House Price Crash Forum

Britain Has Crashed

US Citizen

HOLA441

Ouch! Gosh, you lot really don't like a newbie do you?! I stand by my convictions, I think the majority of servicemen and women work very hard and deserve respect, I for one will continue to support them. And as for giving to charity, I like to think that my money is going on something worthwhile instead of something that will be in the bin by the end of January. Right, I am going to leave you lot to it, wish I'd never bothered posting, won't dare to voice an opinion in here again.!

Might be an idea to stay away from the Internet then if you are so sensitive. B)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I think we'll have spent about £3K by the time it's all over.

We dont buy presents anymore: We go on a weeks ski holiday for the same price you mentioned above. We hire a cottage in the mountains. I dont think I can particularly remember any Christmas: They all invove too much food, too much alcohol, sh*t that is never used and thrown in a draw, reletives arguing etc etc now but I remember every minute of our skiing holidays these days. I highly recommend it.

HOLA443

Ouch! Gosh, you lot really don't like a newbie do you?! I stand by my convictions, I think the majority of servicemen and women work very hard and deserve respect, I for one will continue to support them. And as for giving to charity, I like to think that my money is going on something worthwhile instead of something that will be in the bin by the end of January. Right, I am going to leave you lot to it, wish I'd never bothered posting, won't dare to voice an opinion in here again.!

I like the giving to charity idea. Some people really feel the need to give a present and to spend money on useless tat. They do it because they want the pleasure of buying and giving it. I end up with even more clutter and even less space, a conscience about tat going into the landfill site and the worry of offending them by not smiling enough when I receive it.

What I might do is the inverse of your suggestion. Next year I shall ask them that if they really insist on giving a present that they should make a donation on my behalf to a charity of their choice. That way they get the pleasure of giving (and feel especially good about it as it's a charity). I can relax knowing that I am not going to get a present.

HOLA444

You are joking? Jack russell X chihuahua = Satan's spawn surely.

Frankly £200 isn't enough to take one of these off your hands. Shudders. I'd want at least a grand and a lifetime's supply of ear plugs. It's a shame their bad temper (due to being mistaken for somekind of fancy rat by every other dog) and yapping can't be harnessed as a renewable energy source as it would probably be enough to light a 40w light bulb 24 hours a day.

Really cute actually...more jack russell looking. Funny how there seems to be alot of people that look down on small dogs. Sure there's an old adage....big dog, little man. .Always makes me laugh seeing some short arsed bloke being dragged down the road by a rotty.

As they're all being sold (only 1 left now) I couldn't care less how noisy they are.

They've gone a long way toward paying for the xmas booze!

Wasn't intentional breeding by the way....horny little ba5tard jumped over our fence.

HOLA445

Really cute actually...more jack russell looking. Funny how there seems to be alot of people that look down on small dogs. Sure there's an old adage....big dog, little man. .Always makes me laugh seeing some short arsed bloke being dragged down the road by a rotty.

As they're all being sold (only 1 left now) I couldn't care less how noisy they are.

Wasn't intentional breeding by the way....horny little ba5tard jumped over our fence.

I hope you haven't got any daughters :blink:

HOLA446
HOLA447

Ouch! Gosh, you lot really don't like a newbie do you?! I stand by my convictions, I think the majority of servicemen and women work very hard and deserve respect, I for one will continue to support them.

I agree with you. Generally speaking I dont really care who dies who I dont know. But I absolutely hate soldiers dieing, mostly because they shouldnt be there, and its such a waste of their lives.

HOLA448

I dislike that term, it implies that our only purpose is to buy sh!t we don't need

Xmas presents for almost all adults are 5hit we don't need. If we needed the stuff we would have bought it ourselves. Different for young children of course.

Anyone who gives me a present usually gets a sullen thanks - not because I'm not grateful they have taken the trouble but I want to put them off doing it again.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

My partner is making her own homemade biscuits and liquor chocolates to give to close friends and family as presents.

A lost art these days, and so much better and tastier than the shop stuff.

I would certainly accept a present like this with grace. I would appreciate the time and effort she put into it much more than buying something from a shop. If it tastes better too that is an added bonus.

HOLA4411

A few years ago I sent my elderly mum a goat http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/ChooseAGift.php?PHPSESSID=b9575169ddf84f3fb3de91516f68c7f0. I have never heard her being so emotional about receiving a gift and she loved telling her friends about it (they all thought it was in her back garden). Since then I've done this annually - buying a toilet one year, school essentials the next etc etc.

HOLA4412

I'm sure they're lovely. I don't mind any kind of dog - small ones can be cute too.

But I have to admit every chihuaha and jack russell I've come across has been annoyingly yappy (and often going berserk at some serene looking labrador 4 times it's size).

Glad your little'uns indiscretion has paid for an essential part of the xmas survival kit though.

HOLA4413

A few years ago I sent my elderly mum a goat http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/ChooseAGift.php?PHPSESSID=b9575169ddf84f3fb3de91516f68c7f0. I have never heard her being so emotional about receiving a gift and she loved telling her friends about it (they all thought it was in her back garden). Since then I've done this annually - buying a toilet one year, school essentials the next etc etc.

Is it just me getting mental pictures of a goat sitting on a toilet in a 3rd world classroom being taught by a slightly bemused teacher?

HOLA4414

I got a donkey last year, but they don't seem to do them any more maybe no longer a demand? ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4415

I'm sure they're lovely. I don't mind any kind of dog - small ones can be cute too.

But I have to admit every chihuaha and jack russell I've come across has been annoyingly yappy (and often going berserk at some serene looking labrador 4 times it's size).

Glad your little'uns indiscretion has paid for an essential part of the xmas survival kit though.

Jack Russells can get a bit yappy if not reared properly. They can suffer from liitle man syndrome and is said that if a Jack Russell looks in a mirror, it sees a lion looking back at him. I'm sure that some posters on here suffer form similar delusions. :lol:

Edited by benthebuilder

HOLA4416

My partner is making her own homemade biscuits and liquor chocolates to give to close friends and family as presents.

A lost art these days, and so much better and tastier than the shop stuff.

+1. Homemade is the only way to go for adults; otherwise it's just a stupid ritual of show-you-care-by-buying-what-noone-would-buy-for-themselves.

Talking of which, must go and take those chickpeas off the hob for humous that's a whole lot richer than what you buy in the supermarkets.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I am not sending any Christmas cards. I am not buying any food, any treats or films or entertainment.

Christmas is now only about social obligation and we're all being exploited to prop up an economy that is on the verge of death due to the excessive number of parasites in society.

So I am making a stand and saying no to Christmas.

Must it be "all or nothing"?

I went to the pub with work colleagues yesterday - great fun and just cost a few beers. Take-away with friends tonight. Christmas at parents' house next week. Lots of fun - not much expenditure.

Whilst I agree that Christmas can encourage overspending on rubbish, it seems like your protest is just a ban on fun for yourself, which given life is pretty short already seems a shame.

HOLA4419

Whilst I agree that Christmas can encourage overspending on rubbish, it seems like your protest is just a ban on fun for yourself, which given life is pretty short already seems a shame.

That's the thing though. Christmas stopped being fun years ago and just became a chore. Yet I am still expected to spend lots of money by other people and to sit around bored for several days smiling politely.

What's more, I can't actually think how to make it fun without spending a huge amount of money and offending everyone. So I am making a statement to all and sundry. Enough is enough.

Edited by Skinty

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Mr Q and I have been doing this for about 15 years. We go on holiday to escape the madness and it's great skiing down the quiet (on cmas day) French Alps thinking about all the "poor people" wearing silly hats and stuffing their faces with turkey. Freeeeeeeeedom! :P This year we're working at the other side of the world so going to the stunning South Island of New Zealand.

Oh ,ovely. Mr LE and I were there last year...stunning. We celebrated New Year near Milford Sound. Hope you enjoy yourself and get away from this basket case of a country.

HOLA4422

3 years ago I told everyone "Let's forget presents and just give each other £20 cash", thus cancelling everything out and costing everyone nothing, highlighting the pointlessness of it all - the year after I said let's make it £30, then the year after it became a running joke so I said £50, hell you're getting it straight back so everyone can be generous, right?

This year I've suggested £100 each.

This where my 3 year plan concludes - I'm not going to send any gifts or answer my door or phone, I'll be too busy opening my cash filled cards.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

3 years ago I told everyone "Let's forget presents and just give each other £20 cash", thus cancelling everything out and costing everyone nothing, highlighting the pointlessness of it all - the year after I said let's make it £30, then the year after it became a running joke so I said £50, hell you're getting it straight back so everyone can be generous, right?

This year I've suggested £100 each.

This where my 3 year plan concludes - I'm not going to send any gifts or answer my door or phone, I'll be too busy opening my cash filled cards.

Charles Ponzi would have been proud.

HOLA4425

We got sick of Christmas three years ago after receiving loads of Boots gift sets and spending a fortune trawling a mental city centre. So, instead, we choose a charity for each family and made a donation (between £20 - £40) on their behalf. I couldn't get over how many people took this badly "where is my mass produced sh!t?!", I was shocked that the people I cared about and whose opnions I so valued were so selfish... now I don't even bother selecting individual charities that I think someone will like, we just choose a different one every year, this year it is all going to Help the Heroes.... a lot of people don't like it but I feel great!!!

For what it's worth, I also request charity donation if anyone asks, but am happy with some nice food and a bottle of wine with the family, I don't need anyone to spend money on me.

Am I as mean as my so called friends and family say? I would like to mention my grandmother though who was so impressed that she now does exactly the same thing, the word is spreading!

PW x

The problem with this is that its only really a gift if this is money you weren't planning to give to charity anyway.

If you are an existing charity giver - saying that 'donation X is your present' just looks like a feeble excuse to stiff someone out of a present.

If you are someone who doesnt give to charity then forcing your friends/relatives into donating is a bit two faced.

Neither option makes you look good.

I guess you could go the full disclosure route where you explain, "I would normally donate X but instead I'm donating Y as a proxy present" but thats going to get awkward as they will naturally compare your annual charity donations with their own. This is not something English people are comfortable doing!

An interesting exercise might be to say "if you donate something to charity X this year, then I'll double it"