House Price Crash Forum

Physics Research First In Line For Cuts

These cuts yesterday are not to do with the £600M cuts you are talking about. They are additional cuts specifically targetting basic physics research, not science in general.

There will be further cuts to all science, including the basic physics areas which just had major cuts yesterday, when the overall £600M cut is implemented....

Fair enough, percentagewise the cuts are still likely to be less than 15% across the board though. Academia is highly flexible because so many of the people coming through are student and postdoc youths on 1-3 year contracts, so if you want to reduce headcount just put out fewer new contracts. Honestly there is a lot of pain to go around, scientists are going to have to take their share as are taxpayers and state employees in medicine/education/local government/defence/police etc. I work in academic scientific research and I would rather we took managed paycuts and reduced headcount now than see the UK become the next Argentina (or California?) and be unable to pay its employees altogether and have massive sudden cuts imposed anyway.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, percentagewise the cuts are still likely to be less than 15% across the board though. Academia is highly flexible because so many of the people coming through are student and postdoc youths on 1-3 year contracts, so if you want to reduce headcount just put out fewer new contracts. Honestly there is a lot of pain to go around, scientists are going to have to take their share as are taxpayers and state employees in medicine/education/local government/defence/police etc. I work in academic scientific research and I would rather we took managed paycuts and reduced headcount now than see the UK become the next Argentina (or California?) and be unable to pay its employees altogether and have massive sudden cuts imposed anyway.

The point is the current cuts are due to mismanagement of the relevant budget 3 years ago and predate the financial crisis. So its not fair to argue we are taking our fair share - we are not, we are getting much worse than others will get because we will still get all the same cuts they get after the election, but in addition we now have these pretty large cuts.

The point is the current cuts are due to mismanagement of the relevant budget 3 years ago and predate the financial crisis. So its not fair to argue we are taking our fair share - we are not, we are getting much worse than others will get because we will still get all the same cuts they get after the election, but in addition we now have these pretty large cuts.

Ah I see, yes it is a bit unreasonable to make very deep cuts to specific areas. I suppose the argument is not whether there should be cuts at all but how they should be spread around within academia. In that case I sympathise, it's not fair to suddenly gut entire fields instead of slicing the top layer off of all of them.

Er.... what about Blair's 'Knowledge based economy?

Hello?

We have a knowledge based economy. Its based around ID cards, databases, and council and public sector jobsworths sticking their noses into people's business - now thats what Labour call real 'knowledge'

I fear that it won't just be physics, ................

Unfortunately, the problem is that only a tiny minority of MPs have any formal science background and so support for science is difficult to muster at the best of times.

Superimposed on the above will follow, I fear, a funding maelstrom for the tertiary education sector as this 'expanded' sector contracts due to funding and demographics.

Looks like Mao Tse Broon and the un-cultured revolution are in full swing. :o

At least the brain drain to the US of A should be able pick up some decent crash-priced houses before the USD rapidly appreciates against the zimPound.

Brilliant joined up thinking from the Gubbimint to slash nuclear physics by half just as we beg EDF to build some new nuke power stations. Couldn't make it up.

Edited by RockingHorse