House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
justanewbie

Softly, Softly

It's not just HPI that are "landing softly" :-

Banking group HBOS yesterday dismissed fears that Britain is facing a consumer debt crisis and described conditions as "exceptionally benign".

James Crosby, chief executive, said that, while the bank believed bad debts would rise in the second half of the year, it would not pose a serious problem because the economy was set for "a soft landing" with only a brief period of slower gro

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../04/ixcity.html

We are surrounded by cotton wool.

All is safe.

Hush, little baby, do not cry.

So what exactly do you disagree with in the statements? Which part of what he said was wrong, and why?

The point that jawb is making is one of "consensus."

Those who have been around markets for sometime will know what a dirty word that is.

I doubt that's what he meant. The article does not contain any reference to "consensus" whatsoever, and actually talks about differences of opinion.

So overall you agree with the points made in the article? And you think he does too?

If not, why not?

I doubt that's what he meant. The article does not contain any reference to "consensus" whatsoever, and actually talks about differences of opinion.

So overall you agree with the points made in the article? And you think he does too?

If not, why not?

You really are a very quaint sort. The content of the article is not the issue of the post, but as I said, one of consensus. His heading clearly said: The UNIVERSE is becoming soft."

How much bigger clue do you want?

As to whether I agree with the contents or not, think on this: SHOULD I agree that would merely make the consensus more absolute. Would that make you feel better? :lol:

Edited by Sledgehead

Sorry, I'm not trying to provoke a fight although when I read my posts here I sound like I am. What I'm trying to say is that the article that makes some pretty fundamental points about the state of play. The tone of the original message implies that it's is all just comfort noise. I think that's wrong. The article goes to the heart of the soft landing/stagnant market argument. If there's going to be a debate, let's debate and not just dismiss contradicting facts.

I agree, but to throw the thrust of a post away on the first reply seems bad form to me. People dismiss sentiment too frequently in their discussions of market behaviour, when, imho, it is one of THE most important things to understand if you wish to understand and even predict market direction. In fact it was the slant on sentiment that caused me to linger on this site for the past year.

Economists and commentators will ALWAYS be able to construct rational reasons for ANY scenario. Thus whether one agrees with the logic is largely irrelevant. The big question is whether the market has already factored in the consensus of reasoning.