House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At work I tell all my colleagues not to give me Christmas cards. If I get one I loudly say, "Thank you very much, I shall keep it for a week and then throw it in the bin."

I've been doing this for 8 years now and still some people give them to me. :(

Yeah what is that all about? I can (kind of) understand people sending cards to folks they don't see very often but aaaaargh when people you see every day of the week doing it. I always refuse to mess up my office space with them and store them in a little pile.

I've decided that I have had enough. I have told Mr Skinty in no uncertain terms that he can buy presents if he wants but I will not be buying any or expecting to receive any. My parents and brother and sister-in-law have all agreed not to buy each other presents and I have done my best to convince my mother-in-law to desist as well (although she has admitted that she can't help herself).

I am not sending any Christmas cards. I am not buying any food, any treats or films or entertainment. I have thought long and hard about whether I am going to buy myself some whisky to get through the day, but I have decided that I have enough stashed away that I can drink on the day and I can replenish my stash in the sales.

Christmas is now only about social obligation and we're all being exploited to prop up an economy that is on the verge of death due to the excessive number of parasites in society.

So I am making a stand and saying no to Christmas.

Please don't take this the wrong way (I'm a scrooge too), but it is people like you (and me) that low savings rates and the threat of high inflation are designed to coax into spending.

One might say, it is our fault.

do they still make these?

I think he's been living in a bunker for the last 3 years.

Everything on the list is just a little - well, you know, dated.

I mean, plasma? Everyone wants a 46 inch backlit LED these days. The picture is just so glossy.

The missus managed to drag me round the shops this morning but after an hour I said that the puppies would need to be checked on (jack russell x chihuahua if anybody's looking for a nice pet...ready in the new year...only 200 of your english pounds :lol: ) .

You are joking? Jack russell X chihuahua = Satan's spawn surely.

Frankly £200 isn't enough to take one of these off your hands. Shudders. I'd want at least a grand and a lifetime's supply of ear plugs. It's a shame their bad temper (due to being mistaken for somekind of fancy rat by every other dog) and yapping can't be harnessed as a renewable energy source as it would probably be enough to light a 40w light bulb 24 hours a day.

I've been hitting the pound shops myself. There seem to be many variants around here, Poundland, Poundstretcher, Pound Saver, Home Bargains etc. Some pop-up shops too.

pound shop in oldham in former ethel austin (Next to the still empty woolworths) and got 10 small hardback notebooks for £1.

mega good bargains in there with 15 pritstick glues for £1 too ...

The missus managed to drag me round the shops this morning but after an hour I said that the puppies would need to be checked on (jack russell x chihuahua if anybody's looking for a nice pet...ready in the new year...only 200 of your english pounds :lol: ) . I really couldn't stand it anymore...the stress so evident on peoples faces, scurrying round frantically buying gifts I reckon many were wondering how they were going to pay for.

Have told people this year...for the kids, no battery operated stuff, no toys or games with lots of parts, nothing that takes up too much room and to only buy stuff that they can see the kids

1) making actual use beyond xmas/boxing day and still using in a years time.

2) taking care of

Sick of the house being crammed with plastic chinese toys and games that are all bells and whistles on xmas morning but a month later are parts/batteries missing, ignored and taking up valuable storage space.Sounds like I've got some ungrateful spoilt kids but they aren't. It is that this heavily advertised stuff has the enduring appeal of athletes foot. Big clear out tomorrow before the kids break up. That's when you here the complaints about the missing battery operated slushy drink maker that was the be all and end all last year that has languished unused in the kitchen cupboard for 50 weeks.

Rant over..ta for listening...(deep breaths, deep breaths)

crikey! i hear you man and i've pasted this into an email to the wife to demonstrate that it's not only me.

we are literally disappearing under archaeological layers of children's tat (another layer to be added to in 6 days time).

i spent an hour yesterday trying to think up a personal xmas wishlist for her parents. i don't need anything.

Yeah what is that all about? I can (kind of) understand people sending cards to folks they don't see very often but aaaaargh when people you see every day of the week doing it. I always refuse to mess up my office space with them and store them in a little pile.

A little pile of unopened envelopes helps make the point.

I've decided that I have had enough. I have told Mr Skinty in no uncertain terms that he can buy presents if he wants but I will not be buying any or expecting to receive any. My parents and brother and sister-in-law have all agreed not to buy each other presents and I have done my best to convince my mother-in-law to desist as well (although she has admitted that she can't help herself).

I am not sending any Christmas cards. I am not buying any food, any treats or films or entertainment. I have thought long and hard about whether I am going to buy myself some whisky to get through the day, but I have decided that I have enough stashed away that I can drink on the day and I can replenish my stash in the sales.

Christmas is now only about social obligation and we're all being exploited to prop up an economy that is on the verge of death due to the excessive number of parasites in society.

So I am making a stand and saying no to Christmas.

Good on yer! I recall being particularly riled by an advert some years back that had a tagline something like "this year, give them something they'll actually want!" As if to say you are somehow a rubbish person if you get a gift for someone and they don't like it. How about "this year, say 'f**k off, I'm not buying useless cr*p that you don't need". Not really in the spirit of things I guess :angry:

QB

You are joking? Jack russell X chihuahua = Satan's spawn surely.

Frankly £200 isn't enough to take one of these off your hands. Shudders. I'd want at least a grand and a lifetime's supply of ear plugs. It's a shame their bad temper (due to being mistaken for somekind of fancy rat by every other dog) and yapping can't be harnessed as a renewable energy source as it would probably be enough to light a 40w light bulb 24 hours a day.

:lol:

Thanks for that, really made me laugh (I know nothing about dogs btw)

We got sick of Christmas three years ago after receiving loads of Boots gift sets and spending a fortune trawling a mental city centre. So, instead, we choose a charity for each family and made a donation (between £20 - £40) on their behalf. I couldn't get over how many people took this badly "where is my mass produced sh!t?!", I was shocked that the people I cared about and whose opnions I so valued were so selfish... now I don't even bother selecting individual charities that I think someone will like, we just choose a different one every year, this year it is all going to Help the Heroes.... a lot of people don't like it but I feel great!!!

For what it's worth, I also request charity donation if anyone asks, but am happy with some nice food and a bottle of wine with the family, I don't need anyone to spend money on me.

Am I as mean as my so called friends and family say? I would like to mention my grandmother though who was so impressed that she now does exactly the same thing, the word is spreading!

PW x

No change to our spending plans this year.

Car loads of presents going all round the country in 4 seperate trips to cater for Xmas at both sets of Grandparents, New Year at good friends, and a pre-xmas party at another set of friends.

I think we'll have spent about £3K by the time it's all over.

Some right miserable old bags in here... A lot of it doesn't even seem to be about money, what's the problem with somebody wanting to give you a Christmas card? Unless you are currently living like a caveman, a small piece of printed card isn't going to significantly add to your environmental footprint!

No change to our spending plans this year.

Car loads of presents going all round the country in 4 seperate trips to cater for Xmas at both sets of Grandparents, New Year at good friends, and a pre-xmas party at another set of friends.

I think we'll have spent about £3K by the time it's all over.

We've definitely spent less but then we've booked 2 weeks in the sun for January .... you can't have it all unfortunately

We got sick of Christmas three years ago after receiving loads of Boots gift sets and spending a fortune trawling a mental city centre. So, instead, we choose a charity for each family and made a donation (between £20 - £40) on their behalf. I couldn't get over how many people took this badly "where is my mass produced sh!t?!", I was shocked that the people I cared about and whose opnions I so valued were so selfish... now I don't even bother selecting individual charities that I think someone will like, we just choose a different one every year, this year it is all going to Help the Heroes.... a lot of people don't like it but I feel great!!!

Brilliant. So instead of buying harmless tat, you support murderers.

Brilliant. So instead of buying harmless tat, you support murderers.

Fab, nice welcome to the forum, thanks... As it happens, DH is a mental health nurse in the army, he is not a 'murderer; he is there to help, though he may well be killed or injured should he have to go to Afghanistan to work in a medical capacity..... there will always be someone who disagrees with every charity but having known good young men (and I mean good men, don't see the scabby benefit theiving chavs out there) who have had their lives destroyed for a war they shouldn't even be taking part in, abandoned by the government when they are no longer fit to fight, I do feel they need support. Personal opinion.

I couldn't get over how many people took this badly "where is my mass produced sh!t?!", I was shocked that the people I cared about and whose opnions I so valued were so selfish... now I don't even bother selecting individual charities that I think someone will like, we just choose a different one every year, this year it is all going to Help the Heroes.... a lot of people don't like it but I feel great!!!

Personally I think thats selfish of you, though admitedly you said you would accept the same back. If you want to give your money to charity then fine (even though most of them are scams anyway), but dont give the money you were going to spend on another on their behalf.

I had a friend do something similiar on a much smaller scale. I would pick a nice xmas card, write it, post it etc. Then I gets back from her, a Cancer eCard e-mail. As she had decided to do that instead and the money she would have spent given to charity. So she gets to feel good about giving money to a charity, she gets a card from me, I get nothing. I gave strong hints last year how unimpressed I was by this, and this year I have a nice card from her. :D

If I was a member of your family, Id spend the money I was going to spend on you on myself, just like you have really. lol

Fab, nice welcome to the forum, thanks... As it happens, DH is a mental health nurse in the army, he is not a 'murderer; he is there to help, though he may well be killed or injured should he have to go to Afghanistan to work in a medical capacity..... there will always be someone who disagrees with every charity but having known good young men (and I mean good men, don't see the scabby benefit theiving chavs out there) who have had their lives destroyed for a war they shouldn't even be taking part in, abandoned by the government when they are no longer fit to fight, I do feel they need support. Personal opinion.

We live very near to Darlington Station, which is the main rail connection for Catterick Camp. As a consequence I come across our "heroes" on an almost daily basis and if their general conduct is typical of the armed forces then I think I'll take my chances with the chavs, thanks.

Although to be fair it probably isn't really their fault, most of them don't seem to have two brain cells to rub together. Which may explain their joining up in the first place, I suppose.

eight

We live very near to Darlington Station, which is the main rail connection for Catterick Camp. As a consequence I come across our "heroes" on an almost daily basis and if their general conduct is typical of the armed forces then I think I'll take my chances with the chavs, thanks.

Although to be fair it probably isn't really their fault, most of them don't seem to have two brain cells to rub together. Which may explain their joining up in the first place, I suppose.

eight

Ouch! Gosh, you lot really don't like a newbie do you?! I stand by my convictions, I think the majority of servicemen and women work very hard and deserve respect, I for one will continue to support them. And as for giving to charity, I like to think that my money is going on something worthwhile instead of something that will be in the bin by the end of January. Right, I am going to leave you lot to it, wish I'd never bothered posting, won't dare to voice an opinion in here again.!

Ouch! Gosh, you lot really don't like a newbie do you?! I stand by my convictions, I think the majority of servicemen and women work very hard and deserve respect, I for one will continue to support them. And as for giving to charity, I like to think that my money is going on something worthwhile instead of something that will be in the bin by the end of January. Right, I am going to leave you lot to it, wish I'd never bothered posting, won't dare to voice an opinion in here again.!

Can't be too sensitive in OT. (I agree with you by the way but it's a forum, there are always those who don't)

If high street retailers are so dependent upon this time of year for their profits then there is something fundamentally wrong with their business models.

The high street rents are set to incorporate the christmas bonanza. If the retailers don't make out like bandits at christmas the rent sums no longer add up.

It's not so much a problem with retailer's business plans as it is with the landlord's ability to impose neccesity on them

Edited by Stars