House Price Crash Forum

28 Hospital Management Jobs To Go

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4809213.DCH_CRISIS____3million_in_pay_offs_for_28_chiefs/

Bigger fish beginning to feel pinch?

Payouts are taxable at 40% over 31K, are they not?

There isn't any legal requirement to pay severance other than the statutory minimum, so I don't know why the public sector keeps doing it.

HOLA443
HOLA444

There isn't any legal requirement to pay severance other than the statutory minimum, so I don't know why the public sector keeps doing it.

More rats who have been exposed, abandoning a sinking ship - whilst feathering their nests?

HOLA445

Its well know in the industry that Dorset County Hospital is fvcked and has serious budegt problems. This is likely to be the first of many changes to turnaround the finances.

Spill the Beanz :)

HOLA446

You get the impression that at least, at management levels, the public sector is completely out of control.

It's not just pay and episodes like this, but you feel that, like politicians, there is often complete contempt for the people they apparently serve.

HOLA447

I applied for a consultant job here many years ago and the application form and documentation I got from them was so full of management bullsh1t I withdrew the application. I can now see how a county DGH has so many people in highly paid management jobs they can sack 28 and still carry on.

Looks like they will be reduced to treating patients for a living in future.

HOLA448

I applied for a consultant job here many years ago and the application form and documentation I got from them was so full of management bullsh1t I withdrew the application. I can now see how a county DGH has so many people in highly paid management jobs they can sack 28 and still carry on.

Looks like they will be reduced to treating patients for a living in future.

Still as long as there is enough money for the tamiflu......

..oh wait

HOLA449

Still as long as there is enough money for the tamiflu......

..oh wait

Was talking to our paediatricians this week and they don't use Tamiflu on confirmed cases of swine flu in children ill enough to be in hospital because they don't think the benefits outweigh the bad taste.

Millions of £s has been p1ssed up the wall setting up flu hotlines and posting out Tamiflu to people with hayfever and colds (or just hoping to sell it on) to win Nulabour a few more votes at the election.

That moron Ben Bradshaw has also set a new target that anyone who might at some future date have symptoms which might possibly be due to cancer has to be investigated within a week (down from current 2 weeks)

Totally bonkers when the NHS is about to fall over due to misallocation of resources.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Totally bonkers when the NHS is about to fall over due to misallocation of resources.

That's what happens when you have idiots running the service.

There was a paper written a few years ago saying the NHS was incapable of spending the money Labour was going to put into the NHS it was just going to be wasted on wage increases and the hiring of management.

Fortunately it wasn't an accurate prediction.

HOLA4413

Most of the staff on these grades are CLINICAL. (bands 7 and 8A)

These are the ones with the most CLINICAL responsibility.

These are staff who have years of CLINICAL experience.

Part of their role may be managerial but as team leaders only of CLINICAL staff.

They will also have a big CLINICAL caseload to manage.

The majority did not want any managerial responsibility but was forced on them to make senior managements life easier

To get rid of senior management is the goal (at higher grades) but turkeys don't vote for xmas..............

HOLA4414

Part of their role may be managerial but as team leaders only of CLINICAL staff.

The majority did not want any managerial responsibility but was forced on them to make senior managements life easier

To get rid of senior management is the goal (at higher grades) but turkeys don't vote for xmas..............

we cant have real managers sacked, now can we...we need to get rid of these management assistants ASAP, to free up office and car park space for EXECUTIVES.

HOLA4415

This was a bit unclear but it was a local newspaper report.

Roles like Director of Nursing and Director of Ambulatory Care are clinical roles but they take the clinician off patient care duties. I would be surprised if these people are actually sacked because many will have worked in the organisation for many years and it would be expensive. Much more likely the title and the income supplement would go and they would get back to clinical duties. I suppose some of the "directors" will have been away from clinical duties so long as to be unemployable and would opt for early retirement - I suspect this is where the money is going.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Chief Executives of Hospital Foundation Trusts earn more than the Secretary of State for Health.

Executive Directors share a pot of bonus money.

Seems to me that the reward packages are losing any sense of proportion for the people who will not be working nights and over Christmas and facing the drunks in A&E

or the abusive visitors or the drug dependent patients or the suicidal Christmas casualties.

The targets set in the NHS reflect popular concerns, like superbug infections, fair enough, but they mean that other activities for which the NHS has responsibilities, are stripped of money to achieve the targets.

For example, they are supposed to encourage the employment of disabled people because it has economic benefits and improves the health of the disabled persons.

But rather than spend any money making the 'reasonable adjustments' which the legislation requires, one Trust has spent £50K in legal fees fighting off a complaint. But of course, the bonuses get paid.

It is time that we stopped trying to mix private sector managerialism into public service funtions. There are a majority of people in the NHS working from motives like altruism, caring and humanity. Give the reins back to them, not the carpetbaggers.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It is time that we stopped trying to mix private sector managerialism into public service funtions. There are a majority of people in the NHS working from motives like altruism, caring and humanity. Give the reins back to them, not the carpetbaggers.

well said.

HOLA4421

snip

why then, is there a belief in Government, that they need to pay for their skills, or is it paying the group with the best bargaining chips.

HOLA4422

why then, is there a belief in Government, that they need to pay for their skills, or is it paying the group with the best bargaining chips.

Because the Government asked Management Consultants to advise them.

Management Consultants do not understand concepts like 'altruism' or 'public good'.

Management Consultants want people in place who will give them further work.

HOLA4423

Because the Government asked Management Consultants to advise them.

Management Consultants do not understand concepts like 'altruism' or 'public good'.

Management Consultants want people in place who will give them further work.

Consultants.....in an organisation so vast with a ton of Quangos as resource, it does seem odd the number of consultants they have to pay.

personally, I think much of this is down to extremely timid, ass covering management looking to ensure the right boxes are ticked.

HOLA4424

They are probably contractually entitled to a weeks wages rather than the statutory reducancy maximum payment (£350 for each year of service) But this still wouldn't add up to anywhere near £100K in most cases.

For example - salary £75K / 15 years service

£1500 x 15 = £22500 redundancy payment

HOLA4425
Guest absolutezero

Haven't you lot worked this out yet?

The System is designed to look after those who are high up in the System.

There's nothing more to discuss.