions

Can we put a stop to the "who-resents-which-remark" game please.

Chuz, most young people in the Uk are th1ck as sh1t. Fact.

Growl, Rigsby has a point. Some of the world's most succesful businessmen and entrepreneurs either never went to university or did not complete their degrees (Philip Green, Sir Stanley Kalms, Charles Dunstone, Richard Branson, etc).

I speak as a graduate, but look no further than the Blairs; sold at the bottom and bought again at the top and now reckoned to have lost £700K on their London and Bristol properties.

With £3 million of debt to repay no wonder she has to sell her body on the speaking circuit.

Edited by Red Baron

Growl, Rigsby has a point. Some of the world's most succesful businessmen and entrepreneurs either never went to university or did not complete their degrees (Philip Green, Sir Stanley Kalms, Charles Dunstone, Richard Branson, etc).

but but it was just geting started :lol:

My colleague rushed in this morning, skipped over to my desk and jumping up and down (I kid you not!) announced "Interest rates have been cut!  Houses will go up again and I'll be able to sell for more!" 

She's a lovely girl and my favourite person round here, really intelligent, got a Masters in  business, and is generally clued up about life.  She knows I am looking for a house and wasn't gloating, but she proceeded to tell me that it was good news for me cos I'll be able to get a cheaper mortgage. 

When I said that it would only make my monthly repayments about £10 cheaper, she said that her's was going down £30  (whoa!).  Now, she is looking to move up a rung in the next year and stay in the same expensive SW London area and has been complaining that all the nice houses are so expensive.  So, I said, but if your house increases by 10%, so will the next one you want to buy.  She looked slightly crestfallen at this but immediately came back with, "House prices never go down you now".  So I mentioned that they lost a third in the last crash and she couldn't believe it.  She is Taiwanese and has only been here 5 years (as has her boyfriend) - 5 years of rampant HPI.

*Sighs*  With attitudes like this from intelligent, university educated people, what hope is there for the rest of the sheeple?  Does she really think knocking £10-20 off my repayments will reignite the market???????

It sound like she is a polytechnic educated gimp. Did she vote New Labour ??

It's true that a university education doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better with finances. But it doesn't mean you'll be any worse either!!

I would have thought that most graduates are so poor these days keeping a grip of their personal finances would be a top priority!

My colleague rushed in this morning, skipped over to my desk and jumping up and down (I kid you not!) announced "Interest rates have been cut!  Houses will go up again and I'll be able to sell for more!" 

Perhaps after lunch you should go over to her desk and jump up and down and announce that House Price Inflation is at a 9 year low.....

She's a lovely girl and my favourite person round here, really intelligent, got a Masters in  business, and is generally clued up about life. 

she is clearly not intelligent and has no clue about life.

So are many young Americans with degrees that I've met: it's not just the UK, it's a common problem in countries with compulsory schooling.

But you can't really blame the kids, the teachers work real hard to destroy any semblance of common sense, creativity and curiosity they were born with. Government schools exist to churn out compliant drones who'll do what the government tell them to do.

Some of the world's most succesful businessmen and entrepreneurs either never went to university or did not complete their degrees

Degrees are for the middle class and the idiot offspring of the rich (the ones who in previous generations would have been shipped off into the army or church, or married off to some rich widower, while their smarter siblings took over the family business). The really successful people don't need them.

Edited by MarkG

Guest absolutezero

Depends what you mean by thick.

I an unfortunate enough to teach the next generation of tax payers.

One thing they are good at is passing exams. Ie Rote learning of facts.

When you ask them to actually thnnk and use some information it's like you've asked them to get to the moon using only a rubber band and a lemon.

People confuse intelligence with education. They are not the same thing.

So are many young Americans with degrees that I've met: it's not just the UK, it's a common problem in countries with compulsory schooling.

Degrees are for the middle class and the idiot offspring of the rich (the ones who in previous generations would have been shipped off into the army or church, or married off to some rich widower, while their smarter siblings took over the family business). The really successful people don't need them.

why are people so resentful of graduates?

What is it.... jealousy or something?

Depends what you mean by thick.

I an unfortunate enough to teach the next generation of tax payers.

One thing they are good at is passing exams.  Ie Rote learning of facts.

When you ask them to actually thnnk and use some information it's like you've asked them to get to the moon using only a rubber band and a lemon.

People confuse intelligence with education.  They are not the same thing.

I think intellimigance can be defined ..." the ability to apply aquired knowledge"

parrott fashion recantations are not a sign of intelligence.

I resent that remark as a graduate.

Why? Being a 'graduate' does not make you somehow special. Does it?I write software from time to time. You can call software writers thick if you like and I won't mind. I have met guys with degrees in various of the computer disciplines who just are not intelligent enough to grasp complex problems. By my standards they are 'thick' and in the wrong job - degree or no degree.

Well ... whatever .... about the envy thing??? I have met many people in my business life with degrees (some of them good) that I would not employ to tie my shoe laces. The sort of person I am talking about has no savvy, no native wit, no personal qualities like inventiveness or tenacity. Many people who have degrees are sheep - they went to school and at 16 did what sheep do and did their A levels and at 18 they did what sheep do and went to University and at 21 they did what sheep do - enter the workplace with a second rate degree and somehow think they have an automatic right to a good job with high wages for the rest of their lives. The qualities an individual has are much more important than whether they spent 3 years of their life fecking about and having a good time.

And now of course we are in the weird situation where people who, 30 years ago, would not have got enough 'O' levels to get them into a 6th form to study 'A' levels - are now doing degrees. Some of the 20 somethings I have met in recent years with degrees should not have wasted their money and gone straight into shelf-stacking.

I worked as a site engineer many moons ago - with absolutely no qualifications apart from my intelligence. As a contractor I was working as the senior engineer on a major project. One of the company engineers was a graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering. I oversaw his work and realising he was no good, double checked everything he did and kept him in a junior position. The project manager saw what was going on, called me in and said 'stop mothering him, he's got to stand on his own feet - give him Block 7 to do and don't keep helping him out.'

So I did as I was told - gave him block 7 and kept out of his way. To cut a long story short he managed to put up a 3 storey reinforced concrete building with one of the wings a metre too short. He made the oldest mistake in the book, held a tape on 1 metre to get a more accurate measurement and forgot to add the metre on. Easy mistake. The stupidity was not checking it. Didn't find out until the structural steel frame on the roof did not fit. I felt really sorry for the guy concerned. He had a degree in Civil Engineering but he was clueless as a person. Just one of life's not very capable people. But the process of getting a degree had not exposed this.

Edited by Marina

Guest absolutezero
I think intellimigance can be defined ..." the ability to apply aquired knowledge"

parrott fashion recantations are not a sign of intelligence.

Correct.

Education is being given two facts and being able to repeat them.

Intelligence is being given two facts and using them to make a third.

Can we stop with all the pathetic sweeping judgements. Not ALL graduates are stupid. Not ALL graduates are middle class. Not ALL young people are stupid. Not ALL muslims are suicide bombers. Stupid generalisations that simply make you all sound like jealous bigots.

Academic intelligence and 'life' intelligence are very different things. One comes through schooling the other comes through living. You can't expect a young person to have the same level of general 'life' intelligence that a 50 yr old has - they've been alive only half the amount. Equally you can't expect a retired factory worker to be able to explain intricate mathematical equations. Neither is any more 'stupid' - they are just different people with different strenghths.

:blink:

a bit like how muslims make their young learn the Koran for example...

Yes, but let me qualify that a little more...

I have taught people in the past by making them repeat a sentence.

I would ask "what does x do" and they would reply "x does y". Its a starting place they dont know what 'y' actually entails.

The whole point is that parrot fashion learning is a basic starting block which needs to be explored and understood over time to become effective.

you'll probably find that most of those successful businessmen who never started or completed university, just happen to come from wealthy and successful families who help them get their business started. why go to uni if your parents can give you 50 grand to set up a business?