House Price Crash Forum

So Who Is Skiving Off Today

HOLA441

Well I am spending today at home and as the corporate VPN is down, I've decided to go out and take some photos in the snow. As I start a new job in Jan, my motivation to do much in the last 4 days having done an official hand over is quite low. So perhaps I should just relax and enjoy today, and not care about end of year reporting.

Edited by mikelivingstone

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well I am spending today at home and as the corporate VPN is down, I've decided to go out and take some photos in the snow. As I start a new job in Jan, my motivation to do much in the last 4 days having done an official hand over is quite low. So perhaps I should just relax and enjoy today, and not care about end of year reporting.

/me working from home today (as every day for many years ... with very rare exceptions).

Best thing to do, for those of us in the 'knowledge economy'.

... Not that we've got any snow: just bright sunshine, sufficient to heat the home.

HOLA444

Enjoy it and enjoy yourself. Relax.

I'm in excatly the same situation, small difference of a move to Australia but the handover here is done.

Oddly many of my colleagues have taken my leaving very sourly as if i had stabbed them in the back, the colleagues in Japan anyway, i think work is akin to life for some of them over there.

May go in later for a coffee though, as it's only down the road, and the coffee is good.

Good luck with the new direction.

HOLA445

Lots of people having a quiet little "working from home" day today....

Makes my blood boil! - If you cant make it into the office you should be forced to take it unpaid. Finished!

Why are you angry about this?

Blood boiling is on the whole bad.

Out of interest, If a person can do the same work from their home remotely. Does this still induce boiling?

Just curious as i don't understand where you are coming from, and I won't spout off about saved carbon from being at home blah blah.

HOLA446

Lots of people having a quiet little "working from home" day today....

Yeah, a few people are "working from home" here today. I don't have a massive issue with it but it does kind of sum up the work shy attitude of some of us. "Blah blah I can't afford a house" - but can't be quite arsed to work for one either. Ho hum. Merry Xmas ;)!

HOLA447

Yeah, a few people are "working from home" here today. I don't have a massive issue with it but it does kind of sum up the work shy attitude of some of us. "Blah blah I can't afford a house" - but can't be quite arsed to work for one either. Ho hum. Merry Xmas ;)!

I work from home everyday, but when you work for yourself you tend to work more hours (not to mention unpaid holidays, sick leave etc etc.)

HOLA448

Im working from home as everyday. although did skive to Sainsburies with Mrs Loo as the gritters went past at 9.30. She needed 9 bags of food as we have two guests tomoz.

6 ins snow, beautiful back garden...and the floodlit display of snow from my back bedroom window was breathtaking last night...till the powercut that is.

HOLA449

Working from home was supposed to be some kind of panacea that would increase productivity, cut overheads and make business more profitable.

Problem is it only seems relevant to certain jobs and almost always in a restricted capacity.

Don't really want to send this thread into another public sector bashing fest (OK, maybe just a bit! :P ) In my job I frequently have to deal with LA's planning / development departments and from what I've seen the gravy train is all 1st class tickets.

Why can I not speak to you if you're working from home? Surely your role is fundamentally predisposed to the necessity of communicating with the public, if your working from home and the public can't get hold of you then you are not performing your job role :angry:

I feel I can say with a fair bit of confidence that certain PS job roles only require 60% involement.

'He does'nt start work till 10."

"Oh okay, thankyou, i'll try back later"

4:05

"Is terry ******wit available?"

"Im sorry, he's left for the day'

"OK I'll try back tomorrow."

"erm. he's actually visiting site all day tomorrow and he's got a training day on wednesday and thursday'

'Friday he works from home, maybe try next week"

This shit really grinds my gears

grindsmygears5.jpg

Just jealous really :lol:

HOLA4410

Working from home was supposed to be some kind of panacea that would increase productivity, cut overheads and make business more profitable.

Problem is it only seems relevant to certain jobs and almost always in a restricted capacity.

I have pretty much worked from home the last 5 year.

Plus points:

- easier to get stuff done

- avoid unnecessary travel, though I do travel to clients;

Down points:

- lack of visibility, though in my role performance is easy to measure so not an issue in that sense, more politically

- can end up working too many hours - I tend to work like a fastidious university student, sometime into the night or early in the morning

- easy to over dose of Italian coffee - well that my own fault for having a cupboard full of Lavazza

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Im working from home as everyday. although did skive to Sainsburies with Mrs Loo as the gritters went past at 9.30. She needed 9 bags of food as we have two guests tomoz.

6 ins snow, beautiful back garden...and the floodlit display of snow from my back bedroom window was breathtaking last night...till the powercut that is.

9 bags of shopping for two people?? They must be some big eaters....Half the town was out here last night, bit of snow and everything starts breaking!

Oh, and as for the topic...would have loved a snow day, difficult when you live round the corner from work though....

Edited by danuttah

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Why can I not speak to you if you're working from home?

Huh? If you ring my extension at my employer, you wouldn't even know it was routed through to my mobile. Back in October I took a call that led to a bit of work while on the ferry to Lundy.[1]

Surely your role is fundamentally predisposed to the necessity of communicating with the public, if your working from home and the public can't get hold of you then you are not performing your job role :angry:

Do I get the sense of someone avoiding either work in general or you in particular?

[1] That is, the call. The work took place after I'd returned ;)

HOLA4416

I have pretty much worked from home the last 5 year.

Plus points:

- easier to get stuff done

- avoid unnecessary travel, though I do travel to clients;

Down points:

- lack of visibility, though in my role performance is easy to measure so not an issue in that sense, more politically

- can end up working too many hours - I tend to work like a fastidious university student, sometime into the night or early in the morning

- easy to over dose of Italian coffee - well that my own fault for having a cupboard full of Lavazza

I did it for a while and I found the down points far outweighed the ups. It just took over and there wasn't the social side of working in an office; it became a total grind.

And as I enjoy my drive to work that wasn't even a plus for me.

HOLA4417
Huh? If you ring my extension at my employer, you wouldn't even know it was routed through to my mobile. Back in October I took a call that led to a bit of work while on the ferry to Lundy.[1]

Unfortunately it wasn't you who I been trying to get hold of all these times, do you work for a Local Authority - Maybe each one has a different set of home working rules?

Do I get the sense of someone avoiding either work in general or you in particular?

How would they know who was trying to get hold of them? Very rarely do they ask who is calling, I'm therefore inclined to think they're basically idle b*stards.

Another of my friends works for a university, and gets usually 1-2 days per week working from home, sometimes it will coincide with my GF's day off and the two of them often spend the day shoppping / drinking overpriced coffee / visiting the cinema e.t.c Which is probably a better illustration of how working from home can provide a boost to our ecomomy :blink:

HOLA4418

Unfortunately it wasn't you who I been trying to get hold of all these times, do you work for a Local Authority - Maybe each one has a different set of home working rules?

But you seemed to be mixing up people working from home with people being hard to contact. And no, I don't work for a local authority. Never have done, and think it unlikely I ever will.

Another of my friends works for a university, and gets usually 1-2 days per week working from home, sometimes it will coincide with my GF's day off and the two of them often spend the day shoppping / drinking overpriced coffee / visiting the cinema e.t.c Which is probably a better illustration of how working from home can provide a boost to our ecomomy :blink:

Sure, there's flexibility. I like to get out for at least an hour or so every day in daylight hours. I don't always manage it if work is pressing, but to balance that I sometimes manage more :) I'm also still at work (at home) after midnight several days in the average week, because it suits my style: I work well at night.

And the evening is even a good time for social/work contact with my colleagues (the virtual coffee machine): the 'merkins are up and online, and the vast majority of European geeks seem to put in lots of evening/night time too.

HOLA4419

Your just making excuses not to turn in for work. I travel by public transport not owning a car.

Both the trains and buses were suspended due to snow. I just got up 2 Hrs earlier. I used my mountain bike to cross country to the edge of the River Test, one hour. I swam the Test and did cross country on foot to the edge of the River Itchen. After swimming the Itchen I simply walked the last leg in.

Now lets not have any piss poor excuses again, Eh.

Edited by Abstra