House Price Crash Forum

Although I don't understand enough about economics to say with any certainty how far house prices will fall or when, the one thing that re-affirms my faith that things will change is that I can't see a whole generation of people sitting back quietly and putting up with what's happening to them.

The BBC feedback shows how sentiment is turning. In the news, we hear that young people are being expected to pay for their education until they're 36 years old.

Those who are on the right side of this newly-created wealth divide might try to claim that things are different now, but that depends on those people who have missed out taking it lying down. I, for one, can't see that happening.

As an estate agent I am delighted to learn the news of today's interest rate cut. Recent months have seen a dreadful slowdown in the demand for property, much to do with a lack of confidence. This rate cut will hopefully bring any 'wavier's' (many first time buyers) into the market place. Coupled with a change with the lower rate of stamp duty, first time buyers should recognise a great opportunity!

Adam J Pritchard, Stourbridge, West Midlands

:)

"For somebody like myself struggling to pay a mortgage this is brilliant news. I was a first time buyer 2 years ago trying to get on the property ladder which I managed, but have found it difficult with the rate rises that have occurred."

Lorraine Abel, Walthamstow

Er... hello? You're finding it hard to pay a mortgage with rates at 4.75%?

Why didn't you get a long term fixed rate when you bought (2 years ago), as IRs were about as low as they ever were? Did you imagine they would go even lower in the short to medium term?

Is it really so tight that maybe £20 or £30 a month will make a difference?

What *is* wrong with people?

This is my favourite....

"As an estate agent I am delighted to learn the news of today's interest rate cut. Recent months have seen a dreadful slowdown in the demand for property, much to do with a lack of confidence. This rate cut will hopefully bring any 'wavier's' (many first time buyers) into the market place. Coupled with a change with the lower rate of stamp duty, first time buyers should recognise a great opportunity!

Adam J Pritchard, Stourbridge, West Midlands

"first time buyers should recognise a great opportunity"

No, first time buyers should recognise you as a complete and utter ****.

At least there's some good news there, the "dreadful slowdown" means he'll soon be out of work. Vermin.

Guest Riser

I thought last nights ITV 6:30 report on the IR cut was a peach. They had a graphic which shed the link with four pictures

House picture - House price rises give us confidence to spend

CashTill - Spending benefits retailers as we buy more

Factory - More sales benefit industry who make money selling products

Tax - Industry creates wealth leading to higher tax returns for the government

They then animated the picture showing the whole lot spinning arond as if disapearing down a plug hole in a downaward spiral, saying interest rates needed to be cut to save the economy.

They epeated the animation of everything disapearing down the plug hole about five times, that should start a few people thinking. B)

This is my favourite....

"first time buyers should recognise a great opportunity"

No, first time buyers should recognise you as a complete and utter twit.

At least there's some good news there, the "dreadful slowdown" means he'll soon be out of work. Vermin.

I laughed at this quote.

And I laughed even more at this.

"No, first time buyers should recognise you as a complete and utter ****."

That has brightened up my dull morning at work :)

I was amazed how these comments echo our own.

I thought everyone wanted rate cuts??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4745615.stm

Interesting comments on Newsnight last night too. I flicked over to find an interviewee discussing what the interest rate cut said about the general state of the economy. Her comments went along the lines of 'if we are in a housing bubble, as many think we are, prices will have to come down at some time'.

Interesting comments on Newsnight last night too. I flicked over to find an interviewee discussing what the interest rate cut said about the general state of the economy. Her comments went along the lines of 'if we are in a housing bubble, as many think we are, prices will have to come down at some time'.

I saw that too - it woke me up! I think she actually said "if we are in a housing bubble, as MOST people think we are". I really noticed the use of the work "most" in her comment.

Our house went on the market two days ago and we agreed with the agent a selling price. However, he pointed out that if the MPC reduce the interest rate today then we should put the house on for an extra 10% from £500,000 to £550,000! Surely it's time estate agents were forced to fall in line behind legislation and not let them to be continually self-regulated.

Has my irony radar become faulty? what the hell is this bloke on about?

wow that was refreshing, finally a chance to see what the general public actually think of this mess. The hard working are getting screwed over.

"Low interest rates are vital for a healthy economy that encourages entrepreneurship and business. I don't have much sympathy for people moaning that the interest on their savings is too low. If people want to get returns on their cash they should make an effort and invest it like everyone else has to."

tosser, where does he think theese people get their money from to save with? And who the ****** does he think he his to justify his methods of earning money more worthy than other investments.

This country has gone insane!

Our house went on the market two days ago and we agreed with the agent a selling price. However, he pointed out that if the MPC reduce the interest rate today then we should put the house on for an extra 10% from £500,000 to £550,000! Surely it's time estate agents were forced to fall in line behind legislation and not let them to be continually self-regulated.

Dominic Arnold, Brighton, UK

Outrageous :angry: