House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panda

Boe/media/government Spin

Just a thought prior to the big decision today.

The BOE is supposed to be independent, the reasoning behind this scenario i think is to give the public the perception of confidence when decisions are made on the economy in the setting of interest rates.

Also, should things start to go wrong, Mr Brown can lay the blame at the door of the BOE, which could be pretty soon.

The strength of this media run country is plain to see, over the last few weeks we have seen the media and markets more or less dictate to the public and the BOE, that interest rates must be reduced by 0.25%.

Should they not be reduced and held, or god forbid rise by a quarted percent, then this will be the kind of action which could show that the BOE really are independent and will not be bullied by either magician Brown or the markets and the media.

More spin, have we all been suckered in, hours will tell. If they do drop, panic has set in, and we may be served up to the yo yo effect on interest rates in the coming months, as confusion rules.

Agree,

There is also a secondary factor for further down the line - a cut now means less potential for a cut later on. They may wish they never started on the house price and debt promotion campaign for when the chips are really down they will have precious little ammunition to do anything about very real large scale problems which in most part will have been exacerbated by previous action.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Should they not be reduced and held, or god forbid rise by a quarted percent, then this will be the kind of action which could show that the BOE really are independent and will not be bullied by either magician Brown or the markets and the media.

That is why today will be a landmark day for the future stability of the UK economy. Pain is required in the treatment of this patient, withdraw the medicine early and the illness returns. <_<

Guest The_Oldie
Just a thought prior to the big decision today.

The BOE is supposed to be independent, the reasoning behind this scenario i think is to give the public the perception of confidence when decisions are made on the economy in the setting of interest rates.

Also, should things start to go wrong, Mr Brown can lay the blame at the door of the BOE, which could be pretty soon.

The strength of this media run country is plain to see, over the last few weeks we have seen the media and markets more or less dictate to the public and the BOE, that interest rates must be reduced by 0.25%.

More spin, have we all been suckered in, hours will tell. If they do drop, panic has set in, and we may be served up to the yo yo effect on interest rates in the coming months, as confusion rules.

My thoughts entirely. The media have talked up their position to a point where they are today running stories where they state things like "todays cut WILL be the first for two years" (Sky News). Hopefully the MPC will rise above it.

Could the dog turn around and bite the hand that is wagging it's tail?

Without a bit of pain and sorrow, its hard to judge the good times and happiness!

Bring on some real pain and show 'em they've been living it up!

That is why today will be a landmark day for the future stability of the UK economy. Pain is required in the treatment of this patient, withdraw the medicine early and the illness returns.  <_<

Not only that, the illness will get a whole lot worse and be even more painful to treat later.

My opinion is that if the BoE were going to go against the media and VI circus they would have indicated that through some spin of their own.

So I think IRs will drop today but it may be a one-off.

The same was true on the way up & I can't remember people (the bears of HPC) complaining about it even though I felt very aware of it.

I've felt for a long time now that the MPC members read the papers on the way to work & go and do what they're told to do. After all it's just a job......

Sucked in no, the VI's, the media, the markets, FatBrown, they dictate what the MPC decide upon.

Sack the commitee, they only do what they are told to do.

What a waste of tax payers money.

Better off giving the job to the head of the Estate Agents Organisation.