House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stalledFTB

Sellers Moan About Cheeky Buyers Wanting 10% Off

Guest uberstuka
I know that its a common theme to spy on the Expats site, yet it is so much fun to see the poor parasitic b@stards blindly stumbling into the early stages of the crash without a fugging clue that they are really screwed.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318029

That's a very interesting read.

It's seems - not matter what the BOE have just decided - that our decision to pull out of buying our first house (two weeks ago) was THE BEST DECISION WE HAVE EVER MADE.

Everyone wanting property right now seems to be getting the idea that offering considerably less than that what the property is listed for is THE way to go.

Keep hitting them with a 30% reduction, I say. And when they come back to you in 6 months saying ok, tell them you've reconsidered and hit them for a further 10%.

Guest Bart of Darkness
but most have been put off by our steeply terraced garden

That must be it love. :rolleyes:

Strange how it didn't put you off buying in the first place though!

"the guy that put an offer in our house, pulled out, saying he didn't want to buy a house just yet, as there was going to be a crash, and he didn't want negative equity?!

we think he's just a time waster (or carpet treader!!)"

Well, sorry love,but theres a lot of us HPC believers around.More everyday....unfortunately for you & your soppy Karma giving friends!

I know that its a common theme to spy on the Expats site, yet it is so much fun to see the poor parasitic b@stards blindly stumbling into the early stages of the crash without a fugging clue that they are really screwed.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318029

Well, I think they are naive but not parasitic. They're cashing out... and withdrawing their equity to Oz. Whatever price they get they are entitled to do whatever they like with the proceeds.. and perhaps not putting it in to the UK market is quite sensible (there again, I wouldn't put it in Oz either).

Reality is many, many people are recognising that UK prices are frankly stupid and perhaps realising they could take the money and build a better life (whatever that means) some place else. Is it fair? depends on your perspective, but probably not. But in that position many of use would perhaps do the same (I am).

Alan.

"the guy that put an offer in our house, pulled out, saying he didn't want to buy a house just yet, as there was going to be a crash, and he didn't want negative equity?! 

we think he's just a time waster (or carpet treader!!)"

Well, sorry love,but theres a lot of us HPC believers around.More everyday....unfortunately for you & your soppy Karma giving friends!

But great for us BTL's!! Now where did I put that order for extra rent books.

Well, I think they are naive but not parasitic. They're cashing out... and withdrawing their equity to Oz. Whatever price they get they are entitled to do whatever they like with the proceeds.. and perhaps not putting it in to the UK market is quite sensible (there again, I wouldn't put it in Oz either).

Reality is many, many people are recognising that UK prices are frankly stupid and perhaps realising they could take the money and build a better life (whatever that means) some place else. Is it fair? depends on your perspective, but probably not. But in that position many of use would perhaps do the same (I am).

Alan.

OK Heads up. My nephew recently made 37k on a very very boring little house in Chertsey which he bought four years ago and sold (just in time at the top of the market). With a further few grand that his wife inherited from her grandmother they have emigrated to Aussie and have now bought a sumptuous pad with four bedrooms, a view of the sea and a swimming pool, with a tiny mortgage.

Personally I am of course pleased for them. But (and I have told them this) philosophically I think it is reprehensible. It is MORE than good luck. It is a classic illustration of bonkers HPI enabling people to gain enormous wealth without doing anything. I don't even object to that except that the next poor ******* is PAYING for all the profit which my nephew made.

And this is the key thing that Bulls don't seem to understand. It is no different from pyramid selling. At some point the whole edifice has to crumble because those on the bottom rung eventually shout "NO MORE". They are no longer prepared to PAY directly for the profits of others.

When are Bulls going to get that into their THICK heads? They've had a great party and now the party is over. But along with their own (well deserved) hangover the Bulls are taking innocent people with them. They are responsible for the mess we are in, and I hope they live on bread and dripping for the rest of their days.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

Personally I am of course pleased for them. But (and I have told them this) philosophically I think it is reprehensible. It is MORE than good luck. It is a classic illustration of bonkers HPI enabling people to gain enormous wealth without doing anything. I don't even object to that except that the next poor ******* is PAYING for all the profit which my nephew made.

And this is the key thing that Bulls don't seem to understand. It is no different from pyramid selling. At some point the whole edifice has to crumble because those on the bottom rung eventually shout "NO MORE". They are no longer prepared to PAY directly for the profits of others.

When are Bulls going to get that into their THICK heads? They've had a great party and now the party is over.  But along with their own (well deserved) hangover the Bulls are taking innocent people with them. They are responsible for the mess we are in, and I hope they live on bread and dripping for the rest of their days.

VP

VP - well I would not agree that it is reprehensible for a family to sell their property at a massive unearned profit. People have been doing that for decades - but obviously with far greater effect recently. Your nephew, the expat post, me... we're being opportunistic - taking advantage of a rare moment in time to break out of this country.

What is reprehensible is the pure greed that has driven prices to their current levels. I have nothing but condemnation for the key guilty parties:- BTL landlords, EAs, flippers, 'property developers'... these are the people that deserve to get burnt. When I see everyday houseowners get too greedy then I tend to include them too :angry:

And I do very much agree with you that it is the next owner who is paying for the profit... we could argue that no one is forcing you to pay these ridiculous prices but the unfortunate thing is that many buyers have also been caught up in the frenzy and have lost touch with reality - there are plenty of posts about the mentality in the system. It is sad, very sad.

I would be perfectly happy if prices had remained static and I had not made any 'profit' on my property. For one I would have been able to easily afford the property I really wanted and would not have needed to be so focused on earning £££. Second, I hate what this country has become - and I do blame HPI for a lot of it - we have become too materialist, too greedy and obsessed with wealth. The wealth effect around HPI has, I'm sure, encouraged people to go on a debt-fuelled spending spree which, for some, will be their undoing.

A final thought - praise and celebrate every family that emigrates. That's one less buyer in the system and when prices drop one less buyer to drive them up again!

Alan.

This is weird. We've had an offer £22k under the asking price today as well! We've had the house up for sale for 4 months now - had an offer of £260k very quickly from the 2nd viewer but he decided that he wasn't going to get enough money from his divorce so he pulled out. We've reduced the price to £249,950 and the latest people who are first time buyers have offered £228k. It's such a dilemma isn't it? We will definitely be going in January, house sale or not, as I have a job to go to. We don't need the money to be able to go, but I can't help thinking that the house is going to look very sad being empty and that we will probably get less for it. Also we couldn't afford to pay the mortgage as well as rent in Aus for too long.

Same boat as you as there isn't really anything comparable to our house. It's a 4 bed detached with a double garage and you can't get anything like that for under £250k in our area. But we are next to a busy road junction which has definitely put off a couple of viewers already

er, you can get exactly like that for under 250k, ie your house,

these people are fools, complaining about a 20k "hit" when they've probably made 100k.

What is reprehensible is the pure greed that has driven prices to their current levels. I have nothing but condemnation for the key guilty parties:- BTL landlords, EAs, flippers, 'property developers'... these are the people that deserve to get burnt.  When I see everyday houseowners get too greedy then I tend to include them too  :angry:

What a ridiculous statement. These people are economic actors, just as we all are, not criminals.