House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rigsby II

Council Tax Up £1200 A Year

wont be of any concern to delicious delores who shares the front page though......... :D  :D

Or the poor sods in Niger who have nothing to eat - kind of puts it in perspective doesn't it? "Ooh boo hoo I can't go on my exotic caribean holiday as I have to pay council tax how will I survive" - just be thankful you've got a roof over your head and food on your table and sell that BMW you can't afford to keep.

Plus it's just some political nonsense put out by the tories.

They are claiming that the rebanding exercise will cause lots of people's bills to rise (and, er, lots of other people's bills to fall). And actually they don't know what will happen anyway. And they are useless tory scumbags (to distinguish themselves from the useless labour scumbags).

Hope that clears things up.

Plus it's just some political nonsense put out by the tories.

They are claiming that the rebanding exercise will cause lots of people's bills to rise (and, er, lots of other people's bills to fall). And actually they don't know what will happen anyway. And they are useless tory scumbags (to distinguish themselves from the useless labour scumbags).

Hope that clears things up.

Sorry, but the evidence form the Welsh rebanding excercise suggests that you are totally worng in your assertions.

My assertion is that they may well be right, but;

a) it is old news

B) it's not every house that will go up two bands but a small minority (as in Wales)

c) they are tory scumbags

I can't see what I got wrong?

My assertion is that they may well be right, but;

a) it is old news

B) it's not every house that will go up two bands but a small minority (as in Wales)

c) they are tory scumbags

I can't see what I got wrong?

I'm no real lover of any of the parties. But in terms of scumbaggery I know which I think is worse now, besides, saying that something is false just because it emanates from the opposition side doesn't exactly make it incorrect does it? Think public sector waste and effiiciency, debt (a la Vince Cable), stories which in many cases the journos only sniff at when politicians make a noise about it, mores the pity.

I didn't say they were wrong!

I just said they were scumbags.

And for good measure I said the other party were scumbags too.

I think you are looking to disagree for the sake of it.

Fair enough.

In my local authority 25% of the council's spending goes on pensions and is set to increase.

Edit Link http://www.halifaxcouriertoday.co.uk/ViewA...ticleID=1085621

No, 25% of the sum which is raised by council tax is spent on pension contributions - if you read the article it states that 8% expenditure goes on pension contributions. I take it that the author fancies a job with the Daily Mail one day?

I have a different take on this.

I live on the South Coast and to say that I live in a Multi Cultural Environment would be a complete lie.

I like where I live, and I now applaud overpriced Council Tax.

The reason is simple, the only people who can afford to live in my area are wealthy people.

And slap my hands for telling you this, but we have no Black on Black gun crime, Muggings, and we certainly have no Bombers.

So putting up Council Tax to me makes where I live exclusive and the more they increase it the more exclusive and the less likely the riff raff are to move in.

Cheap Council Tax = Undesirables.

I live on the South Coast and to say that I live in a Multi Cultural Environment would be a complete lie.

The reason is simple, the only people who can afford to live in my area are wealthy people.

And slap my hands for telling you this, but we have no Black on Black gun crime, Muggings, and we certainly have no Bombers.

So putting up Council Tax to me makes where I live exclusive and the more they increase it the more exclusive and the less likely the riff raff are to move in.

no black on black gun crime maybe a perfectly true statement, but you still have time to edit it to include 'gang culture' , i know alot of white scum who also wouldnt be able to live in your nice area (they will just come and burgle you )

Edited by theChuz

We dont get burgled either as we dont have PC ideals.

I am afraid the Chav Burgler will get a lot more than he bargained for if he breaks into my neighbours houses. And given that many of my neighbours are involved in country sports such as Clay Pigeon shoots you would have to be a madman to think that when you break in to someones house you are going to get someone who is not going to put you straight.

I think there is a huge market for areas such as mine as I see many people moving in, and they all cite the same reasons for moving.

High Crime, unsafe streets, and a political correctness that has gone too far.

I am afraid the Chav Burgler will get a lot more than he bargained for if he breaks into my neighbours houses. And given that many of my neighbours are involved in country sports such as Clay Pigeon shoots you would have to be a madman to think that when you break in to someones house you are going to get someone who is not going to put you straight.

I think there is a huge market for areas such as mine as I see many people moving in, and they all cite the same reasons for moving.

Sounds like a place where i would like to live, except i dont think i would get along with the neighbours!

It seems wrong on some moral level that you should have a better quality of life than say.. me because you have enough money to pay higher council tax than i do, but such is the sh*tpit that we live in.

I think your quite right in what you say, the price makes it exclusive . Shame it has to be that way but it has to be that way.

not in london. in fact in london council tax is higher in certain areas precisley because councils need more money to deal with social problems - hackney, haringey for example. conversely some of the most exclusive borughs (kensington and chelsea, westminster) have the cheapest council tax in the country.

But your typical "Chav" family will not be paying any council tax. People living on benefits / in baseball caps and track-suits don't have to pay any, we subsidise their living. So there is actually not council tax deterent to prevent them living in your area if they want to.

Its a lovely place, just had Cowes Week, Goodwood Week, Festival of Speed (Cars not drugs :-) )

Its one of the last places in this sh1thole worth living.

The only place i can think of where you might be refering to is Poole in Dorset,

that has INCREDIBLY high house prices if i am correct - it's got nothing to do with council tax

the rest of the south coast is indeed a mess.......

Now just let me be sure I understand you. You live in a nice area and, because it is a nice area the houses are expensive so nasty poor people can't afford to live in your nice area.

Bugger me, I've never noticed that there were nice areas with expensive houses and crappy areas with cheaper houses before. Perhaps you could make a fortune by putting maps on the internet showing the nice areas and the nasty areas so people don't accidentally make a mistake when looking for property.

Something I have noticed is - no matter how nice a place you live in - I used to live in a very pretty and exclusive village in the chilterns - you have to leave it sometimes. And, when you do, the scum are all over the place just waiting for you.

But this is why nearly every new development around me is now 'gated'. It keeps the riff-raff out but, venture outside the gates say to go down to the local shops at night for a pint of milk, and the dross is there waiting for you. When I go down to my local shops at night (I can't believe I am saying this - I live in a town voted one of the most desirable places in the UK to live - the mind boggles) I use my wife's car. If I get out of my car with all the pikies hanging around I feel I am making myself a target.

One observation I would make because I like to look on the bright side of things - when the slump comes the gangs roaming the streets will be visiting the nice areas first to strip them bare.

But your typical "Chav" family will not be paying any council tax. People living on benefits / in baseball caps and track-suits don't have to pay any, we subsidise their living. So there is actually not council tax deterent to prevent them living in your area if they want to.

That is very true, however in my Area there are very few council houses, they have been sold off. There is a five year wait on Social housing as there is none, and the planners operate a strict NIMBY approach to planning so no new estates where the law now says 40% must be social housing.

I wouldnt suggest there is Zero crime, but in the Village I live in the Crims have long since left. Their lives were made unbearable as the neighbours made sure of it. In fact even the Gipsies are too frightened to setup camp, the council spend millions making sure they are not welcome.

I am not going to tell you where it is, but can tell you its good enough for the Bransons, Mick Jagger, Henry Royce, Wayne Hemmingway,Pearson,Goldsmith, and many other people who are fed up with the sh1thole Britain has become.

Damm I have just given it away :lol:

Its a lovely place, just had Cowes Week, Goodwood Week, Festival of Speed (Cars not drugs :-) )

Its one of the last places in this sh1thole worth living.

I think you are painting a deliberately rosy picture - that just isn't true. Where on the South Coast is this idyll you describe? I like bits of the South Coast - Barton on Sea is nice (but dead - okay if your next stop is the graveyard) - West Wittering? Not bad but quite a few chavvy Londoners around - Chichester - now Chichester is nice - Brighton - not my cup of tea but at least lively but you mention Cowes - and that brings to mind Portsmouth, Southampton and the M27. The M27 is one of the poxiest motorways in the country. Every time I am on it I get involved in the 10 mile long compulsory rest period.

I used to think living in and around London was fairly manic. Boy, things move up a gear if you hit the M27 in the rush hour. Where is everyone headed for in such a hurry?

Trouble with the M27 is that its the trunk road from Dover to Honiton

I hear they are going to charge for using it shortly, now that will cause a riot.

Chichester is indeed nice, had a couple of houses there some time ago. No parking is the biggest problem as the houses were all built for those who had jobs in the City of Chichester unlike today where you have to travel sixty miles each way to earn a real living. Average wage in Chichester is around 18K now that is pants. But lots of wealthy people with money from years of toil working in london.

West Wittering is lovely if you know where to go, try Roman Landings a very nice 1930's estate hidden away. I say estate they are all over the 800K mark standing in an Acre. West Strand is nice, sea front and private, many well known people live along this stretch.

But you are in the right area generally. But dont tell anyone, we like to keep it nice. :D