House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Homebird

Second Homes - The Pension Of The Future

I wondered what everyone thought of the topic of a discussion I had the other day?This concerns Mr Brown's new incentive, from next year, which will allow people to buy second homes as a pension investment (giving encouraging tax breaks and the like).The person I spoke to is seriously thinking of doing this, and believes that the housing market is now stable, and that long-term, her investment is a winner compared to a safe but boring low-interest saver investment.

What do you think of this????

If I had the money (which I haven't!) I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.I was under the impression that lots of Buy-To-Letters are offloading them like nobody's business.However, the pace of increasing polarisation of wealth in terms of rich and poor appears to be about to hot up again.Will these house-pension seekers become the first-time-buyers of the future, and potential FTB's be forced to rent for ever more?

This country is going to the dogs...

I wondered what everyone thought of the topic of a discussion I had the other day?This concerns Mr Brown's new incentive, from next year, which will allow people to buy second homes as a pension investment (giving encouraging tax breaks and the like).The person I spoke to is seriously thinking of doing this, and believes that the housing market is now stable, and that long-term, her investment is a winner compared to a safe but boring low-interest saver investment.

If I had the money (which I haven't!) I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.I was under the impression that lots of Buy-To-Letters are offloading them like nobody's business.However, the pace of increasing polarisation of wealth in terms of rich and poor appears to be about to hot up again.Will these house-pension seekers become the first-time-buyers of the future, and potential FTB's be forced to rent for ever more?

This country is going to the dogs...

:lol:

Search for a SIPPs thread.

Theres loads of them on here and all with the same conclusion. A complete waste of time and not for the normal or even rich folks, super rich only need apply.

We have gone over this issue so many times its intolerable :lol: Of course theres no way you could know that, like i said check out a SIPPs thread.

I have a feeling this may turn into another one.

:lol:

Search for a SIPPs thread.

Theres loads of them on here and all with the same conclusion. A complete waste of time and not for the normal or even rich folks, super rich only need apply.

We have gone over this issue so many times its intolerable  :lol:  Of course theres no way you could know that, like i said check out a SIPPs thread.

I have a feeling this may turn into another one.

As a new member I must apologise for my intolerable and frankly moronic ignorance in not trawling the thousands of threads in this site.Let this then be an end to the matter.

As a new member I must apologise for my intolerable and frankly moronic ignorance in not trawling the thousands of threads in this site.Let this then be an end to the matter.

ha i actually made an effort to be nice then, sometimes wonder why i bother, i actually went off collecting links for you.

I didnt say you were moronic i didnt say YOU were intolerable, i didnt call you ignorant, theres a search box at the bottom left so you dont need to trawl.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=13023&hl=SIPPs

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=13035&hl=SIPPs

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=13139&hl=SIPPs

fvck sake... and you guys wonder why i dont like people.

Edited by theChuz

Will these house-pension seekers become the first-time-buyers of the future, and potential FTB's be forced to rent for ever more?

Blimey!! Someone on this MB who has actually sussed what is going on. Well done for spotting the obvious - shame about the others who still believe that FTB's control the market.

at this rate only home owners will be able to buy other houses by MEW,

as the younger generations are priced out only the home owners can buy, to keep the market rising they will need to dream up new ways to get thoses people to buy more houses.

soon or later 90% of the houses will be owned by 1% of the population

I would also guess that King Brown III will reintroduced the Feudal system and window tax

at this rate only home owners will be able to buy other houses by MEW,

as the younger generations are priced out only the home owners can buy, to keep the market rising they will need to dream up new ways to get thoses people to buy more houses.

soon or later 90% of the houses will be owned by 1% of the population

I would also guess that King Brown III will reintroduced the Feudal system and window tax

The current generation of FTB's should cheer up. They will eventually inherit most of the wealth created (albeit paid for by them) by their parents. The current generation of would be FTB's will miss out for now - it's ironic really - Thatchers children stuffed by Thatchers legacy.

Edited by nodumsunreader

As a new member I must apologise for my intolerable and frankly moronic ignorance in not trawling the thousands of threads in this site. Let this then be an end to the matter.

Welcome to HPI Homebird! This subject was thrashed out some days ago. I'm sure you will find some stimulating debate. Do please stay and contribute.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

The current generation of FTB's should cheer up. They will eventually inherit most of the wealth created (albeit paid for by them) by their parents.  The current generation of would be FTB's  will miss out for now - it's ironic really - Thatchers children stuffed by Thatchers legacy.

1. What Children?

2. 40% will go to Governement

3. houses will be worthless by that time because of 1 & 2

4. houses are going to pay for their pension don't forget, it will be MEW and spent on health care and fuel costs

don't forget demographics, that pension pot won't be worth too much as less FTB means less buyers to pay for old age costs.

with birth rate at 1.6 most couples will in your theory inherit 2 whole houses. with nobody to sell too becuase they all have 3 houses

it'll be Grannys dead, great what do we do with another bloody house that needs taxing/repairs/sit empty/use for fire wood

Edited by Kam

Ignore the inbred smugness of the bears who are invariably wrong - SIPPS will make a HUGE impact on the market - but almost as interesting is the DIRECTION of government incentives over the past decade. SIPPS didn't just pop up - you have to put it into context.

When Labour came to power, a whole series of tax breaks for ordinary buyers were scrapped, and many tax breaks and incentives for investors where introduced, SIPPS is the continuation of that trend which has seen the BTL mortgage explode.

SIPPS will ensure that credit - even to keyworkers - will start to be rolled back by the banks to ordinary people, and extended to investors on more generious and flexible terms.

Ordinary people will have to outbid investors, who can buy the same property for 40% off. (They also have to pay this portion of his taxes).

This is an impossible task. And no bank or building society should abuse its shareholders by extending credit to people who have no boom-time equity, as they are, by definition, overstretching themselves in the marketplace - it takes them 5 years just to save for the deposit!

It is this change in credit, beginning now, which will see forced renters, forever locked out of the market becoming a renting class, and a incredibly rich elite who will be the landlord masters. The market will thus polarise when SIPPS occurs.

The 90% of FTBers locked out of every town and city will become renters for the rich and well connected, who will sit down to devour a feast when the credit situation changes, and the market polorises.

This credit situation has of course occured in the dickensean past, and defined the rentier society - except then, house prices where only 3.5-4 times earnings and supply was not as constrained!

Edited by brainclamp